Satiating food -- What keeps you feeling full?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm a volume eater, so eating lots of vegetables with all my meals is important to me. I also find fruit reasonably filling as a snack.

Other than that, protein seems to make the most difference, especially from whole foods (protein powder in oatmeal is better than nothing, but some smoked salmon on the side will be more filling). Related to this, I tend not to stay full from calories I drink at all.

In the articles I read, where there was lots of conflicting information, calories from drinks was uniformly agreed upon to be the least satiating.

I've felt completely satisfied from a protein drink, yet left wanting more after a big meal. For me it seems to be a lot more related to mood than actual food intake sadly

This is much more often the case for me too -- most of my "hunger" is just mental.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm a volume eater, so eating lots of vegetables with all my meals is important to me. I also find fruit reasonably filling as a snack.

Other than that, protein seems to make the most difference, especially from whole foods (protein powder in oatmeal is better than nothing, but some smoked salmon on the side will be more filling). Related to this, I tend not to stay full from calories I drink at all.

In the articles I read, where there was lots of conflicting information, calories from drinks was uniformly agreed upon to be the least satiating.

I've felt completely satisfied from a protein drink, yet left wanting more after a big meal. For me it seems to be a lot more related to mood than actual food intake sadly
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Another vote for balance.

But frankly what will fill me up for 4 hours one day might fill me up for 30 minutes the next, so I guess I'm a bit weird.

This is much more often the case for me too -- most of my "hunger" is just mental.

I have the same experience, but I don't think it's weird anymore, and not sad, it's normal, just something we don't know enough about yet.

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    potatoes,quinoa,peanut butter,water
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I find expanding polyurethane foam really satiating.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    I find expanding polyurethane foam really satiating.
    Yum???? :#

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For me, it's fiber, which isn't surprising, since it hangs out longest in the stomach. Meat is very filling, but sometimes too much. If I eat over 100g of chicken, it's going to sit in there like a rock.

I stay really low on fat, so couldn't say either way there.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Fiber and then protein...I had fiber one with greek yogurt and fruit at lunch today and I feel stuffed still. I usually have a snack around now and don't even want it.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes...bananas....cheese....chicken....peanut butter
  • flotsette
    flotsette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find that I need to eat a balance of a lot of protein, fat, and fiber. But what's surprised me is that if I eat no carbs, or too few, I get hungry VERY suddenly and sooner. If I shoot for about 20 net carbs from fruit or starch at a meal as well, my satiety ramps down more slowly and lasts longer. This gives me time to notice I'm hungry and start planning to eat something, rather than suddenly finding myself going from fine to ravenous.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Protein has a preponderance of nods in the satiety department. A protein drink is in a different category than a glass of orange juice or a Gatorade.

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. Reading them, and rereading some of the summary of studies again, I'm feeling better prepared.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes, for me cooked foods definitely potatoes and oatmeal.

Fresh foods: Apple (cut into slices), melons, carrots, and most vegetables which i can crunch on.

Also, any time i add peanut butter to oatmeal I start feeling sickly full 3/4 a way through my portion.

edited to add: oh yes, greek yogurt (the full fat variety)
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    flotsette wrote: »
    I find that I need to eat a balance of a lot of protein, fat, and fiber. But what's surprised me is that if I eat no carbs, or too few, I get hungry VERY suddenly and sooner. If I shoot for about 20 net carbs from fruit or starch at a meal as well, my satiety ramps down more slowly and lasts longer. This gives me time to notice I'm hungry and start planning to eat something, rather than suddenly finding myself going from fine to ravenous.

This. Me too. I starve without my carbs, so I tend to have even half a sweet potato between lunch and dinner, makes all the difference, and I don't go into crazy, hangry mode...Took years to figure it out...
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Mostly creamy, rich foods. A stronger taste seems to help. Usually they're high in fat, but not always.

Melted cheeses (esp. blue, sharp cheddar), peanut butter, an instant chocolate mousse mix I recently found and make with skim milk. The last one kept me almost uncomfortably full for hours on 2 servings at 240 cals total. Really strange.

I think I may be an outlier.

You are not alone! My go-to when I'm really hungry but cannot have a full meal is almost always cheese in one form or another. A slice of creamy Havarti will satisfy me far longer than twice the calories in just about anything else. A little pureed avocado on toast or a lite tortilla hits the spot. Protein is good, but fat is better. Fiber does nothing for me, no matter how much I eat. Nothing good anyway. :p
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Plain baked potato or 4 ounces of chicken. Both!
  • bbycakes1963
    bbycakes1963 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Protein! A little goes a long way.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    Since starting MFP, my typical day looks like this in terms of food:

9am: Light breakfast (usually cereal or a can of fruit, but under 400 calories)
    11am: Snack (usually crackers or cheese-nips, but under 300 calories)
    1pm: Lunch (usually a couple hot pockets and a can of diet soda, but under 650 calories)
    4pm: Snack (same as above snack)
    7pm: Dinner (heaviest meal of the day, usually around 800 calories)

This gets me right to my calorie goal, and I pretty much don't suffer from hunger throughout the day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For size, meat is the most satiating. A fatty cut. I can eat a 3oz steak and feel quick full. A 3 oz potato? Meh.

Veggies don't fill me up. I tend to stop eating them, not because I am full, but because I don't want anymore. The only times I get full on veggies is if they have a fat on them like butter or cheese.

Same goes for fruit.

A big coffee with coconut oil, some whipping cream, and a half serving of protein powder, whipped into a froth, is probably second for me. Yum.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Super lean protein is not as satiating for me as something like a fatty ribeye steak.

I could eat a pound of sashimi and be hungry again in 2 hours time.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What keeps me full is high volume. I like to eat A LOT of food, so naturally a lot of my choices are lower in calories. I eat a crap ton of veggies, lean meat, greek yogurt, etc. The only issue is my fat intake is on the low side but I do work on incorporating fats I feel a lot better when I'm getting enough.