Help!! Just had a baby.

Options
Hello,

I just had a baby 2 months ago and I am breast feeding too. I am currently 5.4" and 186. I am 2 lbs from what I started out before the baby. I would really like to get down to 155 witch is what I normally weigh until i put on weight. We lost our first baby and i got really sad and ate and that's why I am at the weight I am at now. How many calories should I be eating? I have been running 3x a week but would like suggestions please.

Replies

• Artemiris
    Artemiris Posts: 189 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hi, congratulations!

Consider that breast feeding consumes calories, so be careful not to eat too little. You could start by setting MFP for the minimum weight loss available and, for now, get used to log all your calories.
    Don't eat less than 1500/1800 calories. This is, of course, just my opinion, wait to hear what others have to say and, if you are in doubt, consult your doctor.
  • gerbradaisy44
    gerbradaisy44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I going to the doctor on 9/24 and I am going to ask him how many calories he suggest and see if my Insurence covers a nutritionist. I am really sad because this is the heaviest I have ever been. I have never been small but always at 155 which looks good on my large frame.would you mind if I added you so we could motivate each other?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    For now I'd focus on getting proper nutrition: protein, fruits & veggies, whole grains, healthy fats. And plenty of fluids. This will help with your milk supply. Build activity in, running is fine if you feel up to it & enjoy it. Don't overeat, but also realize your hormones may still be out of whack and that can lead to water retention and make it hard to judge 'weight loss'. So focus on being happy & healthy, enjoy your little one, and even start logging/tracking your calories. You'd probably not want to go below 1800-2000 right now. Going too low could jeopardize your milk.
    Hello,

I just had a baby 2 months ago and I am breast feeding too. I am currently 5.4" and 186. I am 2 lbs from what I started out before the baby. I would really like to get down to 155 witch is what I normally weigh until i put on weight. We lost our first baby and i got really sad and ate and that's why I am at the weight I am at now. How many calories should I be eating? I have been running 3x a week but would like suggestions please.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I would discuss this with your doctor, as they are more familiar with your individual situation.
  • gerbradaisy44
    gerbradaisy44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    1800 to 2000. Too much exercis3 can make milk taste sour so something to be aware of. It can be hard to lose while bf ing so you know but not impossible. Just take into account your bfing calories. I am 5 4 as well. My baby is now 18 mo. I bf in beginning but my supply I could not keep up with his demand! So unfortunately I had to stop:( but I also lost a baby before this baby so I understand how it is. ((((Hugs)))) and congrats. (On baby)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I tried being on a calorie deficit when I was nursing and it hurt my milk supply. Talk to you doctor but you will probably lose more weight AFTER you finish nursing.
  • rosej31
    rosej31 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I agree, I would discuss this with your doctor they are familiar with your situation. Also you can work with a nutrition so you can get a more understand about foods
  • mgoddard1527
    mgoddard1527 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You just had a baby 2 months ago. I know we all see celebrities having babies and are back to their pre-baby bodies in two weeks but that's not the reality for most. Make sure to take time to let your body recover from all it has gone through the last year.....you were after all, growing a human. Don't stress right now about the scale. Keep up the exercise (good for the body and the mind). Become more aware of what you are putting in your body.....start with small changes. Try decreasing portion size and look at nutritional content. Start with baby steps (pun intended).....as your body recovers, increase activity and work more on the deficit needed. The weight will come off in time. But be kind to yourself through the process. Your body has done an amazing thing. Be kind to it!
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose weight when breastfeeding without it affecting your milk supply. I'm nursing my almost 9 month old and have lost 66 pounds. I just set MFP to lose 1 pound per week. Then I ate an extra 500 calories a day to account for breastfeeding. If it seemed like my milk supply was slowing down, I would eat more. Super important to get enough water, and to keep your protein levels up. I was struggling with low iron and had to increase my protein levels and that made a big difference for me. When my baby was little like yours, I was eating around 2000 calories a day and still losing steadily.
  • seomra
    seomra Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Best of luck, mind yourself in these early weeks and months. My little one is coming up to5 months, I started when he was 9 weeks and have lost consistently without affecting my supply. Drink lots and lots of water, eat lots of protein, fruit and vegetables, porridge every morning has kept feeling satisfied, homemade vegetable soups. I eat about 1700 a day. I had hoped to be back running at this stage but 4 children under 6, a husband who works long hours and a broken treadmill means housework is my only real workouts! Sorry to hear about your loss
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Set MFP to your maintenance. As if you were not trying to lose. Eat there. Breastfeeding will create your calorie deficit. If you exercise, try to eat these calories, or at least half of them. Try it for a few weeks and see how it goes. If you are losing too fast, add 200 or so calories, if you are not losing, lower your calories.