What's your action plan for the Winter months?

Options
123457»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    hi135 wrote: »
    I've heard from a lot of people in my circle talking about how they fell off the diet and exercise wagon over the summer due to vacations, BBQ's, parties, beach days and general summer-time laziness. From my perspective it's much easier to maintain and/or reach new goals in the summer... lean grilled meats, an abundance of fresh summer fruits and veggies, more outdoor activities, longer/warmer days. For me, heading into the Winter is a challenge. Shorter and colder days which means many activities are restricted to an inside space, it gets darker earlier which makes me feel like hibernating! lol! And of course the warm comfort foods and holidays.

Which season is easier/harder for you and why?

If you feel the Winter-time blues and struggle through the colder months, do you have a strategic plan for staying on the wagon? If so, what's your plan?

Summer is harder
    SuggaD wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My plan is to bulk during over the winter because holidays and I don't like being out in cold weather.

What does "cold" mean to a Texan?

Yeah I really can't take that seriously at all.

Texas winters aren't nearly as mild as they used to be. Last winter was really cold with plenty of freezing temperature days.

It was probably cold compared to what you're used to. But according to this,
    "Texas and Oklahoma averaged between 2 to 4 degrees F (1.11 to 2.22 degrees C) below normal" in January 2014.

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

200387147-001-new-york-city-people-standing-at-bus-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=qC44tbli%2B9ZoSy0xlxlWCVktaN53%2FCtnPrkgtOCOt%2B4nXu6ocKaP4K2thGNCHdyUdG9oK6GSb0psMqnrk6tZgg%3D%3D
    Those people are COLD

snow-storm-toronto.jpg?w=652&h=489

winter-storm-blizzard-verticle-car.jpg

http://globalnews.ca/news/1039255/homeless-man-found-frozen/

That's exactly how my winters look like. Lol it's so ugly...But to be honest I'm getting sick of summer, I'm over it. I need that cold fresh air now.

Yeah, I remember that. In a few years, you are probably going to disagree with your past self and join the hate winter train, which I am crossing my fingers will one day take me to California. Or any of these places - http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/top-10-us-states-with-best-weather.php . (ahem, it seems Texas is third on this list)
    I'm not sure whether you understand that the Rio Grande Valley -- which is relatively South Florida-like -- and the Gulf coast -- where it does stay relatively warm -- are 13 hours of driving and 900, yes, 900 miles south of Dalhart, Texas. Apparently not. El Paso is closer to San Diego than to Houston. It's just patently silly to talk about winter weather in Texas as being some homogenous thing. It's not.

The thing is, though, not all 27 million of us live in Brownsville. And anyone who tells you that the winter weather in the Texas panhandle is nice is brain damaged.

Ok, it gets kind of cold in some parts of Texas sometimes.

Wikipedia: The worst cold snap to occur statewide occurred during the last half of December in 1983. Four stations recorded their longest continuous readings at or below 32 °F (0 °C) on record. At Austin, the temperature remained at or below freezing for 139 hours. At Abilene, the period at or below freezing totaled 202 hours. Lubbock saw temperatures at or below freezing for 207 hours. The Dallas-Fort Worth airport measured temperatures at or below freezing for a total of 296 consecutive hours. Snow which fell on December 14 and December 15 across northern Texas stayed on the ground until New Year's Day of 1984.[12]

^^ if that's your worst, I'm still not crying for yall.
    I didn't ask you to cry for us. I said I don't like being out in the cold. See the difference?

And if constant hours below freezing is your criteria for whether it's too cold comfortably to exercise outside, what we're talking about ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport.

If you think 1 Celsius with a 25 mph wind from the north is good running weather, regardless of however much colder it might be somewhere else in the world at that particular moment, then good for you. I don't.

I have no idea why we're still talking about this - it's too cold for you to run, you said so, no one challenged that. I (and I guess some other people, not just me?) just thought it was funny to hear a Texan complain about cold. Because I grew up with winters averaging -20 C (-4F) to -40 C (-40F). Like for months at a time. At least a few times a year, most years, it would go down to -50 C (-58F). So, completely agree, it's definitely not in the same ballpark. If you say your winters are cold for you, I hear you, feeling cold sucks, but I'm also thinking, you could probably put on a sweater or a little jacket and be ok.

