Broccoli does NOT have more protein than eggs: A Rant

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The nutritional content of food does change when it's cooked and the way it's prepared can make a difference, so it's always best to compare the two foods using the numbers from their cooked versions. So, I validate you. :)

Try not to fight with your friends about food. If they want to say that broccoli is always better, just let them say that. It really doesn't matter. It's not one of life's big issues, KWIM?

Thanks for the validation. I do appreciate it.

This guy isn't so much a friend as family - this whole post was about letting it rest on Facebook so as to keep the family peace. The protein content of broccoli isn't even the main point. The hypocrisy of telling me that I don't know anything about nutrition and telling me how misinformed I am, and then refusing to qualify that broccoli needs to be raw to compete with eggs in regards to protein content - I just can't even.

Is the egg raw?

The nutritional information on MFP seems to indicate that the egg doesn't lose protein in the boiling process. It would be easier to consume a single raw egg than half a pound of raw broccoli, either way.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I just had an argument on Facebook

There's your problem.

It started in my kitchen - 2 weeks prior. Yes, I do have a very hard time dropping things.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It is right to compare things in a similar state and amount or qualify that you are comparing a raw food to a cooked food. It is a Facebook argument though so lower your expectations.

Since the foods are not that different neither really seems better to me. It is a personal choice of eating a ton of broccoli vs. an egg. If you hate eggs or can't eat them broccoli is an option. If you don't want to eat a large quantity of food and have no issues then eggs might be a better choice. Cool to know.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    250 grams of broccoli has more protein than a large egg so the OP's friend from Facebook is right. heheheh I love these threads. OP---sorry that you were wrong hehehehehe(yes...sarcasm)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The nutritional information on MFP doesn't seem to indicate a huge difference between cooked and raw broccoli either. I found 5-6 g for 200 grams of broccoli with both the (I think -- they've made it harder to tell) USDA cooked entry and a frozen one. I wonder why your broccoli has less.

That said, sixxpoint is right in that the protein in the broccoli lacks the essential amino acids (and I'm also not sure why an egg is the key comparison -- use some halibut or chicken instead and they blow the broccoli away even without taking into account protein quality).

Could be worse, though -- I know way too many people who get sucked into political arguments on FB!
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Lol at this entire thread and the premise of it.

Eggs > Broccoli from a protein standpoint.

Not even counting the weight of the foods to offer the same protein value, but the bioavailability of the protein in an egg is far greater.

I asked about combining proteins, and he suggested a salad composed entirely of green things. The internet suggests that if I'm worried about it, that I should pair green veggies with legumes and grains to complete my proteins. Food isn't consumed in a vacuum, though, and it's not like I don't eat meat.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Not even counting the weight of the foods to offer the same protein value, but the bioavailability of the protein in an egg is far greater.

I asked about combining proteins, and he suggested a salad composed entirely of green things. The internet suggests that if I'm worried about it, that I should pair green veggies with legumes and grains to complete my proteins. Food isn't consumed in a vacuum, though, and it's not like I don't eat meat.

Are you at work? Bored. . .didn't need to be. . . . .didn't want to be. . . . .this has a very similar feel to it. . . .

• autumnblade75
    Options
    250 grams of broccoli has more protein than a large egg so the OP's friend from Facebook is right. heheheh I love these threads. OP---sorry that you were wrong hehehehehe(yes...sarcasm)

250 grams of broccoli has more calories, too. Per calorie, raw broccoli approaches the protein value of an egg. But it doesn't have MORE.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I like broccoli cooked with a few eggs and some cheddar cheese = plenty of protein & no farts. Eastcoast Jim
  • autumnblade75
    Options

Are you at work? Bored. . .didn't need to be. . . . .didn't want to be. . . . .this has a very similar feel to it. . . .

Rest assured, I'm not wasting my employer's time and money on this. Similar feel to what?

• autumnblade75
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »
    I like broccoli cooked with a few eggs and some cheddar cheese = plenty of protein & no farts. Eastcoast Jim

Me, too.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    This thread is a breath of fresh air on the forums tonight and I needed it! You all win the interwebz! :heart:

You must not be breathing all the broccoli farts. ;)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I just had an argument on Facebook about protein content of broccoli vs. the protein content of eggs. The original claim was that broccoli is always a better protein option than eggs no matter how you measure. No criteria was established nor allowances made for different goals.

