Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bread?

I'm on a mission to get abs and I keep hearing that if I limit my bread and white potato intake (not all carbs though) it'll help me achieve my goal faster. I'm already working out, lifting heavy, and eating high protein. My body fat is still going down just very slowly.

So I keep getting advice to eat only 1 bread or white potato product a day. Like if I eat an English muffin with breakfast, I can't have any more bread or any chip/fry/etc for the day, but I can eat fruit, rice, etc.

I don't understand what this is about. Does anyone do this? Why would my body process bread carbs differently than rice or fruit carbs? Can anyone explain this to me?

I LOVE bread, I eat it for every meal currently (and just aim to stay within my nutrition goals). And I love snacking on chips, pretzels, etc. I'd hate to have to limit those to get my abs to show.

Replies

• Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    I don't mean any snark here...but do you have think you have good abdominal definition you feel is somehow just hidden?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    My understanding of abs it's all about low body fat percentage. That you get abs in the kitchen, by eating less.

So what ever you do to lose weight should help reveal your abs.

So I'm not sure about your carb question.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    I don't mean any snark here...but do you have think you have good abdominal definition you feel is somehow just hidden?

This is snark when you say you don't mean snark. It's snark :s Everybody has abs or we wouldn't be able to walk or ride a bike or swim. A layer of fat is covering abs, some thicker than others. Even you have abs. SMH
  • queenliz99
    You get abs in the kitchen meaning if you get your body fat lower they will show. Eating in a deficit is how they will show. Lower body fat. You also need to lift heavy. Bread or carbs are good, too many calories are not good.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Theres nothing wrong with eating bread. If you're in a deficit, you're going to lose.
  • Venus_Red
    Not at all.
    What I mean is, muscles need to be sculpted and developed. OP mentioned wanting their abs to "show". This doesn't mean having defined abdominal structure. I was curious if she understood that her ab muscles were not just magically defined and hidden under fat that could be lost to reveal definition.

Not snark.
  • queenliz99
    Not at all.
    What I mean is, muscles need to be sculpted and developed. OP mentioned wanting their abs to "show". This doesn't mean having defined abdominal structure. I was curious if she understood that her ab muscles were not just magically defined and hidden under fat that could be lost to reveal definition.

Not snark.

Not sure what you are saying. You realize you have abs with low body fat they will show.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    I've never heard of your method and I can't understand any reasoning behind it. So you can only have one bread but yet can have any other carb product you wish ? That doesn't seem right.
    Eat at a deficit, lower your body fat percentage and continue to lift heavy .
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Education. Education is just so important.
  • Venus_Red
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Not at all.

Not snark.

Not sure what you are saying. You realize you have abs with low body fat they will show.

They will. As a large rectangle muscle. I believe OP is after 'abs' in the colloquial. And I think you understand that as well.
  • queenliz99
    Not at all.

Not snark.

They will. As a large rectangle muscle. I believe OP is after 'abs' in the colloquial. And I think you understand that as well.

She wants her abdominal muscles to show. I understand what she meant but I do think you know what you mean.
  • Venus_Red
    Sigh.
    So abdominal muscles can absolutely be unmasked when fat layers are removed. They are not, however, defined into what most recognize as 'abs' unless they have been worked toward, a little. That is my only point.

I was aiming for just a bit of help for the OP. What was your aim?
  • TrailBlazzinMN
    TrailBlazzinMN Posts: 509 Member
    Some people have a reaction to bread (and other foods) which can cause inflammation, bloating, etc. This is pretty common knowledge. There have been countless people who have ditched foods that didn't work well with their body and started getting more lean and ripped than they ever have.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    holly55555 wrote: »
    I'm on a mission to get abs and I keep hearing that if I limit my bread and white potato intake (not all carbs though) it'll help me achieve my goal faster. I'm already working out, lifting heavy, and eating high protein. My body fat is still going down just very slowly.

So I keep getting advice to eat only 1 bread or white potato product a day. Like if I eat an English muffin with breakfast, I can't have any more bread or any chip/fry/etc for the day, but I can eat fruit, rice, etc.

I don't understand what this is about. Does anyone do this? Why would my body process bread carbs differently than rice or fruit carbs? Can anyone explain this to me?

I LOVE bread, I eat it for every meal currently (and just aim to stay within my nutrition goals). And I love snacking on chips, pretzels, etc. I'd hate to have to limit those to get my abs to show.

Bread has nothing to do with abs. If you are trying to lose weight, stay in your calorie goals. If you are trying only to build muscle, eat at maintenance or a slight surplus and add weight lift.

• SLLRunner

This is snark when you say you don't mean snark. It's snark :s Everybody has abs or we wouldn't be able to walk or ride a bike or swim. A layer of fat is covering abs, some thicker than others. Even you have abs. SMH

This.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Thanks guys, I didn't understand this either. Sooo happy I don't have to get rid of bread!

Also, I am working my abs, as I mentioned, through working out and lifting heavy and by doing plenty of core exercises, I just have fat on my stomach still.
  • SLLRunner
    Thanks guys, I didn't understand this either. Sooo happy I don't have to get rid of bread!

Also, I am working my abs, as I mentioned, through working out and lifting heavy and by doing plenty of core exercises, I just have fat on my stomach still.

Homemade bread is the best, by the way. I will be making some on Friday.
  • queenliz99

Abs take along time to reveal, you just have to keep at it. Patience:)
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    for abs to show takes a level of commitment that not all are willing to do, that is why you dont see a lot of people with visible abs...