meat weight

Options
2»

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Well @stevencloser I buy cheap bacon...and the thick sliced kind. I also have a small container (think the containers the Japanese restaurant gives you to put soy sauce in)..but ceramic. I also cook 4-6 slices at a time.... so I get 3 T. out of the pan....It happens... lol
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I usually make 3 at once and get barely more than necessary to make it sizzle and a thin film left on the pan.
  • Annr
    Options
    I usually make 3 at once and get barely more than necessary to make it sizzle and a thin film left on the pan.

hmmm maybe its an Oregonian thing..Hahaha....I use a large pan....and get enough oil to not only make it sizzle but also POP...(I hate that).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It sometimes makes a weird popping noise and a streak of fat on the bacon turns white. It's a really curious thing to watch.
  • Annr
    edited September 2015
    Options
    YEP......sometimes its memorizing and my mind says..."You are not REALLY going to EAT that...." I don't for the most part, but I do have a strip now and then if I have a great tomato..
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Always weigh before. The nutrition labels are ALWAYS reporting raw uncooked values. You're going to be over eating if you base your measurements off the cooked weight and are logging based on the nutrition label info
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I always weigh raw!
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    The values are worse for the reasons I named. Fat cooks out of the bacon, the bacon has less calories, cool. You use the same pan to cook your eggs though without cleaning it out and you're getting part of that cooked out fat back into your intake.

Who in their right mind doesn't clean out a pan??? Silly thing.

I don't think he means never cleaning. Like I make sausage and use the grease from it to cook my eggs in instead of using another pan and putting oil in it. It's just efficient. I clean the pan after I'm done cooking every morning.

Most major chains, when selling certain sizes of meat, base this off of it's precooked weight. Of course, I think it's better to overestimate than to underestimate.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    The amount that cooks out depends a lot on the time you cook it, if you put anything else in the same pan the fat sticks to it, etc.
    I'd rather eat less calories than I thought than not lose because I overestimated how much fat got lost cooking.

This! :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    The values are worse for the reasons I named. Fat cooks out of the bacon, the bacon has less calories, cool. You use the same pan to cook your eggs though without cleaning it out and you're getting part of that cooked out fat back into your intake.

Not to mention yummy yummy eggs!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    c_ross624 wrote: »
    Is it better to weigh meats before or after they are cooked? Thanks!

I weigh raw or cooked, depending on what is more practical at the time. The key for accuracy is to get a system generated entry. These will say raw, cooked, or smoked, and have all the options for weight listed, and tend to have long descriptions.

vdz2m1ly5u7i.png