What's an easy diet that requires little cooking?

Options

Replies

• starbean
    starbean Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has some great shortcuts, if you live near one. FROZEN foods like frozen veggies and frozen brown rice are a big help, not only because they are easy and fast but because you're not going to have food waste from all the fresh produce you can't get around to cooking. Eliminating waste, I think, is a big part of saving money with food prep.

I practically live off of breakfast tacos. I prep my shredded red cabbage, red onion, pre-portioned cheddar cheese. Eggs, hot sauce, corn tortillas. Avocados (instead of cheese) when I can get to the store.

I work 70-80 hours a week, these tricks help me.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your goals are, but protein helps keep you going, and fuel workouts.

I make boiled eggs for the week, yogurt cups, jerky, fresh and frozen fruit and veggies, deli meats (lean, but high in salt though), cottage cheese and applesauce. These are my quick snacks, breakfast and lunch.

I make a batch of cold coffee, then add milk, ice, sweetener, vanilla or cinnamon, and sometimes protein powder. I takes 1 minute in the am to put together, and my morning is fueled.

If you need fast, a microwave is your best friend, you can cook or heat most meals in it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Donutello wrote: »
    Are you guys being srs...what the heck?

What kind of food do you like which you can afford?

Many people live off of fast food and lose weight. It might be high in sodium, and the nutrition information might be underestimated by something like 10 - 20%, but at least you'd get your macros met.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    lyndahh75 wrote: »
    http://www.rawfoodlife.com/#axzz3m5uWXJpA

Raw food diet. Plants, no cooking. Seems tough for me anyway....
    Other than that....there are short cuts to things. Canned soups (downside can be high sodium), tuna salad, egg salad requires minimal prep really- get rotisserie chicken and buy a bag of salad that has dressing and croutons added already- microwave dinners such as lean cuisine, weight watchers, healthy choice. If you have a decent budget, nutrisystem, you get all meals and snacks premade. Just microwave it. I like thai kitchen soups, also green giant veggie steamers, various flavors.

He's a college student, he can't afford all that. He already said he's low on money.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    vegangela_ wrote: »
    Raw vegan, no cooking required whatsoever. :p

When he says "little cooking," he's not just referring to heat but to prep time. Vegan is the most prep-intensive WOE I know.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sandwiches and salads
    I like to take frozen greens, precooked chicken and mix with a can of Progresso Light soups.
    Instant rice, canned beans and a bag of frozen vegetables makes a filling and nutritious meal.
    Rotisserie chickens from the supermarket are a great timesaver and good for several meals
    Eggs require only a few minutes to cook, add some fresh spinach and cheese for a full meal.
    Frozen whole grain waffles with pb
    If you have a slow cooker you can cook a variety of foods with little prep time.
    One of those small George Foreman grills can cook up a small chop, steak or fish filet in just few minutes. It's also good for many veggies or grilled sandwiches.

ETA: Also plain greek yogurt, Kellogg's Bran Buds cereal and some berries is quite filling and delicious
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Give me your favorite recipe that takes little to no time to prepare. I don't care if it's a small snack or whatever I just want more variety in my bland diet.

What do you eat now?

Raw vegetables and hummus. Hummus is super easy to make but you can also buy it.
    Fruit and yogurt, peanut butter or cheese.
    Sandwiches or wraps.
    Hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs
    Cereal, oatmeal, eggs... lots of breakfast foods are fast.
    Pizza using a tortilla, pita bread, naan, bagel, french bread, large mushroom for the crust. Microwave or bake until the cheese is melted.
    Bean and cheese burritos. Use canned fat free refried beans. Microwave a couple of minutes if you want it hot.
    Cook a big pot of soup or something once a week and eat leftovers.
    Wasabi peas.
    Frozen foods or restaurant food.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/nocookrecipes/
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @Donutello do you have access to a full kitchen or are you in a dorm with limited facilities?
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to buy pre-cooked grilled chicken breast strips, either refrigerated or frozen (Costco or Walmart are great for these) and toss it into anything pretty quick. In a pinch for lunch I will throw some frozen Green Giant mixed italian seasoned veggies and some precooked chicken strips into container that can be popped in the microwave at work. You could cook 1 or 2 cups of rice or quinoa once a week and use it with the frozen veggies and chicken strips for more carbs.

I also like the pre-cooked steak strips or turkey burgers you can get a walmart. These can be warmed up in a pan or in the mircrowave. Also if you have an oven there are some ok thin crust frozen pizza's you can buy, or even a portion of frozen fries or potato wedges with some kind of vegetable and protein.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Give me your favorite recipe that takes little to no time to prepare. I don't care if it's a small snack or whatever I just want more variety in my bland diet.

What cooking and refrigeration facilities do you have available? When I was a student I lived in the dorm most of the time and didn't have my own kitchen, so I don't know what to imagine -- is the issue money, not knowing how to cook, not having a stove, simply time, what?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Well, my usual breakfast is a slice of toast with butter—two if I'm hungry—and a couple cups of coffee. Lunch is a sandwich that takes a couple minutes to put together, or hummus with raw vegetables and pita. The veggies take a minute or two to peel or cut up, but you can get prepared ones at the supermarket. When I'm working from home I sometimes have a frozen pizza for lunch. I like cooking, so my dinners are more elaborate, but there are some things that are easy and require little cooking: scrambled eggs, ham (cut a thick slice and eat it cold or sauté it for a minute or two to heat it up), baked potato (scrub, put in the oven, wait until done, slice in half, garnish, eat), pasta with store-bought sauce.

For more ideas, take a look at Mark Bittman's list of 101 simple meals that can be prepared in 10 minutes or less.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    caveman diet?
  • alt5057
    alt5057 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Lay out a piece of foil, add a chicken breast (salt and peppered), pineapple chuncks, chopped bell pepper, a little bit of pineapple juice, chicken broth or water (whatever you have on hand), 1 Tbsp of bbq sauce. Fold foil into a packet and grill for 15ish minutes until chicken is cooked through (or bake in an oven, don't know how long it would take). Serve over brown rice (it's delicious when it soaks up the pineapple/bbq sauce juices). You can do this with any combo of veggies...zucchini and tomato is another good one (no bbq sauce added to that).
  • Lala478910
    Lala478910 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm super lazy and I like to cook several meals a week on Sunday and pop them in the freezer. I just pull them out when I want them.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Lala478910 wrote: »
    I'm super lazy and I like to cook several meals a week on Sunday and pop them in the freezer. I just pull them out when I want them.

I don't think that's lazy. I think it's eminently practical when one works full time outside the house or otherwise has a busy schedule.

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    turkey meat balls, beans, pre cut veg(I get alot of these at reduced prices and throw in freezer or roast a cookie sheet full and then freeze, soba noodles cook in 3 minutes and are 180 cal of healthy buckwheat-- not ramen. Fruit, yogurt or Kefir, barley pearled ,canned or frozen vegatables. Just put good food in your pantry, fridge and freezer and nuke or roast some thing. Also skinless boneless thighs are on sale often, bake a whole pack in foil then wrap or throw a couple in the freidge and the rest ion freezer.Micro potatos and sweet potatoes are cheap and easy
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options

^^^THIS IS AS EASY AS IT GETS^^^. You'll also feel awesome!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

^^^THIS IS AS EASY AS IT GETS^^^. You'll also feel awesome!!

Raw vegans tend to spend a lot of time prepping. It also requires frequent shopping (for fresh produce). Although things like blenders and dehydrators aren't required, many recipes call for them.

When you say it's as easy as it gets, is there a particular set of recipes you're referring to?