Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Had a body fat analysis - now what?

utahmomof10
utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
edited September 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I went this morning and had a Bod Pod body fat analysis. Here are the stats:

Height: 5'2"
Weight: 142
%fat: 36% (puts me right in the middle in the "excess fat" range)
RMR: 1158

I live an active lifestyle (see below), which gives me a TDEE according to the test of just over 2000 calories.

My regular exercise routine is:

*Walk 4.5 miles a day, 5 days a week at a brisk pace (~70 minutes per day)
*Weight lifting (squats, bench press, OHP, dead lifts - using the Wendler 5-3-1 program) 60 minutes a day, 4 days a week
*Martial arts class 2 days a week, 60 minutes each
*Frequently will add in a run or bike ride or other activity during the week at least once or twice

What I've been doing is putting my daily calorie goal at 1800 cal/day with 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. I figure that if my TDEE for maintenance is 2000, then that will give me a good deficit so I can continue to lose some weight while preserving as much muscle as possible.

There's just one thing I think I'm a little foggy on and just wanted to double check with people who likely know better than I do. So my question is this: Is the 1800 calories per day purely input, regardless of calories burned, or is that 1800 NET calories?

I've been logging and typically get anywhere from 1600 to 2200 calories per day, with a net of anywhere from 900 to 1400 depending on the day. I have been losing weight slowly. So it seems like I'm on the right track. I just wanted to make sure now that I have a little more solid information about my body.

Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    It should be 1800 total because the exercise is already figured into your TDEE.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    I agree with the above. Exercise is already included, so don't eat back your exercise calories. If it's confusing, change your calorie burn to 1 when you log your exercise, then MFP won't change your calorie number.
  • utahmomof10
    Thank you for your replies. That's what I was thinking, so just wanted to make sure I was thinking correctly. I couldn't imagine trying to eat enough to end up with a net of 1800 calories!

Thanks again!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    I just wanted to say well done to you, you're so active and still eating a good amount of food. So sensible - how refreshing.
  • utahmomof10
    Thank you, minties82! This is definitely a lifestyle thing for me, so no fad diets, no crazy restrictions or schedules. I'm much too busy being also a homeschool mom of many to allow my diet to rule my life. I enjoy being active, and I know I have to eat sensibly in order to support my ability to maintain that. :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    1800 calories will be your amount you eat - you won't be eating back exercise calories because they are all taken into consideration when calculating that number :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    40% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat.

and another 10% goes to...
  • utahmomof10
    Oh duh... I just saw this. It's actually 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    That sounds right to me -- and at the end of the day, all of the numbers are really predictive calculations....if it's working (and it is) then you know it's right :)
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    I will point out, that if your TDEE is 2000, and you eat 1800, that leaves only a 200 calorie deficit. This is less than 1/2 lb a week of loss. If you aren't extremely tight with tracking (weigh everything on a scale, minimal to no estimation, no cheat meals/days, etc), you may very easily put yourself out of the deficit entirely. Are you currently losing at a rate you are comfortable with on 1800 calories?
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    vismal wrote: »
    I will point out, that if your TDEE is 2000, and you eat 1800, that leaves only a 200 calorie deficit. This is less than 1/2 lb a week of loss. If you aren't extremely tight with tracking (weigh everything on a scale, minimal to no estimation, no cheat meals/days, etc), you may very easily put yourself out of the deficit entirely. Are you currently losing at a rate you are comfortable with on 1800 calories?

Yup the weight loss might be slow but also there is a chance of muscle bonus with the strength training and calorie level if OP is more at maintenance. Ultimately, results let folks know how to tweak.
  • utahmomof10
    Thank you, Vismal. Yes, I'm aware that that is a tight deficit on paper. On average, though, I burn anywhere from 500 to 1500 calories a day depending on the day. Less on the weekends, but more on Tuesdays and Thursdays when I'm doing my walking/jogging, weight training, and tae kwon do all on those days, so it averages out. Over the last 30 days, my average daily calorie burn is 700 just on logged exercise - I don't count day-to-day activity like managing a household of 7 children, nor the 2 little-kid TKD classes for which that I am an assistant instructor, nor the weekly one-hour weight lifting class that I've recently started taking. So I'm pretty confident that I am burning more calories than the 2000 TDEE accounts for. Also, on the days that I don't work out, I keep my caloric intake to closer to 1500-1600.

I have lost 4 pounds in the last 6 weeks, which I'm good with. I'm not looking to do any fast weight loss - I'm more interested in decreasing my body fat percentage and sustaining my current activity level, but without putting on any more weight/size. I do track closely and weigh most things, but not everything. I don't want to decrease my calories to less than 1800 because with the amount of exercise I do, I get too hungry! I'm planning on doing another BFA in December to check my progress on body comp. If it isn't improved, then I will reassess my plan then.