Opinions on taking pre-workout?

Options
Hello everyone, I want to start weight training and cardio but my energy levels are really low. Do you suggest taking a pre workout for beginners? If so does anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks guys!

Replies

• joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I use a pre workout but only before strength training it appears to have helped with fat loss and gives me energy too. I have little energy too due to shift work. I use athlete nutrition voltage and there fat burner velocity. They make me a little jittery (shaky) but not too bad. I am in the UK though so not sure if that's any good to you.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    joybedford wrote: »
    Hi I use a pre workout but only before strength training it appears to have helped with fat loss and gives me energy too. I have little energy too due to shift work. I use athlete nutrition voltage and there fat burner velocity. They make me a little jittery (shaky) but not too bad. I am in the UK though so not sure if that's any good to you.

PWO's or other supplements don't help in losing weight... that comes from a caloric deficit.

The jittery feeling is from caffeine.

OP there is really no point in taking a PWO unless you set PR's often, or workout early in the morning.

How many calories are you eating? Stats?

• jersey_54
    jersey_54 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Never had pwo irl and still slayin em weights crew chekin in
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Normally coffee is my preworkout. However, some of my training days are designed to fry my nervous system, and those days are easier to handle with a preworkout on board.
  • Krisfit40
    Krisfit40 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use kaged muscle supplements, they can be found on bodybuilding.com.. The pre workout is designed to give you focus and there are no jitters or itchy effects... It has all natural patented ingredients also!
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Supplements aren't necessary; you can have coffee or something if you want some caffeine, but you may also want to make sure you're eating, sleeping, and resting enough if you're lacking in energy.
  • tank1539
    tank1539 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love em. I'm in the gym at 5 am and they absolutely help me. I use anarchy.
  • fitrep1
    fitrep1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I want to start weight training and cardio but my energy levels are really low. Do you sugg. t taking a pre workout for beginners? If so does anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks guys!

Start with your BCAA's and also B vitamins. Make sure you are using a quality protein source. It is hard to say if there is any other issues because I don't know you but start with the easiest first.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I tend to shy away from them when I'm only doing cardio, but take one almost all of the time on lifting days.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to react that well to them myself, but if it works for you, then I think it fine.
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you're thinking of adding a pwo grab some sample packs of different brands and see which ones work for you. Everybody reacts differently, some will make you jittery, some will make you want to scratch your skin off for a few minutes others may give you the oh so attractive niacin flush. Just be aware that once you do find a brand you like you'll adapt pretty quickly and may have to cycle on and off and or switch brands.

Before taking a pwo I would fix your diet and rest/recovery first to address the low energy issue.
  • rifletotinbadboy
    rifletotinbadboy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Mr Hyde. It works awesome, no shakes or goose bumps. If you never used a pre work out use half a scoop to figure out tolerances. Here's. Picture of the product!
    6a55t3602qh0.jpg
    Hello everyone, I want to start weight training and cardio but my energy levels are really low. Do you suggest taking a pre workout for beginners? If so does anyone have any reccomendations? Thanks guys!

• Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I workout in the evening after work. I currently use C4 because it's fast and gets my blood flowing and helps me stick to my schedule. But it's not necessary. Alot of people just drink black coffee to achieve the same effect. If you do go the way of a PWO like C4 make sure you start with small doses. It can have quite the effect at first. But then you start building up a tolerance and will have to increase dosage. Also a warning if you are sensitive to Beta Alanine you may experience a tingling/itching feeling all over your body. It takes a while to get used to, once you break out a sweat it goes away but for some people who are really sensitive it can be very uncomfortable.

If you go the C4 route I recommend the Fruit Punch or Berry Bomb. Stay away from the Mojito...sounds amazing taste ridiculously bad. I can usually get it off Amazon for a decent price.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If your problem is energy level, then get more sleep and just take some caffeine if you want. Your choice of pill, coffee, espresso, etc...
  • jmac4263
    jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have taken several, like them a lot. Echo what others have said about c4 its my go to, Fruit punch or watermelon are best. I don't care for Blue Razz or Strawberry Margarita. All time favorite is EVL in grape flavor. Good luck!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan. I just don't enjoy the feeling of itchy eyebrows and prickly hairs on my arms. :D
  • FitForeGolf
    FitForeGolf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you choose the pre-workout supplements such as C4, be sure to check the other OTC drugs which cause it to have a negative effect. Also, make sure to cycle on and off based on the manufacturer's recommendation. I experienced liver enzymes skyrocketing with the C4 and they quickly dropped back to normal range when I stopped taking it....use black coffee and a GNC vitamin pack now.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've never used a PW and I don't really see the need to be honest. Tired isn't an excuse, get your head in the game :)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I started taking C4 a couple months ago but I only take it when I'm lifting at night and I just need a little jump start. After I'm done with this container, I'll probably switch to black coffee (cheaper)