To Eat or not Eat extra calories

Options
Hi all! I am fairly new here...using MFP for about a month (maybe a little longer). I have been a little confused about the calories burned during exercise. Do I eat them? If I don't it seems that my weight loss is slower but I was told not to...I think the person was incorrect. When I do eat the extra calories it SEEMS that I do lose weight. What are your thoughts on this? I am fairly new to this health/weight loss issue so I am kinda confused. :ohwell: Any input is very welcome :happy:

Replies

• MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back and when I log my exercise I just change it to 1 calorie burned no matter what I did. I also eat 1800 calories a day regardless of workout/rest. Try it a few different ways and your body will tell you what it needs/wants.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    the way MFP is designed, you're supposed to eat them so that you don't end up in too great a calorie deficit. If you have noticed that you lose better when you eat them, by all means do so!
  • kgraves3
    kgraves3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Please read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

It was under the "Newbies Read Me" topic in General Diet and Weight Loss Help. Yours is a very common question. Basically, the goal MFP gives you is a NET calorie goal. Your necessary calorie deficit is already built into the calorie goal it gives you, so YES you really should eat them back. For a better explanation, read that page I linked. A lot of new people ask that question, so someone decided to give a detailed answer for everyone to read when they start.
  • danishadows
    danishadows Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat my extra calories I guess it all depends on your goal im eating 2200 cals and im only 126 lbs I lost 35 im trying to gain more muscle I feel too skinny it depends on oyur goal I found the more I ate the more I lost because it speeds up your matoblesium in my case ...just my opinion :smile:
  • bumblebee430
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your help...I really felt like I should eat them but I wasn't 100% :flowerforyou:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I don't eat much of them back if any and I lose. If I eat them all back I don't lose.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i DO NOT eat my exercise calories back
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    When I had my diary set to lightly active I ate them. When I had it at moderate I ate half of them. Now that I wear a BodyMedia Fit band I see I was under eating. Now I eat them all plus some more.

If I had it to do all over again I'd have logged a week's worth of eating and cut from that # instead of MFPs.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Actually, reading your profile, it looks like in a roundabout way you DO eat at least some of them back, on your cheat Saturdays. Every 2 weeks you state that you go over your calorie goal of 1200 by about 3300 calories. You say that you work out 4-5 days a week, so that is a total of 8-10 days over those 2 weeks.

3300 divided by 8 workouts = 412 calories
    3300 divided by 10 workouts = 330 calories

Of course I don't know what your actual workouts are, so I have no idea what your real burns are. But, those seem to be about right for moderate intensity exercise for 45-60 minutes per workout.

So yes, you eat at least some of your exercise calories back, but just the entire 2 weeks worth all at one time.

To OP: I also eat mine back, but I eat them spread out instead of in one chunk like that. Using the MFP database, I eat back roughly 75% of what it says (the MFP estimates can be a bit high). Another way to figure out your calories is to find out your TDEE, which includes your workouts, and minus about 20% from that number. That will give you your daily goal, with the exercise calories already figured in. The poster who eats around 1800 a day and is putting her burns in as 1 calorie is probably using this method.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back, I worked hard to get them off why put them back!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

Actually, reading your profile, it looks like in a roundabout way you DO eat at least some of them back, on your cheat Saturdays. Every 2 weeks you state that you go over your calorie goal of 1200 by about 3300 calories. You say that you work out 4-5 days a week, so that is a total of 8-10 days over those 2 weeks.

Of course I don't know what your actual workouts are, so I have no idea what your real burns are. But, those seem to be about right for moderate intensity exercise for 45-60 minutes per workout.

So yes, you eat at least some of your exercise calories back, but just the entire 2 weeks worth all at one time.

To OP: I also eat mine back, but I eat them spread out instead of in one chunk like that. Using the MFP database, I eat back roughly 75% of what it says (the MFP estimates can be a bit high). Another way to figure out your calories is to find out your TDEE, which includes your workouts, and minus about 20% from that number. That will give you your daily goal, with the exercise calories already figured in. The poster who eats around 1800 a day and is putting her burns in as 1 calorie is probably using this method.

yeah, you could look at it like that, except for exercise calories are usually expended in weight loss sooner than once every 2 weeks, so, im more than likely eating back half of my work outs, if that. i run a few miles a day, 5 days a week.
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    I don't eat mine back, I find if I do, I don't lose, if I want to maintain then I will start eating them.
  • Otterluv
    Options

yeah, you could look at it like that, except for exercise calories are usually expended in weight loss sooner than once every 2 weeks, so, im more than likely eating back half of my work outs, if that.

It's not so linear. It's not like you exercise for 60 minutes, burn 500 calories, and BOOM, you've lost 1/7 of a pound. Weight loss is more about averages over the longer term.

My point was that you said that you eat 1200 calories a day, and don't eat back any of your exercise calories, when in fact you do eat at least some of them back (3300 over 2 weeks is not a small number) and it's misleading to claim otherwise, especially for newbies just figuring it out. I know that it wasn't intentional, and I'm sure that you consider the cheat day separate from your exercise cals, but it does factor in.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

yeah, you could look at it like that, except for exercise calories are usually expended in weight loss sooner than once every 2 weeks, so, im more than likely eating back half of my work outs, if that.

It's not so linear. It's not like you exercise for 60 minutes, burn 500 calories, and BOOM, you've lost 1/7 of a pound. Weight loss is more about averages over the longer term.

My point was that you said that you eat 1200 calories a day, and don't eat back any of your exercise calories, when in fact you do eat at least some of them back (3300 over 2 weeks is not a small number) and it's misleading to claim otherwise, especially for newbies just figuring it out. I know that it wasn't intentional, and I'm sure that you consider the cheat day separate from your exercise cals, but it does factor in.

i know its not linear, im saying, i dont believe that after 2 weeks, i still have all those extra calories just sitting around to be used, as im sure they have been expended through other means such as fat loss.
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine back. When I eat more I don't lose or I gain. I think what MFP says for calories burned is very high.
  • Otterluv
    Options

i know its not linear, im saying, i dont believe that after 2 weeks, i still have all those extra calories just sitting around to be used, as im sure they have been expended through other means such as fat loss.

Actually, I just read your edit.

According to a calorie burned calc, a woman weighing 150 lbs (I probably guessed high) running for 3 miles at a pace of 10 min. mile would burn 340. Do that 10 times over 2 weeks and it equals out to 3400 calories. That's pretty darned close to your overage of 3300. So yes, you are eating back your exercise calories.
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    how about eating them if you're hungry?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

According to a calorie burned calc, a woman weighing 150 lbs (I probably guessed high) running for 3 miles at a pace of 10 min. mile would burn 340. Do that 10 times over 2 weeks and it equals out to 3400 calories. That's pretty darned close to your overage of 3300. So yes, you are eating back your exercise calories.

no, im not eating back my exercise calories. im having 2 days a month where i binge like a crazy person. most people trying to diet, binge, they just dont plan it. mine are planned. i dont consider that eating back my exercise calories.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options

and im not 150, im 167, and my burn averages about 500-600 per day depending on mph and incline on the tread.
  • Otterluv
    Options

and im not 150, im 167, and my burn averages about 500-600 per day depending on mph and incline on the tread.

Whatever you consider it, binge or no, you are eating those calories. They aren't going into a separate "binge" bank. They become part of your average intake.

Treadmills are notorious for giving high numbers, so it's generally recommended to eat 50 - 75% of what they say (unless you are using another method to figure out you burn? but those burn numbers seem pretty high for a few mile run), which would come pretty close to my number.