Sick foods

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Jessyd76 wrote: »
    I'm feeling crappy. My typical go-to foods when I'm not feeling well are cheez-its, grilled cheese, and other crappy foods.

Got any easy go-to recipes for when you aren't feeling well? (Looking for easy but not canned/processed.) Oddly enough, for me, I'm craving chicken noodle soup.

Chicken noodle soup is great.

For some reason when I'm feeling sick I always want oatmeal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Acg67 wrote: »
    I'm feeling crappy. My typical go-to foods when I'm not feeling well are cheez-its, grilled cheese, and other crappy foods.

Got any easy go-to recipes for when you aren't feeling well? (Looking for easy but not canned/processed.) Oddly enough, for me, I'm craving chicken noodle soup.

cheez its and grilled cheese are far from crappy foods but can't wait to hear all the suggestions of recipes with no processed foods, which so far no one has offered and btw is a supremely ignorant thing to look for.

There are zero recipes for chicken soup which do not involve processed ingredients, nor additional processing to create the final product

Zero? Mine has chicken, onion, a leek, carrot, and misc. veg, with some salt optional

So you don't know what processing is, got it.

She probably assumes that OP isn't using "processing" literally. It bugs me too that people act like "processing" is inherently bad and not something that applies to about 99% of things, but I'm adjusting.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    wheres the popcorn?
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    This soup is so easy, like boiling water. Tortellini in chicken broth. The lemon zest and herbs are great. I have made a basket of the ingredients and brought it to a sick friend. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/02/cheese-tortellini-soup-with-gremolata.html

proxy?url=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-yMkKACubCgo%2FUwVvQu32t7I%2FAAAAAAAACoE%2Ffnm0TgjEWJQ%2Fs1600%2FCheese%2BTortellini%2BSoup%2Bwith%2BGremolata.jpg&container=blogger&gadget=a&rewriteMime=image%2F*

This looks yummy
  • WildePillar
    WildePillar Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato and kale soup with carrots, celery, corn and beans! Just throw that together with some low sodium stock and simmer away!
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ~chewing on a celery (unprocessed) stick~ scrolling through...my o my!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I would just eat the Cheez-its and grilled cheese, or whatever your body is craving. I usually want Wheat Thins when I'm sick.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I make turmeric tea with a little coconut oil...it's got that warm, nice aspect to it but it also has some properties that can help actually make you feel better.

2 tbsp turmeric powder
    1 tsp powdered ginger or 1\2 inch fresh grated ginger
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tbsp honey
    1\2 tsp dried thyme
    2 tbsp coconut oil
    4 cups boiling water

Put a coffee filter into the filter basket of a teapot. Add all ingredients except coconut oil, honey and water. Let steep for 10 minutes. Add to a blender with the remaining ingredients and blend until it becomes frothy (An immersion blender also works wonders but be careful! If you splatter the turmeric will stain.). Pour into a mug and sip.

http://www.pinkiesoinkments.com/cold-relief-tea/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Foods are sources of nutrients and fuels ... nothing more, nothing less. If you want to avoid a certain substance, say sodium, then either take the time to make it from scratch or seek a lower sodium option among the dozens of canned/boxed/packaged soups.

I'm still trying to figure out how a grilled cheese is "crappy" food ... it is cheese and bread ... a source of carbs, fats, and protein ... wow, all three macronutrients needed by the human body.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I like plain white rice, but that might be the Asian in me :)
  • Jessyd76
    Jessyd76 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Foods are sources of nutrients and fuels ... nothing more, nothing less. If you want to avoid a certain substance, say sodium, then either take the time to make it from scratch or seek a lower sodium option among the dozens of canned/boxed/packaged soups.

I'm still trying to figure out how a grilled cheese is "crappy" food ... it is cheese and bread ... a source of carbs, fats, and protein ... wow, all three macronutrients needed by the human body.

You are totally right. I shouldn't be labeling it as 'crappy'. I just automatically think comfort foods are unhealthy. Whereas in reality it's all about how you make it. Use good quality cheese/bread and don't douse it in butter and there's nothing wrong with it.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

You are totally right. I shouldn't be labeling it as 'crappy'. I just automatically think comfort foods are unhealthy. Whereas in reality it's all about how you make it. Use good quality cheese/bread and don't douse it in butter and there's nothing wrong with it.

Nothing wrong with using white bread, Kraft singles, and lots of butter either. That's how my mom made it, and that's still how I make it for my kids. When I want a grilled cheese I favor a panini with some basil oil, sourdough bread, pesto, roasted red pepper, and buffalo mozzarella cheese... But that doesn't make my grilled cheese "healthier" than the one I made my kids.

Are you equating "high cal" with unhealthy?
  • Jessyd76
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Nothing wrong with using white bread, Kraft singles, and lots of butter either. That's how my mom made it, and that's still how I make it for my kids. When I want a grilled cheese I favor a panini with some basil oil, sourdough bread, pesto, roasted red pepper, and buffalo mozzarella cheese... But that doesn't make my grilled cheese "healthier" than the one I made my kids.

Are you equating "high cal" with unhealthy?

I think I need to get out of the mentality that fat + carbs automatically = unhealthy.

I've had a ton of guilt about having bread with butter the last few days.

I'm working on switching my way of thinking about food. Comfort food in moderation is fine when I'm craving it. But in a single serving, not 5. Hopefully moving away from loads of bland chicken breasts to things I'm actually enjoying will reduce the binges and get me back on track with trying to make this a lifestyle vs a diet.

Work in progress! :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Fat and carbs are two of three macronutrients the body needs.
  • Jessyd76
    Options
    Fat and carbs are two of three macronutrients the body needs.

Doh! :) i need to remember that!

I'm coming off a training plan where my trainer wanted me eating 270g of protein a day. Obviously, I failed and am no longer working with that individual b/c I don't think that approach was right for me. But made me feel a little guilty when I had the other 2 key macro nutrients. I'm working on the mentality change.