Do you own a veggie spiralizer?

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    isyvanek wrote: »
    I want to purchase a spiralizer. I spent a lot of time on Amazon today looking at the gazillions of spiral slicers/zoodle makers available.

One gal I know has a simple little Veggetti and seems to like it. A co-worker has the bigger table top Vegetti. She didn't like the little one because she had a lot of "left over veggie" and was afraid she'd grate her fingers.

Please tell me what brand/type of spiralizer you have and how you like it.

I have a spiralizer. I got it from Amazon. It was $29.97 and had 3 blades. I haven't used any other type.
    It's fun. Cleaning is pretty easy. The vegetable noodles cook quickly. You have to have a vegetable that is big enough and not a funky shape. I've used it with zucchini, potato, apple and parsnip.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Zoodles
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have a spiralizer brand. I rarely use, though it is easy enough to use and clean. Not as easy as a good sharp knife, but still easy.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    I want one. Might not need one, but I love gadgets. Anyhow.... Should I just buy a vegetti or spend more in a fancier one. I think Costco has a Westmark? Like a Paderno.... I would like to use more than zucchini. My friend swears by her vegetti but doesn't cook much ...

I use the Vegetti, but it's just for me and I mostly just use it for zuchinni (those mini zucchinis fit perfectly in it) or yellow summer squash (have to trim it down a little first). I tried it with a cucumber (too soft) and carrot (too hard and thin), but they were a fail. I find it's very easy to clean and I haven't come close to cutting myself with it.

• indigojoy
    indigojoy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have the Paderno one. I love using it on sweet potato - makes a great "hash" with an egg on top :)
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    After the zucchini comes out as noodles, then what? Do you have to boil it or eat it raw mixed in with spaghetti sauce? Please enlighten this newbie!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    After the zucchini comes out as noodles, then what? Do you have to boil it or eat it raw mixed in with spaghetti sauce? Please enlighten this newbie!

I just toss it in my heated sauce. Maybe let it cook for a moment, but it should be al dente and not overcooked.

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

You can boil them if you like, but only for a minute or two. I think they are fine raw, and I like the crunch. :)
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have a Veggti and use it for yellow squash. I sautee then for just a couple of minutes and they are sooo much better to me then zucchini noodles.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

My mother just got one. We cooked an oyster mushroom sauce that would normally be served with pasta. Where you normally add a bit of pasta water and the noodles and toss in the sauce for a minute over low heat, we just did not add any water and used the zucchini noodles.

It cooked the zucchini lightly. There was still crunch to them. I'd imagine if you wanted them softer you could cook them in the sauce longer.

I thought it turned out really nicely. Not going to fool anyone that it's pasta, of course. Keep in mind I like shirataki noodles too so long as they're used in an Asian dish and not to sub for Italian pasta.
  • shondaj70
    shondaj70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Picked this up yesterday at Marshall's for $5.99! Will try it tonight for dinner.90y25ex3k8pf.jpg
    4qtdgr0xgdj7.jpg
  • Loosing63
    Loosing63 Posts: 668 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I use it for zucchini and then fry the spirals in a pan with a little bit of olive oil (or butter), salt and pepper, add some bacon bits and a tablespoon of shredded mozarella. Makes a nice lunch with a piece of toast.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lurch Spiralo Vegetable Spiralizer Green/Cream - this is the one I have. It's very easy to use, works on all types of vegetables from cucumbers to potatoes, is very easy to clean as well, with very little waste (No core left just a small disk) (I often stop using gadgets because they are so much bother to clean up, but I use this several times a week.) It's very quick to use, and I am starting to love zoodles, I cook them in different ways, sometimes microwave them in a little chicken stock for flavour, use half and half with spaghetti as it bulks it out, raw on salads, or stir fry just for the last couple of minutes with whatever else I'm using. I wouldn't be without mine now. xx
  • isyvanek
    isyvanek Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all the great input and suggestions everyone! I hope to purchase something next month.
  • courtcassiefit
    courtcassiefit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have the mueller spiral pro...it is amazing! They have a great cookbook too
  • robeylori
    robeylori Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have the Paderno Spiralizer in my house - it is awesome! and the Veggetti in my camper, it gets the smaller jobs done.
  • ReinventVictoria
    ReinventVictoria Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use a mandolin I purchased at Canadian tire to make my zucchiniunzdbsn2ix0d.jpg
    noodles today and I love both the mandolin and the noodles :)
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have used the Vegetti, and liked it. But i tend to bulk prep meals, and hand-turning ten zucchini at a time got a little tiresome. I also found that i got a little careless toward the end, and a few different time i've nipped my fingers.

clean up is simple enough. I run it under hot water and take a nylon-bristled brush to it with a little soap. I then run a soap sponge over it, careful of direction so i don't get sponge pasta, and then rinse and air dry it.

I have also picked up a mandolin, and find that to be maybe a little more useful for quickly running through several zucchini in one sitting. The big difference is the mandolin sends out noodles only as long as the vegetable, whereas the vegetti gives you nice, long noodles.

My next purchase will be a Paderno, i think. I'd like to get blades to have a few options, and i think the crank will make bulk processing a bit better.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I love the paderno. I don't think the vegetti would work for me - it doesn't look like you can fit sweet potatoes, beets, butternut squash, apples, daikon, celeriac, rutabaga, etc in it. I like to spiralize a lot of different veggies!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    My friend is making me shrimp with zucchini noodles for dinner tonight. I didn't know what to bring so I'm bringing pasta salad. Still need all 4 food groups...