I need help with protein.

Options
cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
My goals are set to 35% for carbs and protein and 30% fat. Despite my best efforts I am constantly falling short on protein. My diary is opened but in general I eat meat/fish, 2-3 eggs daily. Cheese, yogurt, oatmeal, lunch meat and tuna.

I'm wondering if my protein goal is too high, or if not, do I need to consider a protein powder?

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    You just need more knowledge and experience about protein rich foods. Use this forum to research protein rich food choices. It isn't that difficult to hit 100-130 grams of protein from whole food sources.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    You just need more knowledge and experience about protein rich foods. Use this forum to research protein rich food choices. It isn't that difficult to hit 100-130 grams of protein from whole food sources.

No.....I believe I have a decent grasp on what foods have protein. I'm not eating much in the way of beans and the like because I don't want all the carbs that go along with.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose those macros? It is an effort to keep your carbs that lowlow. Why go to the effort absent a good reason ?
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    Why did you choose those macros? It is an effort to keep your carbs that lowlow. Why go to the effort absent a good reason ?

Do you don't have an answer that's on topic? Ok. Thank you. :)

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    cnbbnc wrote: »

No.....I believe I have a decent grasp on what foods have protein. I'm not eating much in the way of beans and the like because I don't want all the carbs that go along with.

If you did, then you would have no problem taking in what you need, protein-wise, from whole foods. And you also wouldn't fear carbs...
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Make chickpeas your friend and use in your smoothies, made as scrambled eggs, etc. Extremely filling and high in protein and fiber and cheap too; 94 cents per can @ Target.
  • saraha991
    saraha991 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Make chickpeas your friend and use in your smoothies, made as scrambled eggs, etc. Extremely filling and high in protein and fiber and cheap too; 94 cents per can @ Target.

Why have I never done this? Good idea!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Protein is high, fat is low. 25 percent (30 max) for protein.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

If you did, then you would have no problem taking in what you need, protein-wise, from whole foods. And you also wouldn't fear carbs...

This 100%.

Op, don't be scared of carbs. They aren't the debil . Google protein rich foods, print the list and cross off anything you don't like. Then eat the foods that are on the list. Its that simple. If all else fails, get a good protein powder to supplement the gaps in your protein goal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    OP, you're not that far off most days. If it were me personally, I might make a couple different decisions. Maybe something protein rich instead of a piece of fruit, a real protein bar instead of the fiber 1 bar (something with 20 grams protein), added protein powder to coffee, greek yogurt, or just water/almond milk for a shake. I've noticed I struggle a LITTLE more when my calories are on the lower side too and this is how I have fix it up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    why is your protein target set so high?
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've got mine set to 35% fat and carbs, 30% protein. I thought I would never reach that, but being able to go back and see how my choices affect my macros helps a lot. It also helps to pre log my day, and then go back in and add a protein rich snack instead of more carbs.

It did take me some time to adjust too, and try new snacks and meals. I do sub my diet with a half serving of protein powder, a few times a week. I'm always able to meet my goal on those days.
  • cnbbnc
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I set it a bit higher because I'm concerned about losing muscle. I'm also doing heavy lifting workouts. It's not that I'm afraid of carbs exactly. I'm just trying to keep it steered more towards fruits and veg, and keeping the others in check. Some days I do go over my carb limit, and I don't sweat it. The 35% is more to keep me watching.... I do want to try to attain the protein goal however.

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Use this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12LrMGp8HiWl2FW-odoexKBMxeDTMUhwd4ooT6VoolJk/edit#gid=0

You can sort by:

Protein per 100g
    Protein kcal / Total kcal (P%kcal)
    Protein Quality
    Cost of Protein per 100g

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I set it a bit higher because I'm concerned about losing muscle. I'm also doing heavy lifting workouts. It's not that I'm afraid of carbs exactly. I'm just trying to keep it steered more towards fruits and veg, and keeping the others in check. Some days I do go over my carb limit, and I don't sweat it. The 35% is more to keep me watching.... I do want to try to attain the protein goal however.

it seems excessively high to me...i get in anywhere from 0.6 - 0.8 grams per Lb of body mass (usually somewhere in the middle) and I haven't had any issues...protein is important, but the way many go on about it here, you'd think you were going to whither away and burn all of your muscle if you aren't getting exactly 1 gram per Lb of LBM.

if you're really hell bent on hitting it, you're likely going to have to supplement.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Use this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12LrMGp8HiWl2FW-odoexKBMxeDTMUhwd4ooT6VoolJk/edit#gid=0

You can sort by:

Protein per 100g
    Protein kcal / Total kcal (P%kcal)
    Protein Quality
    Cost of Protein per 100g

I was just going to suggest this document. AndrikosDE went to a lot of trouble to create this very awesome spreadsheet that is very helpful if you're looking to get the most protein bang for your calorie buck.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Depending on OP's calorie target, 35% may well be 0.6g/lb. 175 pounds and 1200 calories a day would produce that result, for instance.

OP, you need to get 1g of protein for every 11.5 calories in order to hit that target. That is a very high protein density. Oatmeal is 27 calories per gram of protein. Chickpeas are 19. Yoplait is 34; fat-free plain Greek yogurt is 5.5, but flavored Greek yogurt is more like 16. Eggs are 13.

Chicken breast, lean white fish, and supplements are your best bet if you've made a well-reasoned decision to have your protein at that level.
  • cfuerte1
    cfuerte1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You need to eat half your body weight in protein. High protein in take is very important. But, you need to be lifting or exercising as well. Eat LOTS of good carbs and fats. Avacados, fish oil supplements, flax seed oil, coconut oil. This app is not that accurate. But, its good to help you see what your consuming.
  • cfuerte1
    cfuerte1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Watch your sugar in take! Yogurt has TONS of sugar, yoplait and all. Skip the yogurt if you can! Or use Greek yogurt plain and add buts, blueberries, strawberries and granola yourself for a treat.