Slightly baffled

Options
I have been losing at a steady pace for 6 months and am now close to a normal BMI - having been 210 lbs @ 5'7" and well into obese I am now 162 pounds and about 2 pounds away from that magic zone. All well and very good. Last Friday I had an accident in the gym which involved me falling rather ignominiously off one of those jumping boxes and hitting my back and head on the way down. I have been waiting for the pain to go before returning to the gym - it's amazing how much we use our backs for! Because I haven't been exercising I have been netting my calories through diet alone and am losing hand over fist. Previously I ate more, through earned calories, eating back about half of my MFP logged burn. I am not complaining, but I don't understand why this change has happened. I weigh my food using a digital scale. I log truthfully. Any ideas?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Losing the water weight that was retained as part of the muscle repair process? Overestimating exercise calories?
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Could be. That means it will come back when I hit the gym again, hopefully next week, doesn't it? It will be interesting to see. I am sure the machines / MFP do overestimate, which is why I only eat back half. Maybe I need to drop that proportion.
  • NatashaLP2014
    NatashaLP2014 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I would say it's a mixture of losing the exercise water weight and less overall food in your GI track. Once you start exercising again and eating more volume again, both will go back up. (So don't panic when that happens!)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    The water part, eventually, probably. Possibly not the overestimated exercise calories, unless you go back to eating the same amount.
  • Carnhot
    Options
    I am finding I can manage on the diet calories alone, but it's not something I would want to do long term. Good job I am nearly there.
  • Carnhot
    Options
    Well, the pattern has continued, meaning I have hit a healthy BMI 3 days before my 52nd birthday. I had hoped for this but not expected it, so I'm chuffed!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    Well, the pattern has continued, meaning I have hit a healthy BMI 3 days before my 52nd birthday. I had hoped for this but not expected it, so I'm chuffed!

Congratulations! That's great!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Congratulations :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    That happened to me a few years ago. I had a back injury and had to stop all activities and exercise. About a week later I lost about 5-7 lbs in a matter of days, and it stayed off since I couldn't go back to exercise. I knew it was water, but it was fun to have happen... the losses, not the injury. LOL
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I have had similar things happen too -- enforced period without exercise, increased loss. Likely water weight/less food in system, but it does make you feel less bad about the time off, although I've always wanted to get back to the exercise anyway.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Awesome! Happy birthday!!
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It's great when your diet nets and your weight work without excessive amounts of exercise. May I suggest swimming until you get back to the gym?
  • Carnhot
    Options
    Easing back into exercise today with a 3.5 mile walk. I can feel my back where I fell but am no longer incapacitated. I REALLY hope that weight whoosh stays off!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

fabulous-cat-meme.jpg

• Carnhot
    Options
    Hey, that's my cat!