Does this sound close? Calorie estimate for dinner out.

Options
Going out to a Japanese restaurant tomorrow. They're a local place, and they don't have any nutrition facts. I haven't ordered the entree or dessert before, so I don't have any idea of the portion size. I know that the soup and salad are small portions. Using the database and Google, I've come up with about 1,500 calories for the following:

miso soup 85

salad with ginger dressing 200

chirashi bowl (menu only describes it as sashimi over rice) 850 - went with highest I found to be safe

mochi ice cream (splitting this with another person) 400

I know I will have a better idea after I get there and see the portions of rice and ice cream + any potential extras in that chirashi bowl, but I'm wanting a good estimate to plan the rest of my day around.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    But, but spider rolls! Oh and unagi!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Are you just looking to get validation on your calorie count? Or lookign fo rideas to cut the amount of calories down?
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Are you just looking to get validation on your calorie count? Or lookign fo rideas to cut the amount of calories down?

I'm wondering if my estimate sounds legit. 1,500 is fine for me to blow on dinner tomorrow.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Going out to a Japanese restaurant tomorrow. They're a local place, and they don't have any nutrition facts. I haven't ordered the entree or dessert before, so I don't have any idea of the portion size. I know that the soup and salad are small portions. Using the database and Google, I've come up with about 1,500 calories for the following:

miso soup 85

salad with ginger dressing 200

chirashi bowl (menu only describes it as sashimi over rice) 850 - went with highest I found to be safe

mochi ice cream (splitting this with another person) 400

I know I will have a better idea after I get there and see the portions of rice and ice cream + any potential extras in that chirashi bowl, but I'm wanting a good estimate to plan the rest of my day around.

The mochi ice cream might be high. Usually, you don't get an actual bowl or anything like that - you get these little discs of mochi rice with about a tbs of ice cream in them. The largest serving I've ever ordered was probably no more than 8 actual bites.

I'm only saying this too because 1/2 cup of thick, rich custard is only 200 cals at my favorite ice cream shop. I wouldn't count my experiences with mochi ice cream as being anywhere near that.

But, it would probably be better to wait and see if your place serves it like the places I've been to do. The worst that can happen is that you end up with a few cals to spare.

ETA: Jealous because I love mochi ice cream. Don't shy away from the black-colored one if they have it (the actual flavor escapes me). I was afraid it was going to taste like black liquorish, but it was really, really good.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    ohmscheeks wrote: »
    Yes.

Thank you! Edit: and others!