I'm trying to figure out who would be comfortable in the freezing temps in a sweater, but OK.

Or a little jacket

Really though, I get that not everyone wants to run in cold weather (I don't run at all so that's me right out), but lots of people do run or bike in 1 degree C up here.

I never said that I don't want to run in it, though. I said I actually prefer it to our intense summers but ever since then people have been telling me it doesn't get cold here. I fail to see how the fact that it's colder somewhere else makes it not cold here. But there's no point in arguing it, I guess.

It's cold for you, no argument about that. It just sounds a little silly from my perspective. It'd probably be like me bitching that it's too warm at 30 degrees (86 F). Which I might have done in the past, but don't anymore, A because it stopped bothering me as much (that is probably the biggest reason), and B because the last two winters kicked my butt so badly that I'm grateful for any day it's not a frozen hell, even when I'm suffocating in smog and can't sleep from the humidity. I swear I have some form of polar vortex-related PTSD)
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I've heard from a lot of people in my circle talking about how they fell off the diet and exercise wagon over the summer due to vacations, BBQ's, parties, beach days and general summer-time laziness. From my perspective it's much easier to maintain and/or reach new goals in the summer... lean grilled meats, an abundance of fresh summer fruits and veggies, more outdoor activities, longer/warmer days. For me, heading into the Winter is a challenge. Shorter and colder days which means many activities are restricted to an inside space, it gets darker earlier which makes me feel like hibernating! lol! And of course the warm comfort foods and holidays.

If you feel the Winter-time blues and struggle through the colder months, do you have a strategic plan for staying on the wagon? If so, what's your plan?

Summer is harder
    My plan is to bulk during over the winter because holidays and I don't like being out in cold weather.

Texas winters aren't nearly as mild as they used to be. Last winter was really cold with plenty of freezing temperature days.

"Texas and Oklahoma averaged between 2 to 4 degrees F (1.11 to 2.22 degrees C) below normal" in January 2014.

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

200387147-001-new-york-city-people-standing-at-bus-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=qC44tbli%2B9ZoSy0xlxlWCVktaN53%2FCtnPrkgtOCOt%2B4nXu6ocKaP4K2thGNCHdyUdG9oK6GSb0psMqnrk6tZgg%3D%3D
    Those people are COLD

That's exactly how my winters look like. Lol it's so ugly...But to be honest I'm getting sick of summer, I'm over it. I need that cold fresh air now.

Yeah, I remember that. In a few years, you are probably going to disagree with your past self and join the hate winter train, which I am crossing my fingers will one day take me to California. Or any of these places - http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/top-10-us-states-with-best-weather.php . (ahem, it seems Texas is third on this list)
    I'm not sure whether you understand that the Rio Grande Valley -- which is relatively South Florida-like -- and the Gulf coast -- where it does stay relatively warm -- are 13 hours of driving and 900, yes, 900 miles south of Dalhart, Texas. Apparently not. El Paso is closer to San Diego than to Houston. It's just patently silly to talk about winter weather in Texas as being some homogenous thing. It's not.

The thing is, though, not all 27 million of us live in Brownsville. And anyone who tells you that the winter weather in the Texas panhandle is nice is brain damaged.

Wikipedia: The worst cold snap to occur statewide occurred during the last half of December in 1983. Four stations recorded their longest continuous readings at or below 32 °F (0 °C) on record. At Austin, the temperature remained at or below freezing for 139 hours. At Abilene, the period at or below freezing totaled 202 hours. Lubbock saw temperatures at or below freezing for 207 hours. The Dallas-Fort Worth airport measured temperatures at or below freezing for a total of 296 consecutive hours. Snow which fell on December 14 and December 15 across northern Texas stayed on the ground until New Year's Day of 1984.[12]

I didn't ask you to cry for us. I said I don't like being out in the cold. See the difference?

And if constant hours below freezing is your criteria for whether it's too cold comfortably to exercise outside, what we're talking about ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same sport.

