Pre-diabetes

Options
I just got some life insurance labs back. Based on my A1C I think I am pre-diabetic (just above normal)These tests were done before I started losing weight. I have lost 11 pounds and my goal is 30. Anyone dealt with this. Advice or encouragement would be great.

Replies

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had a high A1C also. I would recommend that you talk to your doctor though. But mine recommended that I lose some weight, exercise (not necessarily strenuous, but walking or swimming), and limit simple carbs at each meal. She gave me some guidelines, and recommended a book, but I don't have either with me at the moment because I out of town. Basically always pair simple carbs with protein and fat. So don't just have cold cereal with skim milk (my pre-MFP breakfast), or two pieces of toast with jam (my other favorite pre-MFP breakfast). Instead have one piece of toast with eggs, or oatmeal with milk and some half-and-half mixed in. Save the cold cereal for an afternoon snack, and have less of it.

By doing this one simple thing -- cutting back on simple carbs and pairing them with protein -- I cured myself of that awful mid-morning blood sugar crash when I'd get that shaky hungry thing where I had to eat everything in sight.

I haven't been back to the doctor yet since that last checkup, but I've lost about 18 pounds and never have that blood sugar crash anymore. So I'm hoping for a lower A1C also when I go next time.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Go on and have them give you a blood monitor and test your glucose when you get up, and 2 hours after each meal. Find out when you are running high. Cutting down on high glycemic load carbs and exercise are the easiest ways to bring the numbers down each day.

If they let you keep testing that often, great! If not, make sure to do it for a week or so at least so you know what's going on with when your glucose gets high.

My highest was from overnight each night :( I'm on medicine that brings everything back to normal now, but the parts I do to fix it help keep me on less medicine than I would be on! My pre-diabetes went bad quickly, even making the changes, so do take it very seriously.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution was great guide for me on where to start with cutting carbs to lower my blood sugar. It worked very well.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I echo @Monklady123 and @cafeaulait7 for their advice. Add some protein at breakfast, keep losing weight and staying active and I bet those numbers go down.

Avoiding the blood sugar rush/crash has the double benefit of improved vitality.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I got a pre-diabetic diagnosis last year at my physical. Tried to make a few changes, but nothing major and saw my a1c go up (5.9 to 6.0) this year. I started getting serious about dealing with it. I lost about 25 pounds (putting me at mid range BMI) and started walking 20-30 minutes most days. Tried to keep the carbs in check, but still having some difficulties with that. I went back to the Dr. After 3 months for new blood work - I'm down to a1c of 5.7 now (top end of normal is 5.6). So, now I'm trying to watch the carbs a bit closer and hope that helps even more. There is a health fair in my area in 2 weeks where I can get tested for free, so I'm going to do that and see.
    My Dr. Said she doubted my insurance would cover seeing a nutritionist given that I was barely pre-diabetic. And she did not think I needed meds or to be testing my blood sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Owlfan88 keep an eye out for free glucose meter offers. Companies are keen on getting your business as the money is in the tester strips.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've seen some of those offers. I'm going to at least see how my numbers are at the health fair before I look into a meter. I'm really not wild about poking myself lots.