1g of protein for 1lb

Options
2»

Replies

• Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    It's .8 grams of protein per lean body mass. Not your weight. So if your ideal weight is 180 but you weight 300 are you going to eat 300 grams. Of course not. Lean body mass
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sith78 wrote: »
    It's .8 grams of protein per lean body mass. Not your weight. So if your ideal weight is 180 but you weight 300 are you going to eat 300 grams. Of course not. Lean body mass

No, at that amount, it's your weight. 0.80-0.82 grams protein per 1 lb. bodyweight is the most the human body can utilize per day for new muscle synthesis.

Don't use extreme examples for this. How many fit people who lift in this world weigh 300 lbs. or more?

I encourage you to read up on the most recent studies.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »

No, at that amount, it's your weight. Don't use extreme examples for this. How many fit people who lift in this world weigh 300 lbs. or more?

And you'll have to get a BodPod test or DEXA scan just to find out how much LBM you have... you really think the average person is going to bother getting this done, @sith78 ?
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options

No, at that amount, it's your weight. Don't use extreme examples for this. How many fit people who lift in this world weigh 300 lbs. or more?

Ok I won't go to that extreme. So if I gained 20 pounds of fat I would have to eat 20 grams of protein

And you'll have to get a BodPod test or DEXA scan just to find out how much LBM you have... you really think the average person is going to bother getting this done, @sith78 ?

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be a bodybuilder to be able to utilize more than your stated value.

The value you gave is for sedentary people who are not interested in new muscle synthesis. It is a minimum amount for celluar maintenance and such, not for muscle building.

The value was for the population, as per the reference. Bodybuilders believe more is beneficial.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    You don't have to be a bodybuilder to be able to utilize more than your stated value.

The value you gave is for sedentary people who are not interested in new muscle synthesis. It is a minimum amount for celluar maintenance and such, not for muscle building.

The value was for the population, as per the reference. Bodybuilders believe more is beneficial.

So, are you going to prove you're right or what?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

The recommendation I've seen is to google that picture that shows what different people male/female look like at various body fat percentages and pick the one that looks most like you