1 week business tour + night shift. Diet suggestions?

Options
Hello,

Week after next I have to go on a business tour and will be working in the night shift of 12 hours in a hospital. Have never been to a hospital before so not sure how the shifts and food choices would be and how often would I be able to eat, but I am planning to keep some healthy snacks with me there. I will get to know by next week if I can take some food in along with me.

In this case I wanted some suggestions of the healthy vegetarian snacks I can make / buy from the market. I thought of keeping some protein bars along, but they have lots of sugar in it. Also, I would not be able to exercise in gym for that entire week but will be walking during my shift so will have some light exercise.

Ideas/suggestions for healthy snacks?

Replies

• knekno
    knekno Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of the hospital, a cafeteria may be open at night. Do you normally work nights? If you're not worked nights before, it's easier to stay awake if you eat more protein, and a lot less carbs. It does help to eat something every few hours--Salad with protein, hardboiled eggs or tuna salad if you eat them, a handful of almonds or walnuts, yogurt. Welcome to the darkside!
  • optimisticShark
    optimisticShark Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Depending on the size of the hospital, a cafeteria may be open at night. Do you normally work nights? If you're not worked nights before, it's easier to stay awake if you eat more protein, and a lot less carbs. It does help to eat something every few hours--Salad with protein, hardboiled eggs or tuna salad if you eat them, a handful of almonds or walnuts, yogurt. Welcome to the darkside!

No I have never worked in night shifts before. And have never been to hospital before. I have made a mix of almonds, cashews, walnuts, coconut and apricot already for the trip. I hope there is a coffee machine around to keep me awake for 4 nights. :)
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yes, trail mix style snacks are awesome! I'd suggest portioning them into different size amounts, so you can be flexible if you find something at the hospital you want to eat also.