Binge and impulsive eating.

Options
Hey there! I was wondering who else out there struggles wit binge eating and impulsive eating!? And who has found things to help them!?

I haven't :( I can plan all day and night my meals but in that moment I don't care. Then I have guilt that is consuming. I eat to much even though I know I don't need what I am eating. But it doesn't help.

Any luck anyone?

Replies

• Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use to be that way, but I have two days a week planned out in which I can eat over the limit I set for myself. It is obviously still planning, but since I know I have two days where I can "overeat" I have been doing a lot better. Also, I try to limit activities that I used to associate with eating. the biggest one being Netflix. When I would binge Netflix, I would binge eat.

I also used to have this issue where I would have to make big life changes at the beginning of the week, so if I *kitten* up in the middle I would wait until the following Monday to start over. Gotta get over that too, if it's a problem.
  • Koorii
    Koorii Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Koorii wrote: »
    It is obviously still planning, but since I know I have two days where I can "overeat" I have been doing a lot better.

Obviously, on "overeating days" you shouldn't eat enough to negate all of your progress for the week. Another thought, If you are cutting your calories by too much, you are going to have stronger urges to splurge. The key to these lifestyle changes that we are making is sustainability. If it can't work for the rest of your life, then something isn't right.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Hey Amanda,
    Sometimes being 'too' restrictive with calories and not giving yourself adequate amounts of certain nutrients can cause 'binges', or so I've found anyway!

This is something that I personally struggle with from time to time. I find it really helps to re-assess the things I'm eating and drinking during these times and switch things about a bit to work out what nutrients I'm maybe not quite getting enough of to cause the 'extra hunger'.

Usually for me it's when I'm not getting enough fats or proteins.
    Also, when you've had a binge it can cause insulin spikes that cause false senses of hunger.. I personally find that if I don't put a stopper on it after a day of going well over, my binges could go on for days!

Thankfully mine are few and far between now but I certainly feel your pain, stick with it and work out what works for you.. it does get easier the more equipped with knowledge about your nutrient intake you get!

All the best!
  • pauldm1
    pauldm1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Ive always enjoyed eating to the point where i still to this day have to exercise conscious discipline not to eat for the pleasure of it.
    Here are some tricks i use to curb my appetite;

Have something sweet and small. Usually if i feel a need to make a massive plate of food at 1am and im already over mu macros ill have a small cookie or piece of chocolate and the sweetness halts my appetite.

Brush your teeth. Seriously. Next time youre hungry go brush your teeth with nice minty toothpaste and see if you still want food after.

Good luck!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    What changed for me was when I truly wanted this. I was so sick of being over weight, I was truly ready to commit. At that point, it was easy to drop all of the excuses and just do it. Before that point, I was just like you. I could plan it all out but couldn't follow through . the willpower has to come from within.unless your really ready to change , it won't happen. When your ready, it will. Only you can make it happen though. I could give you all the advice and tips in the world, but until your ready to actually change it would be useless.
  • pauldm1
    pauldm1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    What changed for me was when I truly wanted this. I was so sick of being over weight, I was truly ready to commit. At that point, it was easy to drop all of the excuses and just do it. Before that point, I was just like you. I could plan it all out but couldn't follow through . the willpower has to come from within.unless your really ready to change , it won't happen. When your ready, it will. Only you can make it happen though. I could give you all the advice and tips in the world, but until your ready to actually change it would be useless.

Basically this.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ...Then I have guilt that is consuming.
    before you overeat, stop and think about this for 10 minutes. really focus to the point where you actually experience those after binge feelings. if you still want overeat repeat the process. focus as hard as you can.

when overeating we are focusing really hard on this.
    ...but in that moment I don't care

you got this:-)

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm finding that my binges are reducing - generally they only happen once a month now when I have a "I am a bottomless pit" day.

The brushing teeth thing mentioned above works!

Other than that - I also do the small piece of 85% dark choc thing

Some days, well - binge happens. But then, there is always the day after. The key is not to make it an everyday occurence!
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    For me binge eating is always emotionally related. Getting my emotions under control through other means like writing, working out, or phoning a friend has been a good strategy for me.

The other problem I have with binge eating is often not having enough things to do. Going to the gym and being more active helps fill up some of the temptation time.