Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Having a rough time.

I'm having a difficult time lately with being positive. I've been working out and eating healthy, but I'm not seeing much movement on the scale. I know, I know, I know... it's not about the number on the scale, but during my first round of losing weight while exercising and eating right, the scale was a huge motivation for me. Even a pound a week I'd be happy with..but I'm not even seeing that. I don't log my food all the time, but I am fully aware of what I'm taking in. My diet hasn't really changed and neither has my portions. I just feel like I'm failing myself. I hate the fact that I'm miserable eating healthy foods and even more miserable while working out (I've never liked exercise to begin with) but I feel I'm wasting my time and not enjoying life. Whew. Venting over. Sorry MFP friends :/

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Two important things:
    1 it is absolutely imperative that you weigh and log your food. That is the only way this works.
    2 stop focusing on eating the so called healthy foods. Eat small portions and lower calories.
    :)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,733 Member
    First of all, start keeping track of your measurements. The scale is only ONE tool to determine progress.

Second, if you are eating foods you don't like then find ones comparable that you DO like. Life is too short to be eating food you aren't satisfied with. You can still eat "unhealthy" food (up to personal definition on that one) but in smaller quantities.

Third, same thing with working out. If you don't like formal, structured work outs find activities you DO like. Just be more active on a daily basis and don't confine yourself to a program you don't like. You can do it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    First of all, start keeping track of your measurements. The scale is only ONE tool to determine progress.

Second, if you are eating foods you don't like then find ones comparable that you DO like. Life is too short to be eating food you aren't satisfied with. You can still eat "unhealthy" food (up to personal definition on that one) but in smaller quantities.

Third, same thing with working out. If you don't like formal, structured work outs find activities you DO like. Just be more active on a daily basis and don't confine yourself to a program you don't like. You can do it!

^This. I also recommend photos as well (I used to have a lump of fat on the back of my neck, and there's no real way to measure that, but it's gone, so I usually recommend all three methods of tracking progress).

There are so many foods and exercises available to you, there is no point in making your self do/eat something you hate. You can eat the foods you enjoy, smaller amounts. Supplement with some lower calorie/high volume foods to keep you feeling full.
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    To be honest, find an activity you DO like doing. I want to lift weights to gain muscle but have no patience for it so I run. I need to be moving to feel like I am accomplishing anything. Find your thing.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,733 Member
    Oh, yes, @auddii is right! I forgot about pictures. Those are helpful, too.

Also, one thing I forgot to add is mindset. The mental aspect is the key to success. If you don't like what you are eating or what you are doing for activity 9 times out of 10 you won't be successful. Change your mindset to "I can lose weight. I can eat food I like and find activities I like." It's a long-term trial and error process. Keep track of what you like and what works for you.
  • kevingacke
    kevingacke Posts: 22 Member
    It is not always about weight, but body transformation. That is where pictures come in. Your weight may be staying the same, but your body is slowly transforming into a much leaner machine. Find what you do enjoy fitness wise and slowly work that into your routine. Stay Strong.
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    How do you find what you enjoy as far as exercise? I freaking hate it all. It's boring as hell. It doesn't seem like they make classes for people who aren't already fit, it's embarrassing to not be able to continue or keep up.