If you think 1 Celsius with a 25 mph wind from the north is good running weather, regardless of however much colder it might be somewhere else in the world at that particular moment, then good for you. I don't.

I have no idea why we're still talking about this - it's too cold for you to run, you said so, no one challenged that. I (and I guess some other people, not just me?) just thought it was funny to hear a Texan complain about cold. Because I grew up with winters averaging -20 C (-4F) to -40 C (-40F). Like for months at a time. At least a few times a year, most years, it would go down to -50 C (-58F). So, completely agree, it's definitely not in the same ballpark. If you say your winters are cold for you, I hear you, feeling cold sucks, but I'm also thinking, you could probably put on a sweater or a little jacket and be ok.

I understand Deguello, because i have a similar problem. I grew up in a town where the temperature rarely goes below 10 C. Therefore, that is also the limit of my "comfort zone". Nowadays, that I live half of my time in a much colder country, and I see those runners working out also at -20 C, I perfectly understand that I could do the same, but I still haven't had the courage :smile: Who knows, maybe this year...

My fear of running outside in the winter isn't the cold, but rather the ice. The risk of injury just goes up a 100 fold in my mind

THose Canada pics really cracked me up :laugh:

Lol - I'm glad our pain is good for something :)

Yeah, the ice is a definite risk. When I did run (on paths the ice was taken care of), I just went really slowly. Yaktrax are supposed to help a bit, I never tried them https://www.yaktrax.com/#

Nike and other companies also make pretty good technical running gear that helps if it's not too bad outside. I think you have to know how to do it. But of course, no one's obligated to try, I am not denying for a second that feeling cold (no matter the temperature) sucks the big one!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

I'm trying to figure out who would be comfortable in the freezing temps in a sweater, but OK.

Or a little jacket

Really though, I get that not everyone wants to run in cold weather (I don't run at all so that's me right out), but lots of people do run or bike in 1 degree C up here.

I never said that I don't want to run in it, though. I said I actually prefer it to our intense summers but ever since then people have been telling me it doesn't get cold here. I fail to see how the fact that it's colder somewhere else makes it not cold here. But there's no point in arguing it, I guess.

It's cold for you, no argument about that. It just sounds a little silly from my perspective. It'd probably be like me bitching that it's too warm at 30 degrees (86 F). Which I might have done in the past, but don't anymore, A because it stopped bothering me as much (that is probably the biggest reason), and B because the last two winters kicked my butt so badly that I'm grateful for any day it's not a frozen hell, even when I'm suffocating in smog and can't sleep from the humidity. I swear I have some form of polar vortex-related PTSD)

It sounds silly to call it cold? I didn't "*kitten*," I didn't say I wouldn't run in it, in fact I said the opposite. So to be clear, you think it's silly for me to say it's cold outside when it's cold?
  • tomatoey
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

It sounds silly to call it cold? I didn't "*kitten*," I didn't say I wouldn't run in it, in fact I said the opposite. So to be clear, you think it's silly for me to say it's cold outside when it's cold?

It's just all relative. I accept that you are cold in the winter.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

I run down to about 15 degrees F.

But my context is dependent on where I live. I think 100 degrees F is super hot, whereas others are much more used to that.

Kalikel posted something about not walking when it was below (I think) 50 which I though was odd because I HAVE to walk and it's below 50 much of the year here, but I didn't feel compelled to make a big thing about it in that I know the weather is different in different places and people have different tolerances.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

During the seven years I lived in S Florida, I *kitten* that it was too hot from May - September ;)
  • tomatoey
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

During the seven years I lived in S Florida, I *kitten* that it was too hot from May - September ;)

I'm sure I would have done the same, lol :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

I was born in South Florida and have *kitten* about cold weather ever since. My parents tell a story of taking me, about age 3, to my grandparents in central Washington and thinking I'd love the snow (first white Christmas). They took me out in it, I started crying. I always joke that I still have the same reaction.

As an adult I've lived in MA, MI, and IL, and as a teen I lived in AK, and yet I've always hated cold weather and winter.

My rule (applicable to me only, although I try to make my sister follow) is that you can only *kitten* about one kind of weather. I've chosen cold.

