How did you gain your weight in the first place?

Options
I just came from a weight watchers meeting where I brought up the issue of emotional eating. I very seldom overeat because of hunger--it's almost always to soothe my frayed emotions. But most of the ladies didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I just thought that was how everyone gained weight. Anyone?

Replies

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Boredom, lack of ambition. Didnt make time for myself to workout and I always failed miserably at eating well if I didnt work out.
    Quite honestly I just really love food. It tastes good. And I ate too much and didnt move enough. I have found my balance now.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    stress, boredom, hungry and not caring about the nutrition and calorie count. That is how I gained my weight.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I ate too much.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I ate too much and moved too little.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    College, law school, beer, desire to eat take-out Thai 3 nights a week, lack of exercise, etc.

I'm not really an emotional eater. I just like to eat (and drink). From age 19-25 or so, I didn't do too well with moderation.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I ate way too much because I just didn't care. Not an emotional eater. I'm one who won't eat when stressed or upset.
  • momoharuno
    momoharuno Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I really had no concept of portion sizes and obviously was eating too much, in a way I think it was a bit of denial too because I knew I was putting too much on my plate but I could just wave away the thought and eat my food. I'm thankful I had a problem that is easily cured by a food scale. I have a lot of sympathy for emotional eaters because it's a lot harder to fix the root problem, I wish you the best of luck in your journey! :)
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Unholy amounts of cereal. Coke too, when I was younger.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I was grieving and stopped home cooking and pre preparing my breakfast and lunch. I started grabbing convenience food and gained 10lbs. I'm doing okay now- but I nipped it in the bud before it became an issue.
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Two back to back pregnancies - stayed active at the gym and walking with the first and miscarried at 12 weeks so just lay still in fear for most of my second pregnancy and gained 5 stone by the time my little girl arrived :/
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »
    Two back to back pregnancies - stayed active at the gym and walking with the first and miscarried at 12 weeks so just lay still in fear for most of my second pregnancy and gained 5 stone by the time my little girl arrived :/
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I ate too much.

I ate too much because I love food and really didn't care.
  • MrsCaitlinBeltran
    MrsCaitlinBeltran Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Oh, you are not alone! I am a recovering emotional eater. Anytime anything happened where I felt out of control, I'd want a treat to "make me feel better". Unfortunately, it doesn't really work--just makes you feel worse. Nowadays, I openly talk with my hubby or my mom about my fears or things that I'm getting anxiety over when I feel like I'm going to eat to stuff my emotions. Doing this has definitely helped to curb my emotional eating and has just made my life better all around. I hope you have someone you can talk with--it really helps! :)
  • floskiis
    floskiis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have gone up and down a lot over the years, used to have anorexia and since recovery I have found it very hard to find a happy medium between eating too much and too little. Last November I moved from England to America and I have found the culture surrounding food very different, as a result I've gained weight just from being here surrounded by fast food joints and having regular meals out.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Cheesecake factory. Haha. Just eating what i wanted when I wanted. I do the same just in moderation to fit my calorie goal.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I never ate a "lot"..I drank a lot of soda and what I did eat was high calorie and low volume, so over 10 years I got up to 337.
    Now I'm watching my calories and down to 280 this morning =)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater, although there's a whole long list of things, including just liking good food and restaurants.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,913 Member
    Options
    Sure, lots of emotional eating here. After I learned ways to soothe myself other than with food, I gained weight from mindless eating. Fortunately, that's a lot easier for me to overcome. Really all I need is to commit to log my food and not go over my calories.

Exercise is great for soothing myself. I especially like to weed or prune. And since I have a garden in my back yard and work from home, it's very accessible. When I worked in an office, I would exercise before work or at lunch prophylactically, and go for a walk around the building if needed.