College life, limited food part 2

Options
i am good for breakfast. I have cereal, egg, and oats. But I do not know what to do for dinner or lunch, what do I buy that's healthy? My mom made complicated foods which need too many ingredients I don't have money or skill for. What are some quick foods I can buy for lunch and dinner?

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Buy foods in bulk if possible.

Protein;
    • Chicken breasts
    • Fish (tuna is pretty cheap)
    • Lentils
    • Beans
    • Whey protein

Carbohydrates;
    • Rice
    • Potatoes
    • Beans
    • Lentils
    • Fruit
    • Oats

Fats
    • Vegetable oils
    • Salmon (if you can get it for a cheap price)
  • RaijinPapi
    RaijinPapi Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Protein;
    • Chicken breasts
    • Lentils
    • Beans
    • Whey protein

Carbohydrates;
    • Rice
    • Potatoes
    • Beans
    • Lentils
    • Fruit
    • Oats

Fats
    • Vegetable oils

What is the "lentils"?
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    RaijinPapi wrote: »

Protein;
    • Chicken breasts
    • Lentils
    • Beans
    • Whey protein

Carbohydrates;
    • Rice
    • Potatoes
    • Beans
    • Lentils
    • Fruit
    • Oats

Fats
    • Vegetable oils

What is the "lentils"?

They are a pulse, part of the legume family. They are predominantly carbohydrates, but there is some protein in them too.
  • RaijinPapi
    Options

Protein;
    • Chicken breasts
    • Lentils
    • Beans
    • Whey protein

Carbohydrates;
    • Rice
    • Potatoes
    • Beans
    • Lentils
    • Fruit
    • Oats

Fats
    • Vegetable oils

What is the "lentils"?

They are a pulse, part of the legume family. They are predominantly carbohydrates, but there is some protein in them too.

English please. Pulse is like what you have on your arm right? Is it like a meat vegetable fruit ?
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited September 2015
    Options

Protein;
    • Chicken breasts
    • Lentils
    • Beans
    • Whey protein

Carbohydrates;
    • Rice
    • Potatoes
    • Beans
    • Lentils
    • Fruit
    • Oats

Fats
    • Vegetable oils

What is the "lentils"?

English please. Pulse is like what you have on your arm right? Is it like a meat vegetable fruit ?

This is English... there is a pulse in your arm, which is blood flowing from your heart, and there is also the pulse which is part of the legume family...
  • RaijinPapi
    Options

Protein;
    • Chicken breasts
    • Lentils
    • Beans
    • Whey protein

Carbohydrates;
    • Rice
    • Potatoes
    • Beans
    • Lentils
    • Fruit
    • Oats

Fats
    • Vegetable oils

What is the "lentils"?

This is English... there is a pulse in your arm, which is blood flowing from your heart, and there is also the pulse which is part of the legume family...

Well I don't want to meet he legume family I never met them before I am asking what is this pulse thing. Is it chewy sticky crunchy
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Protein;
    • Chicken breasts
    • Lentils
    • Beans
    • Whey protein

Carbohydrates;
    • Rice
    • Potatoes
    • Beans
    • Lentils
    • Fruit
    • Oats

Fats
    • Vegetable oils

What is the "lentils"?

Well I don't want to meet he legume family I never met them before I am asking what is this pulse thing. Is it chewy sticky crunchy

Cool if you don't want to meet them then don't bother asking for food recommendations... lol counter-intuitive? No?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    These are lentils. They are VERY cheap and a good source of protein. I eat lentils often.

5kpxwcake5xo.jpeg
    39mlg8yfmuvb.jpeg
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    i am good for breakfast. I have cereal, egg, and oats. But I do not know what to do for dinner or lunch, what do I buy that's healthy? My mom made complicated foods which need too many ingredients I don't have money or skill for. What are some quick foods I can buy for lunch and dinner?
    Eat breakfast food during lunch and dinner because you already know how to cook them and they are usually cheap.
    As far as figuring out "meals." Think about food items instead of society's notions of what counts as a meal.
    Also, forget about what counts as healthy and instead think about what works for you in terms of money, time, calories, protein.

What foods do you like to like to cook? Build from that.
    Maybe make tacos or burritos for a meal: tortillas, meat, pinto beans, spices.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    A life without lentils (legumes in general) is a life wasted. Get on the wagon, there's a bit of room left for you.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    A store roasted chicken and a couple of bags of frozen vegetables can probably get you through a couple of dinners for around $10.
  • kmoyes9
    kmoyes9 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    They are a great addition to chilli !!
    If you go to the grocery isle where the kidney beans and chick peas are -- you will find them. Also available dry ( so you soak etc). But I think you should start with the canned kind !! Good luck :)
  • RaijinPapi
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    These are lentils. They are VERY cheap and a good source of protein. I eat lentils often.

5kpxwcake5xo.jpeg
    39mlg8yfmuvb.jpeg

I see thank you how do I make them?
  • RaijinPapi
    Options
    What is the c
    kmoyes9 wrote: »
    They are a great addition to chilli !!
    If you go to the grocery isle where the kidney beans and chick peas are -- you will find them. Also available dry ( so you soak etc). But I think you should start with the canned kind !! Good luck :)

what is the chick peas
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Chickpeas also know as garbanzo beans is what hummus is made from.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Sandwiches!

Re the complicated foods your mom made - what's your ethnic background? Off hand, I know I can simplify some Thai and Indian recipes.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Protein;
    • Chicken breasts
    • Lentils
    • Beans
    • Whey protein

Carbohydrates;
    • Rice
    • Potatoes
    • Beans
    • Lentils
    • Fruit
    • Oats

Fats
    • Vegetable oils

What is the "lentils"?

Also known as dal.

• nicjbar73
    nicjbar73 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    are u in dorms or ur own place? this will limit ur fridge freezer space
    id go with fruits that can sit out apples,oranges, bananas
    baby carrots, tomatoes
    canned chili beans have sauce already u can add a can of kidney beans & get 2meals canned or pouched tuna you can buy those rice pouches that are flavored & add a veg & meat to them for a meal. if ur at ur own place buy a bag of chicken breasts season 2 different ways(italian,cajun) cook for 1hr on 425 cool then put each flavor in ziplock bag flat & refreeze. take out as needed microwave for 1min or put in lunchbox & thawed by lunch, dinner.u can also make ham egg cheese english muffins & wrap in plastic wrap & freeze 1min in microwave eat for lunch or dinner.
  • RaijinPapi
    Options
    nicjbar73 wrote: »
    are u in dorms or ur own place? this will limit ur fridge freezer space
    id go with fruits that can sit out apples,oranges, bananas
    baby carrots, tomatoes
    canned chili beans have sauce already u can add a can of kidney beans & get 2meals canned or pouched tuna you can buy those rice pouches that are flavored & add a veg & meat to them for a meal. if ur at ur own place buy a bag of chicken breasts season 2 different ways(italian,cajun) cook for 1hr on 425 cool then put each flavor in ziplock bag flat & refreeze. take out as needed microwave for 1min or put in lunchbox & thawed by lunch, dinner.u can also make ham egg cheese english muffins & wrap in plastic wrap & freeze 1min in microwave eat for lunch or dinner.

We don't have a microwave
  • RaijinPapi
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Sandwiches!

Re the complicated foods your mom made - what's your ethnic background? Off hand, I know I can simplify some Thai and Indian recipes.

Mexican. I have sandwiches but that's inhumane to eat a sandwich for lunch