Do I have to have a seperate cardio workout??

I am struggeling to loose these 5 last pounds, so I have been wearing a heart rate monitor to help increase the intensity of my workouts. On my average workout day I start with 20 minutes of cardio, where my heart rate will range from 155-170, followed by 40-45 minutes of wt lifting where I try to keep my heart rate between 155 and 170 as well. I work out 4 days a week and have been told by others that I may need to bump up my cardio to 45-60 minutes plus the wt lifting to get my results. My question is, since I am keeping my heart rate elevated during my wt lifting, do I really need to increase my cardio minutes to get the results I am looking for? Could I just work harder for my 20 minutes and shoot for a 160-180 heart rate. My resting heart rate is approximately 45-55.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Don't worry about heart rate during lifting. Plus, the calorie burn estimate your heart rate gives while lifting is much more than you're actually burning so don't eat those back. You can do more cardio if you want but cardio isn't mandatory.