Fitness Trackers - what's yours?

Options
Hey guys I've started with fitness Trackers with the Fitbit Flex which I loved bit hated the charging every week. It seemed pretty decent and accurate and the buzz got me addicted.

I then went to a misfit flash that gave me no end of headaches and then a shine. I find that the misfit tends to underestimate steps as it'll vary on a day to day a lot. Other than that it's a beautiful device.

I just purchased a fitbit charge HR as I really wanted a heart rate monitor and was wondering what is everyone's experiences with trackers? Is the HR accurate?
It seems like a cheaper solution to buying a polar.

Thanks!

Replies

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I have had a Polar HRM, and have a Garnin Vivo Smart

At this time I use an app to calculate my calorie burns for cycling. Weight lifting is not a good activity for any of those little monitors to record.

I don't count steps. It is just part of my day and not a true exercise beyond daily activity level

So the answer is...

None

I think they are over hyped toys. I know when I am panting and at full exertion! When I'm feeling muscle burn from 20 seconds of full effort sprint, the HRM does not capture that anyway

It is for long term steady state cardio

They were helpful when I started out since it got me involved and owning the whole workout thing. They were great for getting it as part of my daily thought process. For actual monitoring value what I do for exercise....? Meh.

Tape measure, scale, how sweat drenched my shirt is. Those are better indicators

• Kellyymcd
    Kellyymcd Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I just got the charge hr and I love it. It pushes me to work harder and burn more. Not sure about accuracy yet, I haven't had it long enough
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One and I really like it. I liked the idea of an HRM, but didn't want to have to wear something on my wrist all the time. The One seems pretty accurate, though.
  • ckfox95
    ckfox95 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip at the moment. It's pretty basic but does what it's supposed to. I'll be looking to upgrade to something with more options soon.
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Withings Pulse Ox. It measures steps, distance, calories burned, sleep - all accurately. It measure elevation sometimes. It also measures heart rate but you have to pop the unit off the wristband to do it. I bought it because it syncs with my Withings scale and both sync with MFP.
  • jbuzzed
    jbuzzed Posts: 10,173 Member
    Options
    Garmin vivofit for me. It made me want to start tracking everything!
  • grwrn
    grwrn Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Charge HR. This was an upgrade from the Flex. At first, I wanted only due to the watch band type but now I enjoy the HR monitor and feel it it accurate. Accurate or not, having a fitness tracker has helped keeping me accountable and motivated.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I just tried mine out this morning. Very disappointed that I couldn't set it for a continuous HR reading on the screen during exercising. About killed myself reaching over to push the damn button on the band to get a reading.
    Am I missing something or is there no way to keep HR on the screen?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Surge (model above the ChargeHR) and it so far has been fairly accurate with the calories burned. Now I weight lift with it on and that hasn't affected it's accuracy. Is it possible that it's overestimating calories during a weightlifting session and underestimating at some other point in the day? Totally. However, minor details like that don't bother me. My loss lines up with what I should expect when I compare the Fitbit calories out to my tracked intake. If it didn't, then I would make adjustments where needed.

• hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    PS.... Fitbit recommends moving the watch up to 3 finger widths from the wrist during workouts. This makes a big difference in HR reading. Much more accurate. :)
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys I hope I won't regret the Fitbit! The reviews online are quite mixed!
  • ktmcqueen18
    ktmcqueen18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit and it quit working for no reason. I chatted with someone on the fitbit website and they said you have 45 days to return or exchange for issues but I was past my 45 days. I've also heard mixed reviews about the fitbit. If I purchase another tracker it will be a vivofit for the screen and the good reviews that I have seen/heard.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I had a fitbit and it quit working for no reason. I chatted with someone on the fitbit website and they said you have 45 days to return or exchange for issues but I was past my 45 days. I've also heard mixed reviews about the fitbit. If I purchase another tracker it will be a vivofit for the screen and the good reviews that I have seen/heard.
    @ktmcqueen18
    They give you 45 days to request a refund. This is actually better than most. Garmin gives you 30 days. Polar gives you 30 days. Mio (the activity trackers not the drink mix) gives you 30 days. Jawbone gives the longest with their policy being 60 days.

Your defective Fitbit is still covered under a 1 year warranty where they will either repair it or send you a new (or refurbished their choice) device that is the same model as the one you have.

Here's the full policy if you want to read it:
    https://www.fitbit.com/returns

Edit:
    I had a Fitbit Flex that was malfunctioning. It was about 5 or 6 months old when I contacted them about it. They sent me a new one and didn't even request the defective one back (told me to dispose of it).
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a Polar V800 with H7 sensor. My heart rate shows on the cardio equipment, and I've used it several different places with different equipment. It controls the level/incline to keep my heart rate at the set rate of the machine. I can also set up the screen to show what I want to during exercise mode so no buttons to push. Since it's a chest strap I only wear it when I work out, the only time I need to know my heart rate. I only have to charge my watch about every 3 weeks.
  • ladytwilight72
    ladytwilight72 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I got a Garmin vivofit...I like that I don't have to recharge it
  • k2mexox
    k2mexox Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I've had mine since February and called Monday to get it replaced (my dog chewed the wrist band) and they replaced it overnight shipping. You have a one year warrantee with Fitbit.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar M400 and the H7 HR monitor. I've been a loyal polar customer for some time, I love the accuracy of the GPS and HR calculations and steps, I wear it everyday. I bought mine for about the same price as the fitbit charge, $150 on amazon about 6 months ago, I believe it's more on the polar site.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Vivofit with HRM and I <3 it!! I track miles each day, because steps are really meaningless to me, and I custom set my pace in my Vivofit to make sure my miles are accurate. The HRM seems accurate for me when I do my outdoor walks or indoor steady cardio. The Vivofit also tracks my sleep which has been very helpful. It also does not need charging :)- just a new battery once a year. I got it last Christmas and I have no idea how I ever lived without it!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @andyluvv What do you intend to do with the heart rate monitoring feature?
  • tiffanyfoundit
    tiffanyfoundit Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I run, and I know these aren't always accurate for calories burned, but I just want something to give me some sort of estimate for me better than having to hold my phone with a fitness app on it. Any ideas for that?