Need tips to recover from a binge

Options
abtsdiet
abtsdiet Posts: 39 Member
edited September 2015 in Motivation and Support
I am a binge eater and it seems like I'm either eating healthy and exercising or binging.

It's always so discouraging when I fall off the wagon. I know other people here deal with the same problem.

How do you forgive yourself and move on?

How do you deal with the disappointment when you see those extra few pounds in the mirror?

( I usually want to dive into a vat of ice cream to drown my feelings.)

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Once you are off the wagon nothing to do but get back on. Your best bet is to try and prevent the binging to begin with. Make sure you are eating at a slight deficit without starving yourself. If you try too hard to not eat you can make the cravings worse. Try having some lower calorie higher bulk snacks available. Popcorn and baby carrots work well for me. If you do find yourself about to binge log in all calories before you eat. Seeing the damage you will be doing may help you regain control. Good luck.
  • lhtbuzz123
    lhtbuzz123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For me, it is definitely making sure that I don't have those unhealthy binge foods in the house. Even if it's food for family, instead buy in some low fat ice cream & frozen fruit etc, make a healthier sundae of it. Small healthier swaps will make it lower calorie, you'll feel better about it & find it easier to get back to healthy eating :)
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    For em, there are a few different types of binges, the worst of which see's me totally abandon the healthy lifestyle for months before finally admitting I broke myself and coming back 20lbs heavier.

I'm currently in the healthy phase, and I find the best way for me to stay on track is to focus for a few minutes before bed on the body that I want, and why I want it, and make a concious effort to think about the best ways to do it... and to feel excited for it.

Minor binges of a day or two, I chalk up to depreiving myself of something I craved too much and vow to not allow it to get that bad again.

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I don't emotionally binge but a while ago I realised that sometimes when I have loads of calorie dense yummy food- like a box of chocolates its easier for me to eat till I feel sickened and dont want anymore- than it is to eat a small amount, still want more but put the box down and walk away. I sort of suspected it but never really thought about it. I now realise that for me it's a cop out. The last time I did this I cut 100 cals off each day for a week and stepped up my exercise and was back to normal after a week and a half.

I have been tempted to over- eat the yummy stuff- recently but I've told myself that if I leave it after 1 serving then there will be more left for tomorrow. It helps a bit. It still sucks - but seeing the scale move down feels better than 12 chocolates- thats what I tell myself. (I might still eat 2 chocs though, just not 12)
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You asked, "How do you forgive yourself and move on?" so I think you've got half the battle won. I used to have a major problem with binge eating, like, the "B" word major. It took me years to realize that the solution was to be kind to myself and just put an episode of overeating behind me. Separate your self worth from the "extra" pounds you see in the mirror, so you're not tempted to either binge more to drown out the despair or starve yourself to "make up for it" or punish yourself, which will only start the cycle again.

Don't let yourself get too hungry, or deprive yourself of something your body really wants. I keep chocolate chips on hand because sometimes I really want chocolate. So, I have a small handful of chips, which is only like 100 calories and totally worth it if it keeps me from ripping into a pound of Elfudge cookies or something. The point is, if it's chocolate I want, I don't eat cookies, I eat chocolate, and I take a few and walk away. If I still feel like I need more I'll go back and get more, but that rarely happens. This only works if the only reason I feel compelled to eat chocolate is because that's what my body is craving. If there's something else going on, like I'm starving from a too-severe calorie deficit or I'm seeking to banish some strong emotion, this could backfire.

If you're trying to loose weight, do it super slowly. You have your whole life to be healthy.

Mostly, though, love yourself. Do projects that give you a sense of satisfaction. Spend time with people who love you just as you are. Don't try to trick yourself into not binge eating to cover up your feelings, address the feelings. Meditate, walk, hang out with friends, or do whatever helps you see inside yourself and take good care of you.

:blush: Sorry if I got a little preachy. You hit kind of a sensitive topic for me. Good luck!