Fibromyalgia and weight loss advice

Options
I am currently struggling with losing weight and battling fibromyalgia symptoms. I am just beginning my journey and need some advice!

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. How you get there is individual. That's it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Do gentle exercise like walking if you are not already doing so because it might help you feel better. Eat less food while making sure that you are eating enough protein.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain (neck injury with nerve damage) and just wanted to encourage you! I've lost 99 lbs now with eating less calories than I burn. In fact, I started getting active and while it's not helped my pain (it might do for some) I have a better sense of control over my own body. I swim, walk, and use low impact machines like the bike and elliptical. When I can, I lift weights although I'm limited with that. Listen to your body, and just know that you can do this!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. How you get there is individual. That's it.

This is a gross oversimplification that's why most people fail.

If you want to udnerstand the fundamentals of weightloss and increase you chances of success, then read my most recent blog post. My blog is called almost vegan but the post is not about veganism. Its about the things on which there is general consensus among weight loss scientists and which many dieters seem to be unwilling to take seriously.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »

If you want to udnerstand the fundamentals of weightloss and increase you chances of success, then read my most recent blog post. My blog is called almost vegan but the post is not about veganism. Its about the things on which there is general consensus among weight loss scientists and which many dieters seem to be unwilling to take seriously.

Actually, it's not an oversimplification of anything at all. It's basic science.

No thanks as to your blog post. ;)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Actually, most people fail because they have unrealistic expectations of weight loss. They think they can take magic pills to burn fat but still eat whatever they want to. Then when they go on the scale and don't lose weight they get upset and claim they "can't" lose weight. Others will move around a bit more, but still eat the way they used to and say "I've been exercising a lot lately and I haven't lost weight. What gives?"

"What gives" is that it really is as simple as "Eat less calories than you burn and you will lose weight." You don't need diet pills, surgery, or a plant-based diet to do so either. Most people can't accept this because they don't want to hold themselves accountable for how much they eat. The weight loss industry won't emphasize CICO because there's not really money in it for them. When people finally do try the CICO approach, some of them give up if they don't lose 5 pounds per week because they have no idea how many calories are in a pound and how the math of weight loss works. Others fail because they swear they're "only eating 1000 calories per day!" but it's really more like 1500. Others fail because they maintained a deficit "most of the time", but the truth comes out that on the other days they were eating so many excess calories that they canceled out their deficit for the week.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Agree with @SLLRunner. A lot of people fail because they think it's way more complicated than it really is. Sure, as you go along, you might be interested in understanding more about how your body uses fuel and processes nutrients and reacts to physical exertion. But you really don't need to understand all that to get started. A toddler doesn't need to understand physics and biomechanics to walk...they just need to grab ahold of something, haul themselves up, and put one foot in front of the other.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    As for the fibro, I'm doing MFP with very little exercise due to physical limitations and pain. I can attest that calorie deficit alone is sufficient for consistent weight loss. But gentle movement and getting outdoors on a regular basis helps ease symptoms and boost my mental outlook.
  • HarleeRaquel
    HarleeRaquel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I am not just going to eat less, I am going to be more active. By that I mean leisurely walking for 20-30 mins a day and staying on my feet more. I don't take prescription medication and refuse to, so hopefully this helps.
  • HarleeRaquel
    HarleeRaquel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Erin awesome! How do you you stay motivated through all the pain???
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I decided I want to be in a healthier weight bracket and to be fit... I want it more than staying in bed, or anything else. I know that I'll have pain no matter what so I might as well be in pain walking, or swimming than sitting on my butt lol. For me, getting more fit has helped me feel more in control over my body. Until I started I didn't realise that I felt that my pain and limitations ruled me and now I feel more like I own my body and the pain is just something that hangs around... If that makes any sense. I'm showing myself what I can do, despite my left arm not working well and the constant pain.

I also have huge motivation in that I've seen family members die of heart attacks, and have diabetes, and such. I want to avoid that as I have enough health problems! We also want to try for a baby, and I know it will be a struggle with my issues and I didn't want to add being obese on top of that. It's these things that keep me going. I also don't try to "eat clean" or anything dramatic, but eat healthy foods, and moderate treats (I love chocolate) to fit my calories. It means I can enjoy life, lose weight, and do this long term.

Feel free to add me if you'd like! I know how hard pain can be sometimes but honestly, you can totally lose weight and get in shape, and feel strong if you want it. :)
  • SeptemberFeyre
    SeptemberFeyre Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Harlee,
    Reading Dr. Sarno's book The Mindbody Prescription and putting the principles therein to practice helped me the most. I am now 80% free of pain. CICO helps as well. I'm losing about a pound a week at 1350 calories. Good luck :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am currently struggling with losing weight and battling fibromyalgia symptoms. I am just beginning my journey and need some advice!

Do you have access to a pool? Many have water exercise classes aimed specifically for people with fibromyalgia. They are lower intensity and gentler activity that the regular water aerobics would be.

• jclake000
    jclake000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    "The Divided Mind" by Dr. Sarno is a must read for anyone with fibromyalgia. MUST READ! Also recommend, "Pain Free for Life" by Dr. Scott Brady.