What exercises are best for those just beginning again?

Options
So, I need some advice. I do this thing where I get really gunho about exercising and getting in shape and just jump right in. Thing is, I'm VERY out of shape, so I get frustrated with how out of shape I am and then give up. It's a vicious cycle.

Anyway, I'm wondering of some exercises/things you did to get back into exercise. I'm going to start walking at least half an hour everyday and go from there. I'm thinking also about maybe doing the 30 Day Shred when I"m slightly more in shape.

Any more suggestions? I don't have access to a gym right now but possibly in the future.

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender website, look up low impact They have hundreds of free videos.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the desire to go quick. I think walking is a smart approach. I am starting with 20 to 30 mins morning and some days evenings. That link above by Benjammin looks great too.
  • Weightever
    Weightever Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I started reading your message and was just about to recommend 30 Day Shred but then noticed you're already considering it a bit later. How about you try Tabata first! Have you heard about it? It's a very short high intensity workout where you exercise just 4 minutes. You do the exercises for 20 seconds and then rest 10 seconds and repeat this 8 times. And that's it. So, if you want to improve your cardio, you could for example do jumping jacks for 20 seconds, then rest 10 seconds and repeat this 4 times. Then you could do mountain climbers for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds and repeat that 4 times as well. And you're done. It's just 4 minutes but it can be quite an efficient 4 minutes ;) And if the mountain climbers feels too tough, do something else (like running in place). Just push it for the 4 minutes.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Theres beginner shred:) im doing it now. Start of walking for 10 minutes then build up from there don't increase mileage to fast or you get injuries. Also chris powell the workout is free on youtube level 1 tgru 3 and it is pretty good for heavier people too like morbidly obese so its low impact for knee n hip problems:)

And remember it takes time to build a strong body. Rome wasn't built in a day:)
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Just start walking. If you feel like your fitness is improving and your enjoying the feeling/results then look into the links that other people have provided. I'm sure that the Tabata suggestion comes with the best intentions, but the original form of it will destroy the most acompolished athletes. Maybe the poster meant HIIT which I believe is still too aggressive for someone starting out in exercise.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Just start walking. If you feel like your fitness is improving and your enjoying the feeling/results then look into the links that other people have provided. I'm sure that the Tabata suggestion comes with the best intentions, but the original form of it will destroy the most acompolished athletes. Maybe the poster meant HIIT which I believe is still too aggressive for someone starting out in exercise.

Yes, all this.

You don't want to injure yourself. I'm just starting to do some HIIT after 2 months of getting stronger, and building endurance.

Just to throw out there, Leslie Sansone is a good way to get moving as well. She does the walking routines. She's pretty beginner friendly and I started off with her, now she's my recovery day activity.