What are your game plans for the holiday temptations?!

Options

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Well last year, I ate what I wanted without restrictions on Thanksgiving, my son's Birthday (2 days before christmas) and christmas. I stuck to a deficit the rest of the time (adding small treats here and there, but not going all out) and I continued to lose weight through the holidays.

This year will be a little trickier, because I should be transitioning to maintenance before the holidays. To prevent a gain (fat gain, not the water weight gain...I expect and accept temp water gains), I might set my goal to 0.5 lb per week loss for the weeks that the holidays land in. By doing that I should end up with an extra 1500 calories I can eat over maintenance on Thanksgiving. It should also give me 1250 extra calories to divide between my son's birthday and Christmas.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    ESotrops wrote: »
    Oh and I'm in Canada so my thanksgiving is in October, so coming up!

Thanksgiving weekend in Canada is usually fairly nice ... or it was when I was living on the Canadian prairies. A little chilly, but not usually much snow, and often some great autumn colours.

So I took advantage of the long weekend to get outside for long bicycle rides each day. :)

Then dinner in our house was usually turkey and lots of veg ... which is fine. That's relatively low-cal. And of course we'd have a small slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream. But after the long bicycle ride, that's OK too.

• Loveslupins
    Loveslupins Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving doesn't worry me. The "feast" includes so much healthy stuff that I rarely gain. Looking forward to it.

Halloween has me shaking in my boots. Last year was my first year ever that I didn't overeat mini chocolate bars purchased for the kiddies. I was oh so proud to have consumed exactly none. But within a few days of Halloween I went on a sweets mini-binge. Plan to eat a decadent but not overly sugary treat like ice cream or cheesecake that evening.

Halloween is a big problem for me too! I always eat too many of the chocolate bars that we are giving out and I usually dig into my kids bags while they're at school too! So much so, that they've learned they have to find a really good hiding spot before they leave or they will come home to a lot less candy!
  • masterloafer
    masterloafer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh Halloween. I didnt even think about that. Oh no! Last year i planned on doing the "teal pumpkin " thing - foodless treats, like little toys or games instead of food. There are ao many kids with allergies or sensitivity now that i heard about the idea but got too lazy and just handed out chocolate last year... and of course ate the left overs.. this year I think I'll make a real effort to keep the goodies out of the house in the first place.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Oh Halloween. I didnt even think about that. Oh no! Last year i planned on doing the "teal pumpkin " thing - foodless treats, like little toys or games instead of food. There are ao many kids with allergies or sensitivity now that i heard about the idea but got too lazy and just handed out chocolate last year... and of course ate the left overs.. this year I think I'll make a real effort to keep the goodies out of the house in the first place.

My mother does that ... she hands out little school supplies like fancy pencils and erasers and little notepads and stuff like that.

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

My mother does that ... she hands out little school supplies like fancy pencils and erasers and little notepads and stuff like that.

When I was a kid I would have avoided your mom's house the following year for sure. LOL
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I think there are times when it's totally appropriate to feast. I don't log on Thanksgiving or Christmas.
  • Machka9
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

When I was a kid I would have avoided your mom's house the following year for sure. LOL

She's only started doing that in the last 10 years or so. She may have become tired of the whole handing out candy thing after all these years. :grin:

If we handed out Halloween candy here, I think I'd do the same thing now. Fortunately that's not a thing here, so we don't have to worry about it. :)

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I plan on limiting my calories a bit maybe to around 1,500-1,700, & then saving my adjusted calories from my Fitbit so I can use it as a buffer.

I am sure I'll go to my sister's Church Thanksgiving meal, but not sure I am going to go anywhere Thanksgiving day yet. It mostly depends on when I'll work.

I'll probably do the same around Christmas.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating, logging and moving on. Being conscientious and using moderation, just like any other day.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Work all Thanksgiving morning to burn calories, eat the things I love in moderation. Christmas week last year I didn't log, and I'll probably do the same this year.

Really, one day won't hurt in the long run. Just don't let it last for weeks.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Seeing as how our thanksgiving is this coming weekend, I plan to bank some calories to have some extra treats for dinner. I also plan on eating my normal breakfast and lunch as being overly hungry at dinner time would lead me to overeat for sure. I will drink lots of water (as usual) and hopefully go for a nice long walk sometime during the day.

And most of all, I will enjoy the time together with family.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Last year I ate at maintenance from Thanksgiving on and didn't worry about it at all on Thanksgiving or Christmas day. I'll do the same this year.

Halloween candy is not really an issue for me. I more enjoy the homemade foods from the other holidays.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    My plans are to eat and enjoy myself.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I plan on enjoying the foods I really love, like I love dressing but am not a mashed potato fan, so I'm not wasting calories on mashed potatoes. I plan on logging everything and since Holiday meals are at my moms, but I provide the sides and desserts while my mom provides the meat, I can make sure there are lots of nice veggies and what not to nosh on.

My biggest coping is small servings and slow eating. Desserts, I cater more to things my husband and kids love and less to the things I love. I am also sticking with my exercise, so I"ll still be on program even if it's a higher calorie day.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving isn't a big deal with my family, maybe more so for other Canadians. I'll make the usual but add a few LCHF options for me like a few types of fat bombs instead of pie or chips. There'll be nuts, veggies and dips, and chips. Dinner will have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, a couple of types of veggies (maybe beans and a mashed turnip and carrot), salad, buns and ham. Dessert will be pie, whipped cream and LC treats (fat bombs). I'll just eat what works for me and skip the spuds, buns, pie, and have just a bit of turnip.

The bigger deal for me is ensuring the food is all gluten free and nut free for health safety reasons.

For Halloween, I will abstain entirely. I have a deal with the kids that they can eat candy that night and then keep ten things in exchange for a small toy, or cash this year. LOL. I then give away their candy to the later kids. Hopefully we'll end up with very few leftovers, which hubby can then have.

Christmas will be mainly about family, and less about the treats.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I found that the biggest issue with the holidays, is not the day itself, but the next few days when I choose to continue eating like a piggie. Honestly one 3000 calorie day won't mess anyone up when every other day is at a deficit.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    One thing I learned in WW was to mentally divide the plate into sections and make sure I put vegetables in the biggest section. I really found that eliminated overeating all the carbohydrates at Thanksgiving, anyway. It got one section, but then.....that was it.

I always indulge in the pie, though. It's a holiday!
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I have a different approach. He is a free-for-all style (but I do all of the meal planning and cooking normally, so as long as I continue it is no difficulty for him to get back on track). I will likely not watch my calories on the days we are actually celebrating (3 days of Christmas, 2 Thanksgivings), but I wont eat something that is normally off limits for me. I will also ensure that I have meal-planned from Dec 27-on for about a week to avoid the temptation of stretching that further.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I like to eat during the holidays, but I walk about 7 miles per day on average so I should be good to go.