Options
2»

Replies

• RaijinPapi
    RaijinPapi Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Justifier wrote: »
    RaijinPapi wrote: »
    Sounds like you need the chicken. Your diet lacks protein it seems like.

Do you have "chicken" money? Because I don't. I barely make rent

Food costs money, man. If you are just barely making rent without feeding yourself adequately, you need to look at either how much you are spending on rent or how much you're making between work and student loans. Last resort, check into welfare or food shelves. If you're really that hard up that you can't buy chicken, rethink your situation.

I am cheap I have little money so I am trying to find something cheaper than chicken.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Frozen chicken, you can pick up a kg for cheap.. Just take out what you need and cook it the night before . Pop some chicken and vegetables in a sandwich box and your good to go for college the next day.
    Define cheap. My budget for one month on food is $30

$30/month??? That's $1/day. You seriously need to think about picking up a part time job or reworking your living situation to lower your rent. When I was in college I was on a shoestring budget. Good cheap meals that I ate often were:

microwaved sweet potato ($0.50), can of black beans or pinto beans ($0.69) and salsa ($2/jar-lasts 2 weeks)
    spinach & cheese quesadilla made with 2 flour tortillas ($1/pack of 10), 1/2 cup cheese ($2/2 cups), frozen spinach ($1/bag)
    Wendy's chili and baked potato ($1 each on value menu)
    Ramen noodles ($0.25) with frozen veggies ($1/bag)
    Canned tuna ($1) and rice ($2/bag)

All of these meals are less than $2 and might not be optimal nutrition wise, but you could do worse.

• RaijinPapi
    RaijinPapi Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There's no aldiv
    You may not want to hear this but you can find some pretty amazing stuff at food pantries. Sometimes even things like protein bars are donated. Worth taking a look at if you are struggling. You definitely need to be eating more protein. Do you have an Aldi's or ruler foods near you? I eat a clean diet with 45% of it being protein and I get all of my groceries at Aldi' super cheap. You can get bags of frozen chicken breasts or tubes of ground turkey very reasonable. They have great produce too. Message me and we can chat about some of the things I make! I think I can help you!
    there's a price rite and wal mart
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Food costs money, man. If you are just barely making rent without feeding yourself adequately, you need to look at either how much you are spending on rent or how much you're making between work and student loans. Last resort, check into welfare or food shelves. If you're really that hard up that you can't buy chicken, rethink your situation.

I am cheap I have little money so I am trying to find something cheaper than chicken.

Buy dry beans and legumes. These are protein options for vegetarians. Much cheaper when you soak them yourself.

Dark meat chicken is always going to be cheaper than chicken breast. Buy chicken thighs and throw them in a crock pot. Strip off the meat & freeze portions in zip-lock sandwich bags. 2 layers of bags will work like a freezer bag. The outside bag can be used over again (no need to buy expensive freezer bags).
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, tortillas, dried beans, rice, lentils, corn,

Check out hillbilly housewife website, this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hMcMiIIAgA
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am in college. I live off campus so I don't have a meal plan. For breakfast I am fine, oatmeal, eggs, cereal, French toast. However, for lunch and dinner I find myself having to eat noodles or rice. I don't know what to buy for that time. Chicken is good but it only lasts 2 days for like $5 and I don't have that luxury. What are some recipes?

I ate a ton of ramen in college. WORST decision I ever made.

Find a way to eat whole foods for dinner. Don't think in the box, there are no "breakfast foods", eat nutrient dense foods at meal times, don't label them.

Ramen is NOT a nutrient dense food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    TinyTexn59 wrote: »

Check out hillbilly housewife website, this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hMcMiIIAgA

Don't do this.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    TinyTexn59 wrote: »

Don't do this.
    What She said!!! So much sodium, I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing veggies or fruit...maybe they were there? Even canned veggies rinsed in water, in the dent and bent stores have some nutrition... 4/$1 sale veggies... gotta look and keep asking around.

Food pantries
    FoodNetworks
    Gotta be something in your area? Some is based on income, some isn't...a lot of time students get first pick on give away, clothes, food etc.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This chickpea dahl recipe is probably good (haven't tried this particular one), and among the cheaper kinds of things you could make, but just the spices would cost ~$6 (or more) at my cheapest local grocery store. Ginger root, tomato paste, onions - all told it would cost $15 at least if you didn't have any of the stuff to start with. I mean You'd then have spices and tomato paste and ginger root for other meals, of course, but if you can't buy them in the first place you'd be SOL.

^^

Seriously. Are you working right now? If you're not, can you pick up a shift on the weekend at a bar? If you are, and it's not enough, and you're in the cheapest accommodation you can find (roommates etc), I think you need to talk to your school's financial aid people.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are not living in some country where $30 is a lot of money, then you need a job. Or a roommate to help with rent. Or to cut down any other expenses. Or figure out if there is any financial aid program. Or most probably all of the above. You are not going to survive on $1 per day for food.