I have done some research, and it turns out that RAW broccoli contains far more protein than I would have guessed - 215g of RAW broccoli (6.1g protein) contains ALMOST as much protein as an egg (6.3g protein), at 74 calories for either option. After boiling, your broccoli has only 5g of protein. And we're talking about a rather large serving of broccoli - it isn't particularly calorie dense - factor whether you enjoy a huge pile of broccoli more than an egg into the equation.

While I am humbled by this discovery, and willing to cede that broccoli is a much better protein option than I had been willing to consider, I find it unfair that my combatant is unwilling to make a concession and specify that the broccoli must be in a raw state to confer the protein benefits he claims. I think that withholding that conditional element is dishonesty, and I can't seem to move on without some validation. Please validate me, people.
    If the bolded is the contention, you have to consider the lysine content of broccoli and most plant sources tends to be poor. The general rule of thumb is that vegan protein sources, owing to the greater difficulty in utilizing the proteins, should have 10% more protein to match an animal product source of protein.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2
    vs
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/120/2
    132 protein quality versus 82.
    Also, argue semantics. If the broccoli can be raw, the egg can be just egg whites. That's more protein per calorie.
  • autumnblade75
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I just had an argument on Facebook about protein content of broccoli vs. the protein content of eggs. The original claim was that broccoli is always a better protein option than eggs no matter how you measure. No criteria was established nor allowances made for different goals.

I have done some research, and it turns out that RAW broccoli contains far more protein than I would have guessed - 215g of RAW broccoli (6.1g protein) contains ALMOST as much protein as an egg (6.3g protein), at 74 calories for either option. After boiling, your broccoli has only 5g of protein. And we're talking about a rather large serving of broccoli - it isn't particularly calorie dense - factor whether you enjoy a huge pile of broccoli more than an egg into the equation.

While I am humbled by this discovery, and willing to cede that broccoli is a much better protein option than I had been willing to consider, I find it unfair that my combatant is unwilling to make a concession and specify that the broccoli must be in a raw state to confer the protein benefits he claims. I think that withholding that conditional element is dishonesty, and I can't seem to move on without some validation. Please validate me, people.
    If the bolded is the contention, you have to consider the lysine content of broccoli and most plant sources tends to be poor. The general rule of thumb is that vegan protein sources, owing to the greater difficulty in utilizing the proteins, should have 10% more protein to match an animal product source of protein.
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2356/2
    vs
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/120/2
    132 protein quality versus 82.
    Also, argue semantics. If the broccoli can be raw, the egg can be just egg whites. That's more protein per calorie.

Thank you. I like how you think, sir. I thought the "whites only" thing felt like cheating, since I would never consider eating an egg without it's yolk.
  • _Terrapin_
    Options

Rest assured, I'm not wasting my employer's time and money on this. Similar feel to what?

There was a thread a while ago by an OP(not you) who was really just blowing time at work. Obviously this is a more serious issue. Seriously, FB argument? Just agree and move on. You know what is correct and let other people suffer the fate of not knowing. The horror; the lack of protein; the lack of. . . gas without too much broccoli? Or too much Protein from the egg?

• autumnblade75
    Options

There was a thread a while ago by an OP(not you) who was really just blowing time at work. Obviously this is a more serious issue. Seriously, FB argument? Just agree and move on. You know what is correct and let other people suffer the fate of not knowing. The horror; the lack of protein; the lack of. . . gas without too much broccoli? Or too much Protein from the egg?

The hypocrisy of telling me I was misinformed, while proceeding to supply misinformation. Justice won't be met, here - I'm just licking my wounds. Thank you all for indulging me.

• _Terrapin_
    Options

The hypocrisy of telling me I was misinformed, while proceeding to supply misinformation. Justice won't be met, here - I'm just licking my wounds. Thank you all for indulging me.

hehhehe....best of luck in your journey.

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Maybe this could be a topic for the next Presidential debate.