kidney stones

Options
Anyone else been stuck with them... Had to take a few days too do nothing now I'm trying to return to normal but oh holy hell does it hurt . Any recommendations or exercise that wont feel like death ?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I've had kidney stones since about 2008.

I ended up in surgery that year to have one removed ... too big, got stuck. That was beyond painful! And since then, every time they do a CT scan, there's more lurking in there.

Exercise doesn't really bother me too much, but when I finish, a hotwater bottle against my kidney sure feels nice. :)

How is walking? Or cycling? Just something casual at first.
  • LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Been there done that so many times i lost count. I find that anything i do that involves jumping or running it tends to jar them loose.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Recently went through this.

I was rather lucky that by the time I was seen by ER the first stone had likely dislodged and pain started to recede. By the time I was home it had faded altogether.

What was worse for me was not knowing... I run trails deep in the mountains and the prospect of being caught out there with a second stone (originally they'd diagnosed two) causing pain was not something I wanted to face, so I dialled back activity for a couple weeks and avoided long trail runs.

The combo of drugs they gave me did affect my running a little but not enough to stop me from going.

Ultimately it was determined that the first diagnosis of two stones was in error; I'd passed the one and was clear.

Avoiding a recurrence is high on my list but still waiting for the analysis to be returned. High animal protein low water? Insufficient hydration? Low calcium intake for when I was fatter/less healthy and apparently lactose intolerant (since rectified)? Obesity (before)? Too much vitamin C (nope, I don't do that). In any case... Dunno. In the meantime I'm hydrating well. I suspect hydration + obesity but we'll see.
  • smileymaxine
    smileymaxine Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Running on the treadmill yesterday ended up back with killer kidney pain ( still recovering from chronic sprained ankle) so basically wanted to give up and lie on the floor) core wasn't the most fun but got an abs and *kitten* class today so will just hope to not want to cry after.

Still no idea why I have this ... If its from too much spinach id cry