do body wraps work?

Options
Hey Folks,

So, I have a lot of weight to lose and I really, really, wanna keep my skin as tight and firm as possible. I've seen some adverts for body wraps at local spas that are supposed to help with that. They say to go in after every ten pounds lost, and get the wrap. Any anecdotal evidence that it works? Or any science to back it up? I know wearing a compression garment after pregnancy helps the skin snap back, I wonder if this is more of the same.

If it works, I'm so down. Even if it doesn't work, it sounds like a super relaxing experience. Anyway, whaddya think?

Here's one description:

Step 1: Exfoliation
We prep the skin with an enzymatic and physical exfoliation process . This live enzyme will remove the dead, gray layer of skin exposing healthy skin, which is better suited for absorbing the Contour Cream.

Step 2: Contour Cream
To start the flow of the lymphatic system Intensive Contour Cream is used. The main ingredient is Niacin (vitamin B3), a natural flushing agent. In addition to Niacin, Cassia is used to dilate the blood vessels and give the cream its fabulous cinnamon scent. It is common for the skin to turn pink once the contour cream is applied because circulation is being stimulated and blood is flowing to the surface of the skin. It is the lymphatic flow and increased circulation that flushes toxins out of the body resulting in inch loss and soft, conditioned skin.

Step 3: Contouring Wrap
Once the cream is applied, the body is strategically wrapped in a specially formulated cellophane wrap from the top of the torso, down each leg separately and back up again. The upper arms are lightly wrapped as well. This acupressure effect pushes lymphatic fluid up towards the thoracic valve where the toxins can be deposited into the circulatory system, get filtered through the liver and kidneys, and finally excreted in the urine. The cellophane wrap also helps to contour the body in areas such as the waist and thighs. The inch loss is permanent as long as you continue a healthy lifestyle and refrain from putting toxins back into the body.

Step 4: Relax and Lose Inches
After you’ve been wrapped, you lie down and relax for about 45 minutes, letting the cream and wrap do all the work while you enjoy the warmth it creates. After the allotted time, your technician will cut you out of your wrap. The Contour Cream will continue to work for several hours so it is important to not shower for 6-8 hours after your treatment.

Replies

• AdriSaysRelax
    Options
    Anybody? Buellar? Buellar? :D
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    "......where the toxins can be deposited into the circulatory system, get filtered through the liver and kidneys, and finally excreted in the urine."
    I'm still waiting for an answer from a seller of these wraps as to what exactly these toxins are. If they are in the urine, we should be able to analyze them right?

It's a scam. Any inches lost are due to water loss.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    They are stupid and don't work. I didnt change at all and wore them overnight.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    it's an OBVIOUS scam.

you really need to be skeptical of EVERYTHING related to weight loss that somebody is trying to sell you. the whole multi-billion dollar weight loss industry is predatory. they prey of gullible and uninformed and desperate people.

don't be gullible or uninformed or desperate.

what you need to know about how to lose weight and get fit can be found here for free. you'll get a mix of good and bad advice in the public forums (since lots of gullible and uninformed and desperate people come in here passing along the bad advice they've been given elsewhere).

your best bet is to be skeptical of everyone and everything at first. pay attention to the people who make sense. pay extra attention to the people who have lost 100+lbs. devour information. read as many threads about a subject as you can. with some critical thinking skills, you'll quickly sort out the fact from the fiction.

join the Eat Train Progress group. the mods there keep a tight lid on bad information being propagated in that group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

start reading these threads listed here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

don't be afraid to ask questions. there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.
  • AdriSaysRelax
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, peoples. I appreciate you!

I figured any weight loss would be from water lost, what I'm more interested in are their effects upon skin elasticity. Even with a slow and steady weight loss, that's my main concern.
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Someone posted a topic on the forum the other day about this. Don't remember what day or the title, but do a search for body wraps. It seem to have gotten a lot of feedback.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, peoples. I appreciate you!

I figured any weight loss would be from water lost, what I'm more interested in are their effects upon skin elasticity. Even with a slow and steady weight loss, that's my main concern.

there is nothing you can really do about loose skin. if you have a lot of weight to lose, you may end up with some or you may not or it may snap back (mostly) over time. it's more about genetics and age and health of your skin than anything else. if you go slower and lift weights to retain muscle and stay healthy and you're young, you may not have much to worry about. there's no way to know until you know. the people you see on TV are doing extreme dieting in a short amount of time. i think it's a bad idea to showcase the loose skin surgery the way they do on Extreme Weight Loss, but since they are restricting the whole process to a 1 year time window for TV purposes, they must feel they need to do that. in the real world, when you get to your goal, your doctor will typically tell you to give it a couple of years to see how much it snaps back (from what i've read on the subject).
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think that you might just have to try it to see for yourself how it effects the elasticity of the skin. Many things help, and many don't, so maybe do it and then tell us what you think!
  • MyzGina
    MyzGina Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The wraps make you sweat. So I say put the sandwich wraps back in the cabinet and get up and workout and SWEAT!! Could be no different. It's also cheaper