what percent of carbs in your diet is considered low carb

Options
on a 1500 cal. diet; what percent of that would be considered low carb

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you are not wanting to go extremely low...look at about 100gms carbs which is approx 27% of your daily calorie allowance.

Some people don't go over 50gms, others 30gms...

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hmm I don't usually track it by percentage. I am best when I stay around 100g or lower. Is there a reason you want to use a percentage?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    look at grams, not percentages...and it depends on whether you just want to low carb or keto.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto is usually considered to be 5% carbs but very active folks can tae it much higher. Low carb often seems to below 20%... about.

Low carbers usually go by grams, as said above. <100g is pretty typical. More active people go higher. I'm in ketosis and eat about 1500 Cal per day, and my carbs are set at about 20g.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thanks, I set my goal at 20% carbs which came out to app. 75 grams. I'll try this for a while to see how it works
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1500 calorie plan and I don't pay any attention to my carbs! In fact, I love carbs! :D Oops..
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Low is subjective. For me, anything below 200 grams of carbs a day is low. To someone looking to be in ketosis, low might mean 50 grams. I think we could help you more if you tell us why you're asking the question.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    For the Ketogenic diet it is "recommended" when trying to fat adapt aka get into Ketosis to keep carbs <25grams. Once in a deep ketosis (around 2.0 on glucometer) " some" people can tolerate increasing carbs to 50 grams and remain in ketosis, but varies person to person.
    Generally speaking "low" is very subjective.