Thinking Recomp

I am 42, 5'5". My highest weight was 145 lbs, over the last year I've gotten down to 130, which was my original goal weight. Unfortunately, almost all that 15 lbs came off my arms & legs, my belly and butt are still an issue, measurements there haven't budged. If I could make a wish and have the body I wanted, I would have more muscular arms and legs, and less fat around my middle. I'm afraid if I continue at a deficit, my arms and legs will get too skinny!

So I'm thinking about switching to recomp and focusing on building some muscle eating at maintenance. I know it's a slow process, but how long should it take for me to see some results and know if a recomp is the right path, or if I should switch back to a deficit to burn off more fat? Are we talking 6 months, a year? My weight loss was super slow because I really wasn't in a rush, I knew they were mostly vanity lbs. But now that it didn't come off where I wanted it too (damn you genetics!) I feel like I need a goalpost out there somewhere to focus on in order to stay patient.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome! I'm not looking for a bikini-model stomach, but I don't want to end up with Sponge Bob limbs in order to get this extra layer of fat off my middle :)

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I think if you follow a progressive heavy lifting program (New Rules of Lifting For Women is one I have used) you will see results you feel good about by the 6 month period, and if you keep at it, you will continue to see results - less Sponge Bob for sure.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Thanks, that's encouraging! And NROL is actually one I was considering.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Yes you can eat near maintenance and lift heavy with high protein. Then give it 8 weeks.
  • Here is a good article on Body Recomp from MFP. I went from 'fat guy with some hidden muscle' to 'muscly guy who has some fat to lose' and I'm still at it. The best part is that when you fill out shoulders and chest you develop a 'V' shape which actually helps hide remaining belly fat. So, in effect, there's a double advantage - losing fat, hiding it with muscle. While I still need to lose a bunch of fat, I look much better in a t-shirt.
  • kimny72
    Thanks guys!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I have/had similar stats and issues when I stopped losing and looked to a recomp. 5'4", and at 130 I was pretty thin up top but had fatty thighs and butt. I only lasted about 3-4 months in a recomp. During that time I saw some interesting things-veins started showing where they were hidden before, hip bone started popping more. Nothing drastic measurement wise but my body did LOOK better. Even now, I'm back in a deficit, and I think I looked better in maintenance. It's really hard to pinpoint and describe.
  • kimny72
    Thanks @arditarose that's interesting. I guess ultimately it ends up being an experiment for each one of us, right?

I naturally tend to eat lighter and get more cardio when it's warmer, so I think I'm going to keep that up until the weather turns, and when it does I'll give myself the extra calories and try to put on a little muscle!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Thanks @arditarose that's interesting. I guess ultimately it ends up being an experiment for each one of us, right?

I naturally tend to eat lighter and get more cardio when it's warmer, so I think I'm going to keep that up until the weather turns, and when it does I'll give myself the extra calories and try to put on a little muscle!

Enjoy! If anything, I can say that I felt amazing and workouts were on point. Lifting was very fun in maintenance.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Recomp is awesome, just remember, it takes an extreme amount of patience.