Missing potatoes much? Spuds are us!

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hey hey!

Far be it from me to knock anyone for cutting potatoes right out of their diet... But what about shepherds pie and potato-leek and bacon soup? Shall we kick such delightful morsels to the proverbial curb?!?!

I say HELL NO!

While there is certainly no absolute substitute for that fluffy, billowy texture of mashed taters or the thick and creamy consistency of them puréed in one of my many favourite soups... There is hope! And my friends, it lies in cauliflower!

Jokes aside, even before I was dieting, cauliflower stole centre stage in a few of my dinner menus selections. And not just because it's colour provides a kind of mental trickery in that I forget (the same way I try to trick my brain into margarine a la "I CANT BELIEVE ITS NOT BUTTER!!!") I'm not actually eating potatoes. The greatest thing about cauliflower is its rediculous versatility! Steamed, mashed, puréed, liquified, even pan seared or deep fried!

Ok wait a tick..,. I'm rhyming now.

Bottom line, is that there's some pretty darn creative ways to use the diet foods to trick your brain into being happier with the food you're eating. There's other foods that are part of this secret society though! I challenge you to seek them out! Or at least wait til I have time to post about them and how you can use em!

Friend me if you have cooking questions or if you simply need suggestions!

There's the rhyming again,,, must be my cue to go to bed. Goodnight all!

P.S. Potatoes... I got your number B****ES!!!

Potatoes are the perfect diet food for me. I eat them usually with some Sri Racha sauce, or salsa Valentina or just some good quality natural salt and lots of black pepper. If I need something creamy on top, then it's home made greek yogurt, or half a cup of home made Tzatziki.
    Cauliflower is my #2 favorite vegetable ( after Brussels sprouts ), but I would not make tortillas, rice or pizza crust with it. I prefer it all natural....:o).

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes a lot. There are some in the oven as I type. Go, potatos! :)
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I eat potatoes all the time. Cauliflower is good, too. But, it's not a potato.

P.S. I eat REAL butter, too, and make my mashed potatoes with heavy whipping cream. Oh, and sometimes I drink whole milk.

Down 100 pounds.
    REAL FOOD... I'VE GOT YOUR NUMBER!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I got some local organic potatoes at the grocery store today and baked one of them in the toaster tonight for dinner. So yummy. They were so fresh that the skin was fork tender and you could eat it without having to chew any harder than you would for the potato itself. Filled me up for 200 calories, so I can't complain. I don't know why people demonize potatoes so much. Considering how well they satisfy hunger, they're a calorie bargain.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    steak potatoes brussel sprouts and broccoli is like my staple "balanced meal".
  • emma_vdv
    emma_vdv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have seen cauliflower pizza base, but have never actually tried to make one myself.
    hmm, maybe a task for this weekend? ;)

I have this all the time, sooo good. Haven't had a bread based pizza in about 5-6 months as this is cheap, quick and easy to make from scratch. Plus if I make extra bases they freeze well.

• suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love potatoes (any kind of potato, done any way) and cauliflower.

Cauliflower and Sweet Potato Curry - yummy!!!!! 257 calories - bargain!!!
    Makes 4 Portions
    1 tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 tbsp. medium curry powder
    4 tsp plain flour
    350g orange-fleshed sweet potatoes- cut into cubes
    350g cauliflower florets
    850ml vegetable stock
    100g green beans, trimmed
    1 tsp garam masala

1. sauté onion for 2-3 mins. Stir in garlic, curry power and flour and cook another min.
    2. Add sweet potatoes along with cauliflower and stock. Bring to boil and simmer 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are almost tender.
    3. Stir in the green beans and garam masala and cook for 3 mins.
    4. Serve with warm naan bread (EXTRA CALS) and wedges of lime

• elisharenee149
    elisharenee149 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oooooooohhhh sounds super yummy and mucho inviting! I'm a curry lover myself - great recipe!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I just dug up some spuds for dinner tonight. Yum. Only a potato is a potato. Cauliflower has its place (go curry!) but why "trick" my brain?? Love me a potato...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I tried a cauliflower mash recipe once, but... I realized I hadn't paid close enough attention to the recipe or comments prior to making it. It was a low carb recipe where they had to get back all the flavor by adding large (to me) quantities of sharp cheese, cream and some other goodies. The calories were more than normal mash would be. And I'm not even that into mashed. But I did buy potatoes on Saturday after reading this thread. I bet after hitting "Post Reply", I'll find that the thread was indeed started early this A.M. FML...

But I'll probably try the cauliflower pizza crust though. It'll probably work great for me since I'm not super super into pizza anyway, so it won't feel like a travesty ;)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I like potatoes.
    And I don't think they are hugely high in calories.

I quite like cauliflower too.

But I don't interchange or substitute or pretend one is the other.
    That just seems silly to me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm. Turnips. I have lots from my garden this year. I've been eating scalloped turnips.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I often substitute cauliflower or turnips for potatoes in recipes to cut calories. Potatoes have never been a favorite food for me.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza crust is amazing. If I only cook a specified number of potatoes then I'm good but God forbid if I cook a batch because then I eat the entire pot. I'm the same way with bread. Those are my two vices. Mashed potatoes cooked with garlic and mashed with butter, buttermilk and heavy cream, salt & pepper and chives...OMG so very good. Mashed crack is more like it.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Wendys-Natural-Cut-Fries.jpg

MMMmmmmmmm potatoes....
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like potatoes.
    And I don't think they are hugely high in calories.

I quite like cauliflower too.

But I don't interchange or substitute or pretend one is the other.
    That just seems silly to me.
    i concur.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Both potatoes and cauliflower have their place. I enjoy both.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I tried to sub cauliflsower once for the potatoes in a shepards pie. Never again. I love cauliflower in all sorts of preparations, but it was too watery and just didn't hold up like potatoes do.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Mmmmmm. Turnips. I have lots from my garden this year. I've been eating scalloped turnips.

*twitch*

Am I the only person who loathes turnips? Those and parsnips - some of the only foods that trigger an instant gag reflex for me.