Intermittent fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Luv IF. During the week I just one meal a day or a very small window. On my days off usually a bigger window. I feel much better eating this way too! Every once in a while I fast for around 40 hours.

**Please note there are fewer risks for men fasting than women. I've seen no evidence or studies that list any risks for women doing 16:8. I however would not personally recommend women fast for longer on a regular basis (unless it's for religious or spiritual reasons). The potential risks start to pile on when women fast longer than 16 hours and increase the longer you go. Please research the risks before attempting regular longer fasts.

I very much enjoyed 16:8. I found it an effective maintenance woe.

Can you speak to what these increased risks are? Do they affect all or most women? Or just women in a specific subset and if so what is that subset?

I've read a good deal about alternate day fasting and 5:2 plans, and from what I've read, they don't seem to have considerable increased risks for most women and they often have 24 hour fasts. In fact, they can have additional benefits such as increased insulin sensitivity and decreasing levels of IGF-1. So I'd really like to know more about the risks to which you're referring. Please share.

http://paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/#comments

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/women-and-intermittent-fasting/#axzz3mL8qR1W2
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I heard IF was not good with women, so I never went down that route - as the point of my weight loss is to try to get pregnant. So for me it wasn't worth taking the risk. However, I've never personally tried it so couldn't say one way or the other.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Luv IF. During the week I just one meal a day or a very small window. On my days off usually a bigger window. I feel much better eating this way too! Every once in a while I fast for around 40 hours.

**Please note there are fewer risks for men fasting than women. I've seen no evidence or studies that list any risks for women doing 16:8. I however would not personally recommend women fast for longer on a regular basis (unless it's for religious or spiritual reasons). The potential risks start to pile on when women fast longer than 16 hours and increase the longer you go. Please research the risks before attempting regular longer fasts.

Can you speak to what these increased risks are? Do they affect all or most women? Or just women in a specific subset and if so what is that subset?

I've read a good deal about alternate day fasting and 5:2 plans, and from what I've read, they don't seem to have considerable increased risks for most women and they often have 24 hour fasts. In fact, they can have additional benefits such as increased insulin sensitivity and decreasing levels of IGF-1. So I'd really like to know more about the risks to which you're referring. Please share.

http://paleoforwomen.com/shattering-the-myth-of-fasting-for-women-a-review-of-female-specific-responses-to-fasting-in-the-literature/#comments

I've read those articles and I did know that IF may not produce as good as results as it did for men, but I didn't interpret that nearly as much as a "risk". More of a "hey, this may not work all that well for you." And, at least for me, that's wasn't the case at all -- I found it shockingly easy and had great results -- though I only found that with 5:2. I never did ADF and didn't find any noticeable differences with 16:8 or 14:10. My insulin sensitivity did improve, but that also may have been from the weight loss.

The only "risk" I knew about which is one of the ones mentioned in both articles was the possibility of affecting hormonal issues for those pregnant or trying to get pregnant. Since I was neither at the time, I didn't worry about it. I've never read of any other real risk. Thanks for sharing.

• austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Alternate day fasting works better, if that's your thing. I'm an ADFer and the weight just sheds off without you trying.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    IF, has been a great eating pattern for me.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

I've read those articles and I did know that IF may not produce as good as results as it did for men, but I didn't interpret that nearly as much as a "risk". More of a "hey, this may not work all that well for you." And, at least for me, that's wasn't the case at all -- I found it shockingly easy and had great results -- though I only found that with 5:2. I never did ADF and didn't find any noticeable differences with 16:8 or 14:10. My insulin sensitivity did improve, but that also may have been from the weight loss.

The only "risk" I knew about which is one of the ones mentioned in both articles was the possibility of affecting hormonal issues for those pregnant or trying to get pregnant. Since I was neither at the time, I didn't worry about it. I've never read of any other real risk. Thanks for sharing.
    It's more of my general disclaimer for any female reading these forums.

