YAYOG users? Or does anyone use strength routines from a book?

Options
alias1001
alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
edited September 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Are you out there?

(I don't see a lot of You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG) threads, but it's like Insanity or Convict Conditioning in that it relies almost solely on body weight for strength training.

Been doing the DVD routines since April with rather impressive results. I'm fitter and stronger than I've ever been in my life, but a big bonus is that the trainer (Mark Lauren) is pretty low-key.)

Anyway, I need to graduate from the DVDs because even the Advanced routines are becoming less challenging. The program has a book which I own and an app. What does everyone use? Should I pay more money and get the app?

Or more generally, is it hard to do exercises from a book if you're used to guided training? Anything to watch out for?

Thanks! :smile:

P.S. Always on the lookout for friends, especially any that actually do YAYOG or the like. Add me.

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The app is okay.......not great by any stretch, just okay.
    The function that I liked is that it keeps your schedule, and times out each day's workout. Nothing groundbreaking, but it serves a purpose and fulfills a need.

As far as the book goes, I didn't really use so much as a workout guide as I did a change in my mentality towards working out. The knowledge I gained from the book put me on a better track towards fitness and weight loss. In turn, I have shared that knowledge with others and helped them on the same path.

The book makes a great case for shifting away from the elliptical and treadmill, and more towards strength training, which I have adopted somewhat. I still do cardio, but more as a warmup for my strength training.
  • alias1001
    Options
    Thanks for the opinion on the app. I'm thinking I'll give the book routines a try for a couple weeks to see if I need the timer/guidance or not.

I agree with most of the book, too. Very non-gimmick-y.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have the book and the app. I haven't been using them recently but I found using them together worked well back when I was doing it.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have The Body Sculpting Bible for Women and I LOVE it. I have a set of dumbbells at home from 5 to 40lbs, so I can get a little more variety than just body weight exercises. I've followed the program multiple times and I love the way my body looks and feels after going through a 6-week program.
  • mrsirtoyou
    mrsirtoyou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, glad to see fellow YAYOGers here. I've been using the Android app with the book. Just finished week 6 of the beginner level. I've been very impressed with the program. I haven't lost any weight--actually gained one or two pounds--but I'm definitely getting stronger, and my clothes are fitting better. I can't recommend the program enough.

The Android app isn't perfect, but it's very good. It's great to have the built-in timer and progress tracking. It's also nice to have the built-in warmup and cooldown videos.

I just wish I knew how many calories-burned to enter here...
  • alias1001
    Options
    mrsirtoyou wrote: »
    Hey, glad to see fellow YAYOGers here. I've been using the Android app with the book. Just finished week 6 of the beginner level. I've been very impressed with the program. I haven't lost any weight--actually gained one or two pounds--but I'm definitely getting stronger, and my clothes are fitting better. I can't recommend the program enough.

The Android app isn't perfect, but it's very good. It's great to have the built-in timer and progress tracking. It's also nice to have the built-in warmup and cooldown videos.

I just wish I knew how many calories-burned to enter here...

It's almost impossible to know the calories burnt in any strength training. I just usually log it as circuit training.

Book routines a month in: challenging, but I do wonder if I'm doing them correctly. No injuries so far, so I guess it's all good.
  • mrsirtoyou
    mrsirtoyou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Book routines a month in: challenging, but I do wonder if I'm doing them correctly. No injuries so far, so I guess it's all good.

Well, for me there have been a few exercises that I did for a while and then realized I wasn't doing them properly or fully. When I corrected my form, I wasn't able to do the full range of movement, so I had to downgrade to an easier variation. D: It was a bit disheartening, but oh well, this is a long-term program anyway. :D
    II absolutely LOVE the whole YAYOG approach to working out though. I now know that I can get a workout wherever I am, with whatever is available even if it's nothing more than my own body.

Ditto! (And if you ever want a bit more variety, you might consider Shovelgloving on your off days. That's a lot of fun too.)