Outdoor Runners - What do you do when it Snows?

Options
13»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    Figure out what to wear, using this page at RunnersWorld.com as a starting point. It's important not to overdress, because if you do, you'll sweat too much, get damp, and then get cold. I like shirts and jackets with zips for temperature regulation, and I often start cold-weather runs with a hat and gloves which I remove after the first 5-10 minutes.

On fresh snow, I prefer trail shoes. My Salomon Speedcross 3's have great lugs.

On compacted snow and ice, I wear my regular shoes with a pair of Kahtoola Nanospikes. I have run on very smooth, slippery ice with them and always felt as if I had sufficient traction. DIY screw shoes are another option; if you make them right, you can remove the screws once the snow and ice have melted.

When running on snow and ice, it's best to slow down a bit and not make any really sudden turns. Being aware of the possibility of a fall makes it less likely that you will fall, and if you do, more likely that you will fall gracefully.

FWIW, I disagree. I prefer to be too warm. A constant layer of fresh sweat is the best way, for me, to stay warm. I just can't stop. Once I stop sweating, I do get cold... so I only stop when the run is over and I'm back at the car/house.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I find that trail running shoes have more grip than road runners so that really helps on snow and ice.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bumping to follow :)
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Enjoy! Last year my parkrun turned into a parkskate it was so icy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I make a bet that I am the most northerly runner of you-all. 53 degrees north.

I've already bought my cleats. I have my balaclava and my insulated underclothes.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I make a bet that I am the most northerly runner of you-all. 53 degrees north.

Well, this summer I went running at 65° 30" N (Talknafjörður, Iceland). But I normally live a bit further south. Keep in mind, though, that everyone in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland north of Dublin, the northern parts of Germany and Poland, most of Belarus, and the vast majority of Russia also lives north of 53°. I'm sure that at least one of them is here! :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    winter is coming....

DARN IT! Why did you have to remind me? I was hoping that I could skip winter. But now since you said it....

• KateTVM
    KateTVM Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Winter running in CT! Definitely layer base, mid and outer depending on temps. Gloves keep knuckles warm, don't forget hat or ear covering too. Also a neck/face warmer muff has been my friend. When it's snowy I have a pair of water resistant Brooks adrenalines, with wool socks. Hope this helps!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I run in every weather. If there is a lot of snow I might use crampons on my shoes otherwise, trail shoes work very well. Clothes wise- layers, layers and more layers! I might use a running backpack and when I get to hot I just carry the clothes in my backpack.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Another vote for layers, wool, and trail shoes. I've also found a couple indoor tracks nearby that I use when I'm feeling wimpy or it's really bad out

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Please don't hate me ... I live in Southern California. No snow. But I've paid my dues by growing up in Michigan, and living in upstate NY, Colorado and Oklahoma. This is my reward!

In the cold, I wore layers of lightweight, thermal clothing.