Running/cardio when sick

Options
Do you?

I know it's not a good idea, but I'm really "craving" a run. Currently sat here with a mild cough on a drizzly morning, and looking longingly outside.

Replies

• taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    No. When I am sick I look for comfort foods and bed rest.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I never train when I am genuinely sick.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    depends.
    if i feel up to it. but if i don't feel up to it, i don't.
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think the official rule is if its neck up ur ok to do it, its neck down, better to rest.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If it's just a head cold (I'm sinus/allergy/broken), I usually do. However, if it heads towards the chest or I'm body-aching, I don't. Rest up.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Sick from what? An allergy, then I'll go - running usually helps with sinus-type problems for me. A viral/bacterial infection, then no. I tend to take longer to recover if I do that. I might take a walk or stretch, or do other types of things I'd do on a rest day.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    If it's just a head cold (I'm sinus/allergy/broken), I usually do. However, if it heads towards the chest or I'm body-aching, I don't. Rest up.

That's generally how I feel. I find that running actually opens up my lungs and helps me breathe better and end up feeling better. If I feel totally run down and like I'm ready to collapse, I would not. But if you're craving a run I'd say it's probably the former and you'll be fine.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Sick from what? An allergy, then I'll go - running usually helps with sinus-type problems for me. A viral/bacterial infection, then no. I tend to take longer to recover if I do that. I might take a walk or stretch, or do other types of things I'd do on a rest day.

For me it's this ^^^
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'd say do what you feel you're up to, especially if you feel a craving for a run. But you might want to think about adjusting your route.

If I'm feeling under the weather, that's where I either hit a treadmill or a sports-style running track. Then, if I suddenly find myself less able to continue on than I'd originally thought, it's easier to get back to my car. Large loops or out-and-back routes, even if only long enough for 5k distance, can be really obnoxious because you either have to finish the loop or backtrack the entire distance you've already gone.
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Try a walk rather than a run. The last time I had a mild cough and was craving a run, I went out, had an asthma attack at 2.2k and was out of action for a month and off work over a week. Bad times!
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If it's a runny nose/cough, I usually just go ahead and work out. Like someone said above, it usually makes me feel a bit better and clears up my sinuses. However, if your chest is very congested and your coughing excessively during your run/workout, then that would be the time to rest.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If really sick, I rest. If just a little sniffles, I'll still workout.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It depends what I'm sick with. If it's a stomach bug I don't do anything. If its a cold/sinus thing then I try and do something light, like a slow bike ride or a nice walk around the neighborhood, just so I do something.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I do
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If it's just a head cold/the sniffles and you have the energy, sure. I usually do something light. If you have an infection, fever, body aches, respiratory issues etc - no.

I have the flu at the moment. All I'm doing is some light stretching because I'm getting cramped from sleeping so much. I miss exercise
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    It really depends. If it's along the lines of a stuffy nose (allergy/minor cold related). Then, ya, cardio helps me breathe which actually makes me feel better for a little bit anyway.

Now, if it's like recently where I had bronchitis, then no. I won't workout at all (no lifting or cardio). I'm actually just getting over the cough, but I haven't worked out most of September since I've had it. The fever went away with the antibiotics I was prescribed, but I've still had the deep cough from my chest. I was told to take it easy until the cough went away. Thankfully, it's just about gone because I miss my workouts. I'm also pretty sure my fellow gym goers appreciate that I didn't come into the gym with it.