But I totally get that standards are different elsewhere and our hot (Chicago) isn't anything compared to some places.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

But my context is dependent on where I live. I think 100 degrees F is super hot, whereas others are much more used to that.

Kalikel posted something about not walking when it was below (I think) 50 which I though was odd because I HAVE to walk and it's below 50 much of the year here, but I didn't feel compelled to make a big thing about it in that I know the weather is different in different places and people have different tolerances.

That's plus 10 Celsius ? I think it's better for me to bite my tongue now lol. Yeah people do have different sensitivities. It does help to have the right clothing etc.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

That's plus 10 Celsius ? I think it's better for me to bite my tongue now lol. Yeah people do have different sensitivities. It does help to have the right clothing etc.

You mean 15 F? It's about -9 C. I've run at lower temps, but I generally think it's not great to, at least for me.

I pretty much cop to being a weather wimp, though, which I blame on the babyhood in South Florida.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

You mean 15 F? It's about -9 C. I've run at lower temps, but I generally think it's not great to.

Sorry, no I meant 50 F. (That is T-shirt weather for some here lol. Well not for most, and not really, some people just get excited when it starts to get kind of warm in the spring. Usually boys and men up to age 25 or so)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Yeah, same here. That's why the comment struck me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

You mean 15 F? It's about -9 C. I've run at lower temps, but I generally think it's not great to.

Sorry, no I meant 50 F. (That is T-shirt weather for some here lol. Well not for most, and not really, some people just get excited when it starts to get kind of warm in the spring. Usually boys and men up to age 25 or so)

Oh, sure, I'm gardening in a t-shirt at 50 degrees F on sunny days in April.

• vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My plan is the same all year round since I exercise indoors. I lift and do cardio on my elliptical. So, if you want some ideas for inside activities, then maybe look into lifting, if you arent already, which shouldnt really be too expensive to get started with, or an exercise video, body weight exercise routine, join a gym... or suck it up and still do your thing outside :D Also, theres always shoveling snow, if you get that :P
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    Options

Summer is harder

All I'm going to say is

dirty_snow.jpg
    Pretty, right

Those people are COLD

Or a little jacket

Oh, sure, I'm gardening in a t-shirt at 50 degrees F on sunny days in April.

Impressive! (Tbh though, in complete hypocrisy, I would still probably wear a sweater or little jacket in that weather... my tolerance for cold has declined, now that I'm into my middle years :/)

I've taken up a lot of space here complaining about winter and poking a bit of fun at people who don't deal with very low temps for very long, but the OP is a good question, and I'm keen to hear more answers.

I like what people have said - especially doing winter sports, if you physically can, to try to get something pleasurable out of it. Maybe I'll be able to skate this winter, that'd be fun to do again. Maybe I'll hit a dry sauna now and then, too, like the Scandinavians do. What else is there, mulled wine... what else...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 50 in the sun is worlds apart from an overcast, damp 50, especially if you're out in it for an hour or more and not just back and forth from the car or whatever.

The beauty part is that people from Cuenca, Ecuador would think spring in Texas is too dang cold in the morning and too dang hot in the afternoon. Of the same day.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from SAD in the past so I always go into winter with some trepidation and try and work on a plan of action to combat it. I'm in the UK so the weather isn't too cold so I'll run when I can outside and fit it into daylight hours. Otherwise it's gym or pool inside to boost my mood. Food won't change too much, mainly swap salads for soups. Also focus on positivity and my life goals so my mind keeps happy.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    I love cold weather so winter is the best...I tend to go running a little more often in winter because summer heat and humidity makes it more difficult.

I feel like a toughie running in the winter. You know it's cold when your nostril hairs or eye lashes freeze while on a run. Kind of a "I am woman, hear me roar" sort of experience. Well, except after a thaw and refreeze, then you are just asking for a broken wrist.

Yeah, the thaw and refreeze is the only problem. When that happens, I switch from running the trail I usually run to running on the roads in the park...they keep those very clear, so ice is never a problem. The only negative is that is hillier, so the run is much harder. LOL!