Do you do much cardio now that you've reached your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Yes, I continue to do cardio because I like to eat. I also want to look lean and fit, which is why I do strength training as well. Personally, I don't like to do either, but I have no choice. :D
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for heart health and ease of movement, and bone density-promoting types are of value. You'll thank yourself later in life when you're NOT stooped over and aching. Find something you like to do.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Yes. I love cardio. It's the resistance training that I've always had to force myself through.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine who took up cycling to work was asked why.... 'I like eating cake' was the answer.

I excercise cos I want to be fit, would rather look fit-ish, and I really like cake. Today's bike ride was good fun (along the River Thames in glorious sunshine for a few hours) and I also got to eat chocolate eclairs, croissants and a magnum ice cream today. ... What's not to like?
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Yes I still do it as it's good for my asthma and anxiety as well as helping having an extra treat whilst maintaining(an hour's class is about the calories of a soya cappuccino and a cupcake or cookie).

I find cardio machines quite boring so only really use them for warm up and cooling down for about 10-15 minutes when I'm doing weights, but I enjoy classes like spin, fbx, bokwa, bodycombat etc which keeps me entertained while I'm doing it. x
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If you hate cardio don't do it. Find something you love and find easy to do.

As for me, i'd never go to the gym. I walk the dog every day and that has recently become running. I go for about 30 minutes every day. If i didn't have a dog i wouldn't go every day but she has to and then so do i.

The notion that you have to do 1-2 hours etc is so wrong. You don't have to do any exercise to lose weight. And if you are really obese then you are probably shouldn't do any at all until you are much thinner.

Doing a lot of exercise for weightloss is a recipe for failure.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Even when I was fat all my favorite activities were cardio centric.

I won't be doing as much cardio now as I will be when I'm in maintenance (not too long from now). I'll be doing more. I have ultra marathons in my future.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes, I continue to do cardio because I like to eat. I also want to look lean and fit, which is why I do strength training as well. Personally, I don't like to do either, but I have no choice. :D

That is pretty much like me. I'd rather stay in bed than exercise, but I drag my butt out without fail. On the other hand, I always have a great workout and feel wonderfully virtuous all day. And I have a glass or two of wine at supper :smiley:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner by habit, so yes i will always run. it works great, because i can eat and drink big on the weekends, and it doesn't really hinder my weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    About the same. A typical week would be three strength sessions and three cardio sessions, often cycling and one of those may be a multi hour ride.
    Heart health is important to me as my Mum's last dozen years was severely compromised by a heart attack.

But I also enjoy the activities I do and love the feeling of energy being fit gives me in daily life.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I run or cycle every day.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I run three times a week and walk on the days I do Body By You or rest.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I walk the dog every day and that has recently become running. I go for about 30 minutes every day.

Isn't THIS cardio?
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    No I don't do any purposeful cardio atm, but I'm pretty active in general and jump on the trampoline w my kids most days. Just doing strong lifts.
  • jhonen32629
    jhonen32629 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I still do cardio. I run 5 times a week and really enjoy it.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just do drop sets, pyramid sets with my lifts, with little to no breaks in between. Best cardio that I've ever found. This all matters if the person lifts though.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Forget cardio. Pump iron.
  • aComputerHero
    aComputerHero Posts: 20 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm really buying into this "energy flux" thing. Basically, take 2 identical people. One burns 2000 calories a day and eats 2000 calories a day. The other burns 3000 calories a day and eats 3000 calories a day. Unless the latter fills out their meals with junk foods, fried foods, etc... they will be healthier and probably weigh less.

So my plan now that I'm in maintenance is to continue to work hard at fitting cardio into my day so that I can eat well, snack between meals, and drink some beer now and then. 4 weeks into maintenance and I've lost another 4 lbs, so I'm creeping my calories up each week to find that balance point. I think for me, 6 ft 175 lbs, 5-6 hours a week of running, desk job, that it's going to be about 2700-3000 calories a day. Seems like so much now, but back when I was 275 lbs I could eat that much at a Chinese buffet in 30 minutes.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

...you need to get over this idea that exercise is purely for burning calories...it is a functional bi-product of exercise, but not the purpose.

I don't think it is your place to say what should or shouldn't motivate someone to exercise. It's advised to brush your teeth to prevent tooth decay. But I bet a lot of people brush just to get that icky taste out. Does it really matter the reason?

With that said, my intense cardio (running) is usually limited to 30 minutes. I then add in a lot of walking throughout the day but never 2 hours straight. I like being active for many reasons : yes for health. But also for the energy and good feelings. And mostly so I get to eat more!!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    xstephnz wrote: »
    I'm wondering what the future holds for me. I like to eat a lot of food, so I'm wondering if I will still need to do an hour or two of cardio a day once I get to goal, or maybe just do 30 minutes a day, then splurge on the weekends.

What is your method? I personally hate cardio. I have thought about getting a treadmill or bike and setting up a tv with movies infront of it and doing some exercise first thing in the morning. Bit short on cash though :-(

hmmmm ... I'm not sure what your definition of "eat a lot of food" is but if you eat more than you burn (above TDEE) then you will gain weight.

Cardio in maint is more for heart health and balancing blood glucose levels.

I do about 30 minutes of cardio and body weight strength training & have maintained 2+ yrs now.

If you hate cardio YouTube some compound exercises to cover muscle building AND cardio at the same time. Tons of equipment free circuit training comes to mind. Just Google equipment free exercises and whatever series seems appealing to you do them with little or no break in between each set then vala! There's your cardio.

Good luck.