Waist training

does waist training really get you the hourglass shape figure? Jus wonderin cuz im a apple shape and i have no waist

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2015
    Nope, it does not work. Eat in a deficit and add some exercise like lifting and you'll be golden.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    Why would you try something that squeezes and moves your organs for vanity reasons?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    Nope. Your genetics are yours and no compression garment can permanently change it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Roxana1089
    Roxana1089 Posts: 24 Member
    Jus tired of struggling to lose weight but thats scary.. It moves organs
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Nope. Your genetics are yours and no compression garment can permanently change it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This. Your genetics determine your body shape. Lose weight, start lifting and stop trying to look for easy ways out.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    You know when you lean into something - like rest your leg against a desk corner and it leaves an imprint on your skin for a while?

That is what waist training does. It's just a temporary indentation that over time can really damage your internal organs. You're better off eating right and just losing the excess fat to get a better shape.

In the meantime, if you have a particular event - let's say you're going to be wearing a skin-tight cocktail dress and you want more of an hourglass shape - just wear Spanx underneath. No damage if you just wear it for the event.
  • Please don't try this method to get a hour glass shape I have a friend that has permanent damage to her stomach muscles and she is most of the time in pain she's only 24 years old and she started wearing them before it got popular among the celebrities
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Nope, it does not work. Eat in a deficit and add some exercise like lifting and you'll be golden.

+1
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    This kind of waist 'training' is just temporary water loss. It's just like those wraps you can get. The result might last a few hours - great if you have a red carpet event, but thats it.

I wear a steel boned corset quite often on club nights- but I'm a Goth and it's standard kit. No permanant change though.

You may be apple -shaped and if you are there is nowt you can do about it (apart from liposuction- even then it's not always permanent) BUT there great bit about losing weight is that it might not be the case. My freind was an apple with a waist measurement larger than her chest- after losing 30lbs she was turning into an hourglass (waist 10mins smaller than hip measurement).. so you never know. Plus- whats wrong with an apple, a pear, a ruler?- all great shapes and equally feminine to my mind.
  • Roxana1089
    This kind of waist 'training' is just temporary water loss. It's just like those wraps you can get. The result might last a few hours - great if you have a red carpet event, but thats it.

I wear a steel boned corset quite often on club nights- but I'm a Goth and it's standard kit. No permanant change though.

You may be apple -shaped and if you are there is nowt you can do about it (apart from liposuction- even then it's not always permanent) BUT there great bit about losing weight is that it might not be the case. My freind was an apple with a waist measurement larger than her chest- after losing 30lbs she was turning into an hourglass (waist 10mins smaller than hip measurement).. so you never know. Plus- whats wrong with an apple, a pear, a ruler?- all great shapes and equally feminine to my mind.

You keepin me motivated jus by sayin ur friend was an apple shape too and now shes a hourglass. I guess i jus need to work my butt of
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    90% of the women I see at my gym are strapping these godawful things on in the bathroom before they work out. It makes me sad.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Genetics do play a role in how your body is shaped. If you normally have a larger chest and wider hips, doing exercises that target your stomach area will eventually get you the shape you're looking for. Though I'm close to my target and have gone down to the pant size I wanted, I never ended up with an hourglass figure, I'm still a pear. I have a small bust and very wide hip bones, so without augmentation, I will never have the hourglass figure. Especially since part of the weight loss meant I went down a bra size! *headdesk* Focus on your overall weight loss and find exercises that target your core. That will be the best bet to get you the shape you're looking for.

I wouldn't recommend actual waist training with a corset. That's actually the first thing most people will think of when they hear the term 'waist training'. Wearing a corset can give you the hourglass figure, but if you wear it all the time and gradually tighten it to make your waist smaller, you will do damage to your internal organs.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    I do love a good corset for costuming. Just bought a fancy one this summer and am wearing it to its first Con in about two weeks.

As for what the others have said, it's all pretty much true. Using too often or too tightly can cause internal "shifting," using a cheap, low-quality boned version can be dangerous, and reasonable, occasional use only provides temporary results.

