Strength training at home

Options
I'm wanting to start strength training along with my cardio, but want to do it at home instead of the gym. I'm thinking of buying the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, but am unsure if you can follow this program at home. Please let me know if you can, and if so what sort of equipment I'd need to buy. I can't afford anything hugely expensive though. Thanks.

Replies

• stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner, but I've been using the Fitocracy app and mostly doing body weight exercises. The app has several full body body weight routines to choose from. I do have a 5lb set and a 20lb set of dumb bells that I use and I would like to buy a barbell sometime soon. HTH!
  • OxfordDVM
    OxfordDVM Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I ordered the book and it is doable at home (plus an informative read). You will need dumb bells and/or bar bells. I have some Dumbbells, but just don't have room for a bar bell and plates. I think you can modify some moves for use without bar bells from what I've read here. There are some threads that recommend books with body weight based strength training and I may try those. Good luck!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    To get very far, you'll need a minimum of a squat rack, barbell, a weight bench, and a couple hundred pounds of plates. You can find this stuff on craigslist sometimes for not much money, but it takes quite a bit of space.

If you can get it, a power rack, bench, and 300-pound Olympic barbell set will last you a lifetime. If you don't have the funds or space for it, try a bodyweight program, like you find in one of these books:

You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

YAYOG has a nice phone app that goes along with it.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I also use fitocracy. They have some good premade workouts or you can design your own. There are adjustable dumbbells and kettlebells out there that would work great to get you started.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can use Google and find several blogs whose authors followed NROLFW. I suggest giving them a glance to see if the requirements (equipment) fit you.