Food Scale at College: Is it really that weird?

Options
I am thinking about getting a smaller food scale so I can carry it around with me when I go eat at the dining halls on campus. Is this completely weird?

It's very difficult to get accurate nutrition info, if any at all, from my campus and I know this will help me log more accurately, at least for my fruits/veggies and other measurable foods.

Thoughts?

Replies

• TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There is nothing weird about it. It just shows that you take your nutrition seriously. There are some really nice and discrete small scales out there. Remember, in life people will judge you no matter what you do, it's your life do what you like.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I've done much weirder things in college.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Not weird. I like this one... http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0012N1NAA It's in my purse and I take it to restaurants too.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Definitely take it. College kids gain a ton of weight, but you won't be one of them.
  • daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    Not weird. I like this one... http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0012N1NAA It's in my purse and I take it to restaurants too.
    I don't think I've ever ordered something from Amazon so quickly in my entire life. You are a gentlewoman and a scholar, friend!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've done much weirder things in college.

Ditto! Lol.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Weird as in different and out of the ordinary? Yes. Most people do not carry food scales around with them, especially in college.

If you want to use it, do that! If people have a problem with it, let it be their problem and not yours. But if you discuss it with someone and say, "I weigh all of my food before I eat it," be prepared for them to think that's a little bit crazy. It isn't something people see every day. Most of them have never heard of such a thing and will think it seems weird or obsessive.

Don't let it get to you. :)
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I want to say no, because that's totally something I would do and have contemplated doing many times.
    But I get too self conscious and know for a fact people will judge. It's something people aren't used to seeing so they may simply question it or call you weird/make comments about you having an eating disorder.
    I don't mean to sound harsh by saying that, I just want you to know what to expect. Heck, I get that from my family for using a food scale at home (but then again, it is a pocket scale - I like accuracy)! If people aren't used to something, they'll question it. My family goes on diets all the time and will join me when they're tracking usually, but when they fall off the wagon they become more critical of it.
    I say just do what you want! It's your health, not theirs! As others have mentioned, people are going to find a way to judge you no matter what!