Body fat %?

What's a normal body fat %? I plugged my measurements into an online calculator and indicated 24.3%. Is that low/average? Thx!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Health and life extension wise 25% is about as good as it get based on my understanding at this point in time.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Your profile says female, so 24.3% is on the lower end of average. "Fitness" is usually considered 21-24%.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Online calculators for body fat based on measurements are horrendously unreliable. May give you a trend over time but that's about it.
    I tried a variety and got results from 14% to 22%.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    20-22 percent for female, 15 percent for male.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Any tips how to reduce body fat %?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited September 2015
    ydyms wrote: »
    Any tips how to reduce body fat %?

Start lifting heavy weights.
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a good program to start with: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    I've also noticed since i've cut back on Sugary Treats (i.e Doughnuts, Cakes, Soda etc.) but still eat the same calories - my body (and Skin) is starting to look better.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    It really is unreliable unless you pay a lot of money for a float test. But it's easy to know when your body fat is going down. Your weight stays the same and your muscles get hard.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    As long as you're using the same process to measure (i.e. scale, etc.) you can tell if you are going down. Float test is best, scales, pinch test, etc. will give you a ballpark figure.