Traded alcoholism for sugar...

Options
Ive been sober for almost 4 years and for most of that time I have used food to fill that void. Whether I am happy, sad, bored etc. "I don't eat until I'm full, I eat until I hate myself." That is my relationship with food. I am having a lot of struggles wih sticking to eating well even when just making small changes. I always end up back where I was. Quitting drinking was so much easier than fixing my unhealthy relationship with food. Anyone experience something like this and have some advice for me? Thanks for reading.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Wrt sweets: instead of thinking about taking out foods, clear off your kitchen counter to make room for appliances that will help you eat more low cal vegetables. For example green beans or sliced yellow squash in a foreman grill. Make a whole chicken in a crock pot. Add baked cailiflower or broccoli as a huge side.
    You changed your life for the better by dropping the alcohol. You can can sucessfully change your life again. :)
  • caseym87
    caseym87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on 4 years sober!

Food addiction is totally different than alcoholism, because you can't just quit food. Logging everything, even if I go way over my calories, helps me. Usually it's not THAT bad and being consistent with logging keeps me moving forward.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    You can treat your sugar addiction the same way you treated your recovery from alcoholism
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Ive been sober for almost 4 years and for most of that time I have used food to fill that void. Whether I am happy, sad, bored etc. "I don't eat until I'm full, I eat until I hate myself." That is my relationship with food. I am having a lot of struggles wih sticking to eating well even when just making small changes. I always end up back where I was. Quitting drinking was so much easier than fixing my unhealthy relationship with food. Anyone experience something like this and have some advice for me? Thanks for reading.

If this is you in the photo and if you only have what your profile indicates to lose, you did an awesome trade :) Trading alcoholism for a few vanity pounds, is a job well done ! Honestly, relax, focus on slowly losing the weight, and do not stress about it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You may need greater stimulation than your average bear. Perhaps you can get your rush from extreme sports. Try a few out. Some ideas:
    Parkour
    Zombie Run
    Paragliding
    Quadding
  • markburnett70
    markburnett70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi! It's six years since I had a drink. I traded drinking for skiing and biking depending on the season. Worked great until I tore my acl and had to hang out with myself and my screwed up head. Things are better now, I needed some help. You can have a great life without turning to outside substances or behaviors to get a little peace of mind too. Root causes are what I had to address to stay off the merry go round.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Congrats on 4 years!

An addiction is an addiction. Even if it's mental, that's still a problem. Exercise works, better food choices can help too. For me, most sugar is a trigger food, so I had to cut it completely. After months without it, I can now have a tiny treat and not lose control, but there are still some tastes I have to avoid.

Keep trying, that's the important part. My daughter is 2.5yrs and traded greasy mechanic stuff for alcohol. Don't think the only trade is food or exercise. A hobby or new vocation might be it. Keep exploring.
  • smitch72
    smitch72 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been sober for 7.5 years now.
    Stopped smoking 4 yrs ago.
    Gave up products with added sugar in Aug'14.
    Have now discovered that I enjoy knitting and growing veg on our allotment.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it seems like you have emotional/mental issues, and instead of dealing with them, you just switched vices. Like everyone else, I want to congratulate you on getting sober; that alone must have greatly increased your healthy. But, it seems like you're still having to deal with the same issues.

Yes, you can switch to another vice, but I really think your best option would be to speak to a therapist and try to resolve the emotional issues.