I think it'll help me lose weight at the Con - but that's only because I haven't quite figured out how to eat in one. :P
  • dubird
    I do love a good corset for costuming. Just bought a fancy one this summer and am wearing it to its first Con in about two weeks.

As for what the others have said, it's all pretty much true. Using too often or too tightly can cause internal "shifting," using a cheap, low-quality boned version can be dangerous, and reasonable, occasional use only provides temporary results.

I think it'll help me lose weight at the Con - but that's only because I haven't quite figured out how to eat in one. :P

Yeah, I'm saving up money for one for a con for next year. I actually would wear a borrowed one for sometimes before my wedding to get used to it and found that it was helpful when my back was hurting. I wouldn't wear it long term for back support because that just makes the muscles weaker, but there were times it was helpful for that. I've considered getting a regular one to wear under my clothes for those occasions.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    yhu4duce2y8a.jpg

Hot, right?

Not! LOL
  • ManiacalLaugh
    dubird wrote: »

Yeah, I'm saving up money for one for a con for next year. I actually would wear a borrowed one for sometimes before my wedding to get used to it and found that it was helpful when my back was hurting. I wouldn't wear it long term for back support because that just makes the muscles weaker, but there were times it was helpful for that. I've considered getting a regular one to wear under my clothes for those occasions.

So it actually helps your back? I've actually gotten back spasms from wearing it while walking around, but that's probably because I'm not lacing it right (I'm thinking it's too tight).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    Roxana1089 wrote: »
    Jus tired of struggling to lose weight but thats scary.. It moves organs

Maybe start a new thread on what your particular struggles with losing weight are?

I don't find it a struggle - I use MFP to bring mindfulness to what I'm eating, reduced baked goods and added sugar, increased protein, fiber, veggies, fruit, and exercise, and am losing weight as expected.

• emily_fox
    emily_fox Posts: 62 Member
    In addition to it being dangerous, you'll look out of proportion.
    4dzgsqcfte09.jpg
  • Roxana1089
    emily_fox wrote: »
    4dzgsqcfte09.jpg

• Roxana1089
    Roxana1089 wrote: »
    4dzgsqcfte09.jpg
  • dubird

So it actually helps your back? I've actually gotten back spasms from wearing it while walking around, but that's probably because I'm not lacing it right (I'm thinking it's too tight).

It might be lacing too tight, it might be your posture while wearing it. If it's changing your posture significantly, it can cause your muscles to rebel. I would suggest wearing one for a few hours every other day for a while, and gradually build up the time you wear it until you can wear it comfortably for a day. That's what I did for my wedding, and on the day of the wedding, I was perfectly comfortable. Even now, I can wear a corset for a day for a con or something, just have to make sure to lace it comfortably. I don't try for a much smaller waist and I don't do it to fit into other clothes. All it does for me is shift the fat around about and put the girls on display. XD

But yeah, it does help my back. Though, if I wore one constantly for that, my back muscles would weaken a lot more to the point where it would hurt if I DIDN'T wear it, so I just wear it to give my back a break for a little while.
  • ManiacalLaugh

I would suggest wearing one for a few hours every other day for a while, and gradually build up the time you wear it until you can wear it comfortably for a day.

Hmm... seems like sound advice. Going to do it while I still have time. I'm not sure, at this point, how I'm going to make it 12+ hours. O_o
  • dubird

I would suggest wearing one for a few hours every other day for a while, and gradually build up the time you wear it until you can wear it comfortably for a day.

Hmm... seems like sound advice. Going to do it while I still have time. I'm not sure, at this point, how I'm going to make it 12+ hours. O_o

Then start with 2-3 hours and then take it off and do some stretches. Then, after a couple of days, add a couple more hours. You'll have to also practice sitting, I found, since I tend to slump in chairs and you can't really do that wearing a corset. XD
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    There is just not enough face palm when it comes to topics like this SMH
  • dubird
    There is just not enough face palm when it comes to topics like this SMH

Why?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    4dzgsqcfte09.jpg
    SNORT!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    This.

Body shape is part of genetic makeup. I have the narrowest hips in the world (just like mom and grandma) and am broader up top (shoulders, chest) just like dad's side of the family. However, losing weight and weight lifting have led to tremendous changes in my body.