My research in medical articles (and the kinds of things linked above, thanks for linking) found next to no risk of hormonal issues for women doing 18:6. Once you start fasting longer on a regular basis, it showered hormonal issues to increase. Not just fertility, but hormones control all sorts of functions in our bodies and getting them off balance (as I think anyone in the menopause range can attest to...) is not something I want to risk. I worked SUPER hard putting muscle and bone mass back on, I personally don't want to do ANYTHING to increase my risk. Whether you take hormonal birth control, have had a hysterectomy... all these things affect our risks. Men simply don't have to consider this. All they have to consider is whether they have the willpower to fast longer than 24 hours.

Many women coming to these forums to read these threads are young women (some even younger than 18!) who probably don't want to take chances with their hormones. I just feel obligated to note that 16:8 (for those interested in trying IF) does not have the potential risks of others. I didn't mean to sound overly alarmist.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

It's more of my general disclaimer for any female reading these forums.

My research in medical articles (and the kinds of things linked above, thanks for linking) found next to no risk of hormonal issues for women doing 18:6. Once you start fasting longer on a regular basis, it showered hormonal issues to increase. Not just fertility, but hormones control all sorts of functions in our bodies and getting them off balance (as I think anyone in the menopause range can attest to...) is not something I want to risk. I worked SUPER hard putting muscle and bone mass back on, I personally don't want to do ANYTHING to increase my risk. Whether you take hormonal birth control, have had a hysterectomy... all these things affect our risks. Men simply don't have to consider this. All they have to consider is whether they have the willpower to fast longer than 24 hours.

Many women coming to these forums to read these threads are young women (some even younger than 18!) who probably don't want to take chances with their hormones. I just feel obligated to note that 16:8 (for those interested in trying IF) does not have the potential risks of others. I didn't mean to sound overly alarmist.

Fair enough, but a lot I've read liken those "risks" to the hormonal shifts you see in a prolonged caloric deficit too. And I haven't seen anything on other systems like 5:2. If the "risks" were substantial for such fasts you'd think that we'd see such hormonal problems in groups that regularly practice 24 hour fasts such as certain sects of jews, muslims, etc. And, as far as I know, the women in those groups haven't been found to have any more substantial hormonal shifts than others.

I'm not sure I'd go as far to say it's alarmist, but just that the research in human women is very, very scant -- which even Stefani points out. So, a "risk" seems like a very strong word to me in this context.

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Another 18:6er here.

:drinker:

"If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands...!"

Haha! :D
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That's my natural tendency, and while I always have coffee in the AM, sometimes I eat a bit, sometimes I don't. It works well for me to have a big meal at night; that way once a day I fill my belly to the satisfaction point and so I rarely feel deprived. "Six small meals a day" was a living hell for me, as I was never satisfied yet had to think about food constantly. So I am not purely 18:6 though I was for months at a time.
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That's my natural tendency, and while I always have coffee in the AM, sometimes I eat a bit, sometimes I don't. It works well for me to have a big meal at night; that way once a day I fill my belly to the satisfaction point and so I rarely feel deprived. "Six small meals a day" was a living hell for me, as I was never satisfied yet had to think about food constantly. So I am not purely 18:6 though I was for months at a time.

Same here. Also realized recently that my petite mother has eaten this way for over 20 years; just what she's always done!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I started with IF in the 90s when the book The Warrior Diet came out and I realized that I had eaten this way as a kid and through high school just naturally because eating makes me tired/low energy. I never ate breakfast. Actually food before noon makes me feel sick to think about it.
    I've found that not eating during the day gives me more energy when I'm working and running around. Then at night when it's time to start slowing down and relaxing eating and feeling tired(relaxed) is a good thing. Plus, it seems easier to stay within my allotted calories when they are spaced over a shorter time period. I basically do 16/8 and my eating window runs from around 2 to 10 pm and I'm in bed by midnight.
    I'm much too busy all day to graze.