Pre Workout is it healthy? Or safe?

Options
I've recently started taking pre workout and I must say it helps me in the gym. I've heard different things of it being bad for you. What do you guys think?

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It's definitely bad for you. Black coffee would be a safer alternative. That being admitted, I love my preworkout crack!!!! I've had really negative effects from overuse of energy drinks, but none (yet that I can tell) from regularly taking preworkout. They're all different though.
  • cassandrapalencia
    Options
    I know what you mean. Black coffee I'm going to try that. I've taken one before don't remember the name but I seriously couldn't feel my hand lol
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    Lol, it's not bad for you. But caffeine pills or coffee are both cheaper.

What is the brand? Can you link it for us?
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I use a pre workout every now and then on days where I "need" to go to the gym but cant be bothered. Maybe twice a month. I used it today actually. I don't drink caffeine and rarely energy drinks so I have a very low tolerance. I've tried a few different brands, I get the tingles etc, but I do not really find that it aids my performance, pump or focus. I just tend to sweat much more, probably stay in the gym a bit longer and crash a bit later on in the day (feeling a bit tired, jittery and anxious almost depressed?). I don't think they really agree with me. I definatley would not take them for anything cardio related. I really wished they did work for me because I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    They're not bad for you in moderation... i.e. don't take 10 scoops at once unless you want to jump higher than 30 meters. As long as you abide by the consumption rules on the tub, you should be fine.

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    What is your pre- workout? some are junk - some are good. If you are lifting you should have some protein & carbs before. I like coffee too
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    If you are lifting you should have some protein & carbs before.

Myth.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    What is your pre- workout? some are junk - some are good. If you are lifting you should have some protein & carbs before. I like coffee too

I might be wrong, but I think she was referring to Pre Workout supplements if the original poster could clarify?
  • beastier
    beastier Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    They're great but after a few months you stop feeling them. Can't be good for you to take regularly in the long term

Had some great sessions & buzzes from them though
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    beastier wrote: »
    They're great but after a few months you stop feeling them. Can't be good for you to take regularly in the long term

Had some great sessions & buzzes from them though

Your body builds up a caffeine tolerance with the use of PWO w/ stims, only way to feel the effects of the PWO is to have about 2 weeks, sometimes 3, without any caffeine.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    "Pre-workout" is an ambiguous term, but it sounds like many of you are using it synonymously with stimulants.
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I added a preworkout because I cut how much coffee I was drinking per day -- I used to put 4 teaspoons of sugar in each, times 10 cups a day...yeah too much sugar. So I added it on my workout days and noticed a huge difference in being able to have a nice, sustained energy level during my workouts. No major heart rate spikes, just basic energy.

I know someone asked for names, but I'm not sure if that's allowed in the rules. There are a wide variety of preworkouts out there and the key is just finding one that works for you. My husband's mix, for example, made me completely sick. Mine makes me feel like I could punch through a wall. But agree that your body will build a tolerance, so just like with any supplementation, it's good to cycle on and off of it/not take them daily.
  • chrysalis2015
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    "Pre-workout" is an ambiguous term, but it sounds like many of you are using it synonymously with stimulants.

There are powders/drinks out there labeled "pre-workout" so not sure with this...and yes they have beta-alanine, caffeine, etc in them so the stimulants are in there. I don't think folks are talking about the stimulant "fat burners" you'd take before meals, for example. :smile:
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I try to do my stuff on normal food based on my normal routine. Anything out of the ordinary for me is just that... unless I want to rely on a supplement to help me with my bike ride/work day/whatever, I figure there is no sense in training using it.

Sometimes I feel like my coffee is the only thing that gets my heart beating in the morning. But I don't drink more if I'm going riding.
  • kwtilbury
    Options

There are powders/drinks out there labeled "pre-workout" so not sure with this...and yes they have beta-alanine, caffeine, etc in them so the stimulants are in there. I don't think folks are talking about the stimulant "fat burners" you'd take before meals, for example. :smile:

Beta-alanine isn't a stimulant. Not all pre-workouts contain stimulants. My current mix includes beta-alanine, creatine, citrulline malate and acytel L-carnitine, none of which are stimulants.
  • chrysalis2015
    Options

Beta-alanine isn't a stimulant. Not all pre-workouts contain stimulants. My current mix includes beta-alanine, creatine, citrulline malate and acytel L-carnitine, none of which are stimulants.

Thank you for clearing that up :smile: like I've said I'm relatively new...maybe it just so happened the ones I was looking at before picking my preworkout had the caffeine because I'd told the rep I wanted to cut my coffee drastically. So I thought they were all like that :blush:
  • kwtilbury
    edited September 2015
    Options

Thank you for clearing that up :smile: like I've said I'm relatively new...maybe it just so happened the ones I was looking at before picking my preworkout had the caffeine because I'd told the rep I wanted to cut my coffee drastically. So I thought they were all like that :blush:

No worries. Beta-alanine promotes lactic acid buffering*, which means your muscles can work longer without getting fatigued. It does give you the tinglies, however, which feels like a stimulant :wink:

* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I like: thermovex and skinny stix. These are both primarily marketed as weight loss supplements, but they are primarily stimulants, and I use them as preworkouts for cardio: boxing, running, etc. They do the trick for sure to increase endurance and ramp up intensity.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    RobynLB83 wrote: »
    I like: thermovex and skinny stix. These are both primarily marketed as weight loss supplements, but they are primarily stimulants, and I use them as preworkouts for cardio: boxing, running, etc. They do the trick for sure to increase endurance and ramp up intensity.

Be careful with taking pre workout or high doses of stimulants when doing cardio. Those things already ramp your heat rate up before you even start.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    i used to take NOS powder before working-out (with weights) and it helped alot. took JACK3D years ago, but heard it was very dangerous for the heart, so i stopped.