Need to stop drinking my calories

I'm sure there are others out there who struggle with drinking too many calories from drinking other than water. My weakness is Cola. I need support and help changing this bad bad habit! Looking for friends who will creep my diary and comment! Looking for friends who can help me learn to love water!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    -Diet soda
    -Hot tea
    -Cold tea
    -Coffee
    -Mio shots in water
    -Fresh lemon squeezed into water
    -Use those filter things to flavor your water with fruit, cucumbers, lime. Etc
    -Crystal light
    -crystal light with caffeine
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Switch to diet. Problem solved.
  • OsricTheKnight
    OsricTheKnight Posts: 340 Member
    I hate water.

If you like sweet colas, diet pepsi or coke zero are most similar to full on sugared drinks.

If you like iced tea, I am a nestea zero monster.

Haven't had a sugared drink in years - probably > 10 years. Still fat. So you probably want to cut out the liquid calories but make sure you don't replace them with something else.

Osric
  • i gave up a pretty serious soda habit -- coke and diet coke -- and exchanged it for water flavored with crystal light (iced tea flavor). I only have soda when I'm out at a restaurant or the movies.
  • lethwin
    lethwin Posts: 18 Member
    I know the feeling. I switched to diet cola, but always try to get in an extra 300 calorie workout for my favorite beverage: beer. Its a vice but so far, able to manage it within my calorie count. I think the most important thing to changing my lifestyle is still being able to enjoy my favorites as long as I keep it within my calorie count. So far its working ok. Good luck!
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    I would think diet or coke zero would solve your problem.

But I'm not sure if I can help you love water. I have never had a problem with water.

But I hear things like lemon or orange slices can help. I think basically anything to add flavour with out a large number of calories.

Water enhancers, I think these are just cordial marketed at adults, never seen them only heard about them online.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Try seltzer water. It has the fizz, but not the nasty aftertaste.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    i gave up a pretty serious soda habit -- coke and diet coke -- and exchanged it for water flavored with crystal light (iced tea flavor). I only have soda when I'm out at a restaurant or the movies.

Just out of interest and not knocking your life-choice in any way shape or form but why the cut-out of diet coke?

For some people it's just easier to cut out all fizzy drinks, I understand that but on a 'good for you' basis.. There is no research that proves diet drinks to be detrimental to your health?

At 1kcal per 250ml, I consider coke zero to be one of the more calorie-friendly options. :)

Hey, I drink it all the time and I've yet to see any detrimental effect to my health.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2015
    Your not alone. I drink Vitamin water 0 orange and lemonade. Have not drank colas in 8 years. Feel so much better. Hate drinking my calories. Try 8 oz when you wake up and 16 before bed. Its a start. I drink a lot of water at night.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    i gave up a pretty serious soda habit -- coke and diet coke -- and exchanged it for water flavored with crystal light (iced tea flavor). I only have soda when I'm out at a restaurant or the movies.

Just out of interest and not knocking your life-choice in any way shape or form but why the cut-out of diet coke?

For some people it's just easier to cut out all fizzy drinks, I understand that but on a 'good for you' basis.. There is no research that proves diet drinks to be detrimental to your health?

At 1kcal per 250ml, I consider coke zero to be one of the more calorie-friendly options. :)

Hey, I drink it all the time and I've yet to see any detrimental effect to my health.

The acids in Diet Coke and other similar drinks can be rough on dental health:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/555533-can-your-teeth-be-saved-if-you-stop-drinking-diet-soda/

• gymth0ttie
    gymth0ttie Posts: 51 Member
    edited September 2015
    Feel free to add ☺️ I need tips on foods that keep me full through out the day. I always get stuck on high calorie snacks.
    [Edited by MyFitnessPal Moderator]
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Cola....LOL, my samuel adams, hoegaarden, and hard root bears are 175 caloies a bottle. And i have to work out every day/night to work a six pack off. As far as Cola, drink diet and stop whining.
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

http://www.livestrong.com/article/555533-can-your-teeth-be-saved-if-you-stop-drinking-diet-soda/

After drinking, you can brush or even just rinse and you can eliminate any potential damage to your teeth.

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member

After drinking, you can brush or even just rinse and you can eliminate any potential damage to your teeth.

Does chewing gum work?
  • Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »

Does chewing gum work?

You could ask your dentist, like I asked mine who told me about the brushing/rinsing.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Sparkling mineral water.

More room for chocolate!

You're welcome.
  • i gave up a pretty serious soda habit -- coke and diet coke -- and exchanged it for water flavored with crystal light (iced tea flavor). I only have soda when I'm out at a restaurant or the movies.

When I started working out with a personal trainer in August 2013, she worked with me to not only incorporate exercise, but to tweak my diet. The jury is still kind of out on the health issues related to diet soda and she recommended switching to water. For me, it was one of the best changes. I now drink upwards of 72 oz per day of water (with the crystal light flavoring) -- which, I think is better for my body than drinking that same amount of soda.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    Booze....my weakness, but I am not giving it up... I just work out more.
    love my wine.......................