Martial art injury?

Options
Yesterday I was at my Tae Kwan Do class and was working on a side kick drill. I apparently straightened my leg too early (the instructors were running at me with pads and I had to stop them). Instant pain, but was able to shake it off stand full weight on it and continue.

Today I'm having no issues with it holding me up, but I am having mild pain while walking and a slightly more intense but still mild pain when kneeling. No pain when resting.

But now I'm wondering if I should wait to go back to the next class this Thursday, or wait until Saturday, or if I should take a longer break.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,620 Member
    Options
    DON'T exercise. Take a week off to see how you feel. If it's still bothersome (meaning pain) then have it assessed by and orthopedist.
    Don't know why the run at you with pads. Side kick drill should be on a stationary bag or pad, unless of course you're a competitive fighter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ShyPanda93
    ShyPanda93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    DON'T exercise. Take a week off to see how you feel. If it's still bothersome (meaning pain) then have it assessed by and orthopedist.
    Don't know why the run at you with pads. Side kick drill should be on a stationary bag or pad, unless of course you're a competitive fighter.

I'm not competitive when it comes to a lot of tournaments and UFC stuff, but I do full contact sparring and eventually will have my confidence up enough for a tournament.
  • Backagainbbg3
    Backagainbbg3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Go to the next class and go even harder so u hurt it worse
    Ignore your body telling you there's something wrong
    Only think of tomorrow and not a month down the road
    Obviously it's bad advice but I know it helps me to hear it that way
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Go and feel it out. You may be able to do some things or some things on one side. Just explain the injury and do whatever you can do without pain.