Bananas

Options
I love bananas...I probably eat one a day or one every other day. But I have heard they don't aid in weight loss. Especially when you are battling the tummy bulge. Is this true? Should I stop eating them? It's probably the most potassium I get!

Replies

• MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    1 banana a day will not make you fat or hinder your weight loss. Watch your cals/macros and you'll be fine :) Eat what you like!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i eat 3 bananas a day. eat them in abundance. they're so good for you. the sugar is not a problem.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ignore the anti-banana internet meme! If they fit into your macro/calorie allowance, have as many as you like. They are a great source of potassium too!
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I eat 1/day, but you know, they're not that high in potassium, and they're pretty high in carbs. There are much better foods out there, and creeps don't do double takes if you're eating one in your car. ha!
  • dancer1178
    dancer1178 Posts: 50
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'd say the carbs are probably what would make me give them up. At least on my day off from exercise. I eat them in the car all the time lol, guess I don't pay attention to the creeps! Let em stare! lol!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I love bananas...I probably eat one a day or one every other day. But I have heard they don't aid in weight loss. Especially when you are battling the tummy bulge. Is this true? Should I stop eating them? It's probably the most potassium I get!

The only way that banana will not aid in weight-loss is if you eat that banana after already eating all of your calories for the day. You could eat 10 bananas a day and you'd still lose weight as long as you ate at a calorie deficit.

Bananas are good for you. Keep eating them if you like them.
  • dancer1178
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Bananas = good.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    In for the banana diet!

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew..... oh wait, that's taters
  • dancer1178
    Options
    In for the banana diet!

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew..... oh wait, that's taters

I love taters too! lol
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I love taters too! lol
    They have a bunch of potassium, btw!

I think the banana thing started with atkins. They have more calories than a lot of fruit and a fair bit of sugar. I eat them sometimes.
  • mattkdawson
    mattkdawson Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ignore the anti-banana internet meme! If they fit into your macro/calorie allowance, have as many as you like. They are a great source of potassium too!

I'm kind of a noob here. what is a macro?
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad" foods, especially bananas. Don't believe the banana haters out there! BTW - They have some Potassium, but their Potassium content is pretty modest when compared to other foods. Here's a list in descending order (pay attention to the serving sizes). Bananas are down the list toward the bottom.

https://www.google.com/search?q=potassium+rich+foods&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have a related banana question. This might be really dumb, so don't judge! haha. I just bought a food scale and I've been weighing everything. Do the banana entries in the food database include the peel? I saw one for approx 130 g and I assumed it was for unpeeled, but when I weighed my banana with its peel on it was 126 g. Without peel it was 99 g. So...are the entries with or without peel?
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The way I figured it, I don't eat the peel.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    The way I figured it, I don't eat the peel.

LOL, I know, and I figured that too but it threw me off that my banana (including peel) was almost exactly the same as the serving size for a medium banana.
  • topazora
    topazora Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bananas are very high in potassium, potassium and magnesium work well together. And making sure your body get the vitamins and minerals its needs, could help in weight loss.
    Besides banana > 600 costco muffin.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1 banana a day will not make you fat or hinder your weight loss. Watch your cals/macros and you'll be fine :) Eat what you like!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM. No one food can make you fat unless it put you into a calorie surplus.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Expert Insight

Bananas contain 3.1 g of fiber per medium banana and 3.9 g per cup. Consuming enough fiber enables your body to digest all the food you eat more easily and benefits your cholesterol levels, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center. A study published in the May 2010 edition of the "International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health" investigated whether obese patients would lose more weight if given a native banana starch supplement. The results indicated that the participants who took the supplement lost more weight than the participants in the control group.

FROM LIVESTRONG.com