sending a friend request message or not

Options
Ok I'm one that does not send a message if I ask someone to be my friend on mfp, mainly because most us are on this topic for motivation and support. I could not add anyone who has not posted on this forum. I support anyone who I'm friends with and don't see it as a problem if someone requests to be my friend. I mean all they can see is one picture and what I'm eating, not like Facebook which I'm more strict on who is my friend.

If anybody else is just looking for some motivation and support as this group says then please all add me! A short summary to why you want to be friends with me on mfp doesn't change anything but I'm thankful for you to share some of your time to write additional information about yourself :)

Is it just me who is not as strict with who you are friends with on an app? I'd love your input ❤

Replies

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people on here that are not strict with who they add. I am not one of those people. It's all personal preference and you are entitled to it! Find those that suit you. Keep sending your FR without a message and you will get those that don't care if you send one or not.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
  • The_Invisible_Boy
    The_Invisible_Boy Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. If I don't know them they get denied on Facebook. Don't care on here. I just hit the green check mark. I figure most on here have common goals.
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    I hate requests with no messages. I've never fared very well on blind dates.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't accept requests without a message anymore. Because it means they haven't bothered reading my profile, which specifically says "please add a message with your request"
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I don't accept requests without a message anymore. Because it means they haven't bothered reading my profile, which specifically says "please add a message with your request"

How do you read someone's profile?
  • Christine_72
    Options

I can't read them on my phone, you have to go on the computer.
    That's actually a good point! If they add me from their phone then they can't read my profile doh!!

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

That's actually a good point! If they add me from their phone then they can't read my profile doh!!

If they were really wanting to see your profile they could load the desktop pages through their browser even on a phone. I delete blank friend requests. If people can't read my profile they won't be able to read anything else I write so what's the point?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

If they were really wanting to see your profile they could load the desktop pages through their browser even on a phone. I delete blank friend requests. If people can't read my profile they won't be able to read anything else I write so what's the point?

True..

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i don't respond to friend requests without a message. yes, many of us here are in the same boat, but my profile also says to message me. besides, i prefer quality to quantity, and so someone who has some things in common with me is who i want to friend.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I just add people that send a request. But I haven't been here long, so I'm not overloaded with supporting the friends I do have.

Really it's all a guessing game anyway. I could ask for a resume, references, photo evidence of progress, etc, but that person that seems the perfect friend match may offer nothing, while another with no or few mutual goals/interests is the most mutually supportive. In the end, sometimes variety of goals could be a good thing, because you could get a view from the outside looking in, and a less subjective POV sometimes.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think it's flattering when someone adds you without you pleading for friends (which is probably really sad if you think about it haha). I do like someone saying something though just because it opens up that communication of being friendly and getting to start interacting with someone.

=P
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I seldom send friend requests to others, but if I do it's because I like something they've posted or I can identify with something in his or her profile. On those rare occasions, I will send a message to let the person know why I like or identify with him or her.

That said, I've never turned down a friend request from someone else--whether he or she has messaged me or not. I figure they have their reasons, and it doesn't hurt me to say yes.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A message of introduction with a friend request is nice. :)
    I do sometimes accept people who don't send a message with their friend request though. I look at their profile and see if they have posted on the board though to get an idea of who they are and what their goals are. If they have no profile info, 500 friends, haven't posted, or have a method/goal extremely different from mine then I probably won't accept.
    I'm not interested in collecting hundreds of friends. I like my friend list to be small (around 30 people) so I can really keep up with people.
  • pebs1081
    pebs1081 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I honestly didn't even realize you just can't see messages from phone..
  • pebs1081
    pebs1081 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Shoot..message got cut! I always assumed no one sent me a message..wonder what I missed out on!
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I don't accept friend requests that don't come with a message anymore UNLESS the person is morbidly obese. I don't add people who only have "5 lb" to lose because I don't feel like I have anything to offer a person in that position. However if a person with a low amount to lose accompanies the request with a message - I'll always accept. I don't like being on friends list of people who are just friend farming for the heck of it.