Low Carb Diet Advice

Options
I've been on a low carb diet for 2 weeks with one day a week allowed as high carbs. I've lost 9lbs since I started it, which is great but it seems that today my stomach doesn't agree with it at all and I know my stomach is always the first thing to suffer if I'm doing something wrong.

I've cut out carbs completely so I'm going to introduce a small amount each day to try and settle my stomach, e.g. a wholemeal sandwich for lunch OR a small portion of brown rice with dinner, but I'm worried that I won't carry on losing weight (I know this is ridiculous because I've lost weight before and never gone low carb), but I just wanted reassurance that I can eat a small amount of carbs and still lose weight consistently?

Any advice would be great

Replies

• rebeccagustafson
    rebeccagustafson Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Start by adding fruit and vegetables. This is a great way to add good carbs and not gain back the weight you have lost. I also always eat my carbs before 3 and then restrict after.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've been on a low carb diet for 2 weeks with one day a week allowed as high carbs. I've lost 9lbs since I started it, which is great but it seems that today my stomach doesn't agree with it at all and I know my stomach is always the first thing to suffer if I'm doing something wrong.

I've cut out carbs completely so I'm going to introduce a small amount each day to try and settle my stomach, e.g. a wholemeal sandwich for lunch OR a small portion of brown rice with dinner, but I'm worried that I won't carry on losing weight (I know this is ridiculous because I've lost weight before and never gone low carb), but I just wanted reassurance that I can eat a small amount of carbs and still lose weight consistently?

Any advice would be great

It sounds like you already know the answer to the question you're asking...

You've said that your stomach is suffering because you're doing something you shouldn't be... I would say you're right

You also said you've lost weight before without cutting carbs out of your diet.... so why are you doing something different now... because you want to lose weight FASTER is my guess?

I wouldn't advise cutting a whole food group from your diet, it's not necessary and it's not healthy

Eat carbs in moderation and make sure they're good ones such as brown rice, wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta.... your body needs carbs, especially if you're exercising.... I would be very wary of taking advice from someone who says otherwise

Fuel your body properly, exercise and eat at a deficit and you will lose weight... not overnight but given time
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    About 6-7 of those pounds you lost are because you aren't holding the water necessary to process carbs. Your digestive system needs more water to process the fibrous content of the carbs.

Add back fruits and vegetables. They have the micronutrients you aren't getting on your high fat high protein diet.

The grains you don't really need a lot of - the bread and rice is high calorie, and losing weight often means some things have to be eaten in moderation - but you really need vegetables.

• Onlineasllou
    Options
    Cutting out an entire food group is not a healthy way eat. Even the proponents of low carb diets don't recommend "cutting out carbs completely." While there is nothing wrong with a low-carb lifestyle, it has to be done properly (which includes eating some carbs.)

If you are interested in trying a low carb lifestyle, I suggest you get a book on the subject and/or browse websites that have information about the proper implementation of such a plan. Most plans cut carbs significantly for only a short time in the beginning ... and then add carbs back gradually. Learn about that process before embarking on such a dramatic change in the way you nourish your body.

A "lower carb" lifestyle has worked very well for me, but I've done my homework on it and have implemented it safely.
  • Cherry_T
    Cherry_T Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This diet works great for me. I just get my energy from fats.